1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jet Boats?

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by MAXTacoma, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Oct 22, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    novakills

novakills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, debadged, TRD exhaust, bed d-ring mod, rubber bed mat, 6000K Bi-xenon headlights, 3000K HID foglights, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT PLUS Hood Struts, 2" Toytec AAL w/Bilstein 5100s, 1" aluminum tapered leaf spring spacer, Eibach 1.6" lift coils on Bilstein 5100s set at .85 with Light Racing UCAs, 10% tinted windows, 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country A/T, Pioneer MVH-X560BT,TRD Supercharger, Grillcraft Black MX upper and lower grill, RAAMmat Sound Deadening, Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine Series I61-2 in rear doors, Hybrid Audio Technolgies Legatia L6 and L1V2 in front doors running through Hybrid Audio Legatia L2X crossovers, JL Audio 13TW5 in a bedlined Mr. Marv enclosure, Zed Audio Leviathan Amp on a bedlined Mr. Marv amp rack, DTLT Exhaust Headers w/O2 simulators, full LED lighting interior and exterior, OEM roof racks
    I own a Yamaha AR230 that is located just north of Nashville, TN that is for sale. I have been very impressed with it ever since I purchased it new in 2004. It's two four stroke fuel injected four-cylinder engines. I have had to do nothing but oil changes maintenance-wise. The engines have crankcase oiling systems so no oil injection or additional oil in the fuel. No other maintenance other than spraying some white lithium lube on the steering and reverse mechanism on the outdrive, no lower unit lube changing or seals to deal with like on an OB or I/O. I always found it to be very fuel efficient for a boat. 50 gallons would last me an entire weekend of near constant cruising (full throttle is a different story). I also had a Malibu 23LSV with the 8.1L and the Yamaha burns way less fuel. I learned to maneuver the Yamaha very well, as with all boats you don't get in a hurry near the dock. I could whip it in any spot 23 feet or larger. Some people may try to use the independent throttles to maneuver but I feel that the jet drives are so close to center the benefits do not equal the possible confusion while maneuvering. Of all the runabout/ski/wakeboard boats I have experience with, the cabin layout is the most useful and comfortable. The back deck with stereo remote back there was always the place to be when anchored and tied up with other boats. The ride is very smooth even in rough water and top speed is between 55-60. It is rated for you and up to 9 of your friends and is relatively comfortable with that many onboard. If you want to know more or are interested in buying this boat just let me know.

2. Oct 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350

Hey thanks alot, you are the first person that I have talked to that has actually owned one. Im glad you cleared up the oil thing that might have been a deal breaker for me. Would you say the maintance is less or more than i/o motor? How much do you want for it just out of curiosity? I am planning on keeping my boat till the spring then selling it to try and get a little more out of it. Would you buy another one?

3. Oct 22, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    novakills

novakills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, debadged, TRD exhaust, bed d-ring mod, rubber bed mat, 6000K Bi-xenon headlights, 3000K HID foglights, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT PLUS Hood Struts, 2" Toytec AAL w/Bilstein 5100s, 1" aluminum tapered leaf spring spacer, Eibach 1.6" lift coils on Bilstein 5100s set at .85 with Light Racing UCAs, 10% tinted windows, 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country A/T, Pioneer MVH-X560BT,TRD Supercharger, Grillcraft Black MX upper and lower grill, RAAMmat Sound Deadening, Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine Series I61-2 in rear doors, Hybrid Audio Technolgies Legatia L6 and L1V2 in front doors running through Hybrid Audio Legatia L2X crossovers, JL Audio 13TW5 in a bedlined Mr. Marv enclosure, Zed Audio Leviathan Amp on a bedlined Mr. Marv amp rack, DTLT Exhaust Headers w/O2 simulators, full LED lighting interior and exterior, OEM roof racks

Motor-wise, maintenance will be exactly the same times two. You have two independent fuel injected four cylinder engines. All they need is an oil change every now and then. Spark plugs will last a very long time and that's it for the engine. The outdrive requires no maintenance other than occasionally spraying lube on the exterior moving parts, maybe takes 30 seconds to hit them all. An I/O requires the outdrive (lower unit) to have the lube changed every now and again and the seals must be replaced as the wear out as well, my dad just had the seals replaced on his outdrive for $400-500. Not of that crap on the Yamaha. I would just check the oil every weekend, clean up the boat, gas, and go! I'll PM you the asking price.

Products Discussed in

To Top