1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JL Audio FiX-86 Released, Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bear263, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Jul 3, 2016 at 1:41 PM
    bear263

bear263 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP
    LED interior lights. Steering wheel mod. New radio. Amp, speakers and sub woofer.
  2. Jul 3, 2016 at 8:55 PM
    SlowComa666

SlowComa666 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access Cab 2WD
    neat product

how can it do time correction without a microphone?

3. Jul 4, 2016 at 4:22 AM
    bear263

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP
    LED interior lights. Steering wheel mod. New radio. Amp, speakers and sub woofer.
    Yea not sure. Manual doesn't say anything about a microphone.

4. Jul 4, 2016 at 7:49 AM
    bear263

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP
  5. Jul 4, 2016 at 11:47 AM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Interesting. I'd like to hear how it pulls that off without a mic. I have the choice of using a mic and auto-tuning or manually with a tape measure. Looks like this one offers neither.

6. Jul 4, 2016 at 7:47 PM
    SlowComa666

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access Cab 2WD
    that's where i am confused. how can it adjust time delay with no input other than signal level?

sound almost like AudioControls hokey "bass restoration" bullshit. [it never "restored" anything, just make fake bass that isn't in the original]

7. Jul 8, 2016 at 4:56 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Not to thread hijack, but the Audiocontrol inserts bass into music which doesn't have bass. 80's Prince, or Michael Jackson songs, which should have more bass, could benefit greatly. Whats hokey about it is that they don't tell you upfront you simply can't plug your Sub RCA. It turns in to a little project in itself to properly split one of the Front / Rear RCAs while keeping the signal voltage high enough for the amps. You end up also needing one of their line drivers or one of their crossovers w/ line driver to install it the right way, as well as the extra RCA cables. And you end up losing any controls that your head unit has over the Sub RCA.

For the JL-Fix - I'd look for some youtube videos covering the review and operation, try to avoid any where they just pull the stuff out of the box and ramble off the specs. When I was doing my research a while ago, the JL Cleansweep seemed to be good, but it was expensive compared to getting a new headunit, AND you had to use a dash-mounted volume knob once you had the factory volume set.

8. Jul 8, 2016 at 10:44 AM
    fergyz

fergyz Mmmm...Tacos

Member:
    49th State
    Vehicle:
    06' DBC 4x4 6spd
    from the Manual

1. Eight differential-balanced inputs accept virtually any OEM analog audio signal, from low-voltage, line-level signals to high power, amplified speakerlevel signals. FiX™ 86 automatically level-adjusts and converts each OEM input signal to digital audio with 24-bit effective resolution.
    2. Any time delays between the OEM input signals are automatically synchronized.
    3. FiX™ 86 is compatible with full-range or band-limited OEM signals. Multiple band-limited OEM input signals are automatically summed into full-range signals. FiX™ 86 will sum up to 3-way front and 2-way rear signals.
    4. After summing, FiX™ 86 will measure the frequency response of the Front L&R and Rear L&R summed signals and automatically equalize them to a flat frequency response. These digital-domain corrections can vary from subtle to dramatic, depending on the amount of equalization engineered into the factory audio system

9. Jul 8, 2016 at 11:32 AM
    rob feature

rob feature Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.
    Oh, looks like it removes any delays from a factory head unit (not sure why that would be good). The way I'm reading this, it undoes time alignment and 'synchronizes' all the channels so it would be like installing a head unit with no time alignment at all. Again, not sure why one would want to do away with TA, but let yer freak flag fly! Time alignment is the flippin' bee's knees!!!

10. Jul 10, 2016 at 9:35 PM
    SlowComa666

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access Cab 2WD
    yeah, their wording is kinda vague [probably totally not on purpose ;)]

"OEM Integration DSP with Automatic Time Correction and Digital EQ"

what vehicles have factory time alignment that you would want to defeat?

their Digital EQ is worrisome. what if the engineers programmed in a large null/peak to combat cabin boom/resonance/trough

this unit would boost that range back to flat and then you have a massive peak/dip to try to tame....with even more equipment?

this device looks like a great answer to a problem no one has. [though i am sure plenty of sales folks and installers will swear by them]

11. Jul 11, 2016 at 3:38 AM
    bear263

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP
    This appears to be an updated Fix-82 with more outputs. Mostly has good reviews.

12. Nov 5, 2016 at 2:18 PM
    Ravnikar610

Ravnikar610 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR DCSB
    I installed a JL Audio Fix 86 today in my 3rd gen tacoma (Jbl system) . It seems to work, however this is the first time I've upgraded a stock head unit /amp. I'm having static and distortion issues, but I haven't upgraded the doors or tweeters yet. The 5 channel amp is all set at lowest gain and I cannot go past 1/3 volume on the radio without bass distortion in the doors and tweets. The crossover on my amp only goes to 330, which sucks ass :mad:. I will be upgrading everything soon and adding additional crossovers to get everything where it should be. Turns out, toyota sends low bass to the stock sub and mid bass to the front doors. Low bass is great out of my new sub, mid bass is quite than it should be. That being said, I may add an equalizer as well. Kind of wish I would have gotten an LC8i . Anyways that's my two cents.

13. Nov 5, 2016 at 3:19 PM
    Choops

Choops Well-Known Member

Member:
    Twin Cities
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport

Contact JL support, my guess is it has something to do with the JBL system. My FIX 86 with my stock Entune/non-JBL head unit works wonderfully with my aftermarket amp and speakers.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/my-3rd-gen-install.449084/

14. Dec 11, 2016 at 10:03 AM
    hr206

hr206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSB TRD OR, '98 regular cab 4x4
    Did you get your static and distortion figured out?

I have the JBL system and I was looking to go with a Fix 86.

15. Dec 12, 2016 at 5:42 AM
    Ravnikar610

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR DCSB
    I figured out that the problem is unsolvable. I should make a thread with just the stupid stuff I've run into trying to keep the stock JBL HU, and the cost of getting new everything. My solution was get an aftermarket radio with an Idatalink module. It retained all vehicle settings and added some other info like rpm, throttle position, instant fuel economy, accelration in g's, ect, ect, ect.

Dont bother trying to maintain the stock Hu with aftermarket speakers of any kind. In addition to the JL Audio Fix, I tried a 3sixty.3. The manual control was much better but still has static and some distortion. The 3sixty picked up distortion at volume level 29, and that low of volume can't be compensated by gain on an amp. Also, bass gets cut at higher volumes (you probably have already experienced this).

hr206[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Dec 12, 2016 at 7:13 PM
    SlowComa666

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access Cab 2WD
    maybe your problem was with the JBL system. none that have used plain old LOC's or this pricey pointless JL box have had complaints.

17. Dec 16, 2016 at 4:08 AM
    Ravnikar610

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR DCSB
    Yes

18. Dec 25, 2016 at 5:45 PM
    BarberRider

BarberRider Merit Badges: Scuba Cliff diving Mirror Awareness

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
    yeah you shouldnt have distortion unless something is wrong. i would re check your grounds and wiring.

the jl is expensive, all it does is get you a clean signal. thats it. if you want eqs/crossovers/time correction etc you will need their eq as well.

what the jl does that a cheap LOC wont is give you a clean signal.

if you dont care about retaining the factory head unit then getting a new one is a better and cheaper option than using the fix86.

19. May 24, 2017 at 5:29 AM
    Barnj001

Barnj001 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD
    You guys just have to update the software on the Fix 86, the new software/firmware has the EQ built into it. But from my understanding you have to make the changes Via laptop plugged into the unit and their software.

20. May 24, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    dlo13

dlo13 TinyRigCo.

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Westminster, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Tacoma TRD Pro
    Before making a purchase, I think you need to understand what the product does.

The product is an all encompassing DSP that does signal summing.
    Time alignment comes set up in many vehicles, stock.
    This device, removes the delay, and any added EQ, in order to give you a clean, unaltered signal, so that you can control the EQ, on your own.
    Basically.... its giving you a flat signal, without time delay.
    You then set the eq and time delay in the device itself.
    You also do not need a microphone to do time correction - You can, and should, use speaker distance to get you 90% of the way.

Products Discussed in

To Top