1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JL w3v3 or Alpine type r 1043d

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ZMan2k2, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Apr 4, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 [OP] “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Let me first say that sometimes, living in Canada sucks. I've been doing some research on some great subs that I've read about, but to get them across the border would, more often than not, cost more than either of these options.

That said, I'm down to these two subs for my truck. I'm reading positives and negatives on both of them, but the positives seem to come up more often. There is a $70 difference between them, but that's not going to bother me, I just want some good bass.

First, I would consider myself a basshead. In my younger days, "SPL above all else" was my battle cry. Now I like a little more musical sound, but still love me some SPL. They will live in a 0.625 cu. ft. sealed enclosure, and with either wired for a 2-ohm load, will see 500w. The box size is right in spec range for either option, so they seem pretty even there. Currently I'm running a JL W1v2 sub with 300w, and it's okay, but there's always room for more.

Has anyone run both, or are you currently running one of them? What do you think, would a basshead be happy? Audio pros, please chime in, and give my your feedback too. I'm close to pulling the trigger, I just need to know which gun to fire?

2. Apr 4, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Flip a coin heads for JL and tails for Alpine. You can't go wrong with either one but I do prefer JL Audio

3. Apr 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    !TacoTaco!

!TacoTaco! TACO LOVER!

Member:
    First Name:
    Felix
    PSL, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD SR5 Sport
    Removed coal filter, Also installed AFE air filter. Roof rack with custom diamond plate air diverter.
    I say JL too, I have had them before and they sounded pretty good.

4. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    where your .625 sealed enclosure is placed in your truck will play a large role in how loud your bass sounds. that being said, I had an alpine type R 1043 in my truck before i started working in car stereo and it was pretty damn loud. I've installed countless JL 10w3's in many different applications and have always been impressed with the sound quality. If you want tight, "musical" bass, the JL is superior to the alpine. I don't think you'll have anything to complain about as far as volume level with the JL. The alpine might be able to get a little bit louder. In terms of quality and reliability, the JL 10w3 is the better woofer.

5. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Thanks guys. After countless youtube comparo's, spec reading, checking and rechecking, I decided. I went with the JL W3v3. Mostly because I'm impressed with what my W1 can do, but still wanted more. So, "go with what you know", and my past experience with JL, and that's where I landed. I also read in numerous places, the JL is a little more "musical". It seems to handle transients better, like double kicks in metal. I listen to a lot of rock and metal, so that was important to me. I'm sure I'll be happy, just have to wait for the delivery guy next week.:bored::thumbsup::taco:

6. Apr 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Good luck you won't be disappointed. Post up here if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

7. Apr 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    angle

angle Member

Member:
    good luck to you .[​IMG]

8. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    So I received my JL Audio W3v3 last night, and installed it. I just wanted to let people know that you can fit a W3 in a DC Tacoma.

I purchased a SuperCrewSounds single 10" box, with the optional mounting depth of 6". Well, it truly is a 6" depth. The W3 is 5.93" deep, and it fits, barely, but it fits. And without it even being broken in, the bass is deeper, and hits with more authority than my old JL W1v2. I'm very pleased with the results. I got the W3 in the 2-ohm version, so it's getting 500w from my Alpine MRP-M500 amp.

So it is possible to get some serious boom in your DC truck, if you get the right box. Just wanted to let everyone know it's possible.

9. Apr 13, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    hotrodbanshee

hotrodbanshee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    El Campo,Tx
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4X4 Double Cab
    You got pic's of this set up? Did you have to remove the plastic off of the back of the seat?

10. Apr 13, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Just grabbed some.

Amp under seat.
    [​IMG]

Close-up of sub in the box
    [​IMG]

Showing the single sub box with the W3 installed.
    [​IMG]

I did remove the plastic, but it's not necessary. I had it off once before, for a failed attempt with 12" drivers and fiberglass. It rattled with the old sub, so I pulled it, and it's much better. But no, you don't have to remove the plastic.

11. Apr 13, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    I've been telling all you 2nd geners that forever. Good job though I'm sure you will continue to love them.

12. Apr 14, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    No doubt I'll love it. I've been tuning my system with the new sub for the last couple days. I still have the gains down on the amp, and the bass boost on the deck is set to 0, and I'm still getting more performance than the W1 I had. My bass tuning song is "Brass Monkey" from the Beastie Boys. Just stupid! I can feel the kick, and it tickles my ears, and it's not even full on yet. I'm almost scared. I am SO glad I ordered my sub box with the additional depth. It was either this sub, or a double box and a second W1. This was definitely the better choice. Another couple weeks at this setting, then I'll start to turn it up and get full power from the amp and sub. What fun!

Products Discussed in

To Top