1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Joe Paterno dead at 85

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jbmccul, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jan 23, 2012 at 3:11 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    How do you know he didnt? It would be Campus police is who he would have to go to report it.....they were in Spanier pockets which didnt want to tarnish the university. Then the DA investigating this story all of sudden disappears. They still havent found his body.

My issue is with Mcqueary. He's the piece of shit that should have never allowed Sandusky to walk out of that shower room that day. I or I think any one in this forum that would have witnessed that act on that day would have made sure Sandusky never walked out under his own power.

Mcqueary needed to make 2 calls that day, one to the police and one for a ambulance to get Sandusky out of the shower room. Why tell a head coach two days later? dont make sense.

Anyways... RIP Joe.

2. Jan 23, 2012 at 3:53 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    This is a tragic end to a man's life long work. I think there's blame to go around to all parties involved in the Sandusky saga.

As I see it, both McQuery and Paterno placed their trust that their "chain of command" and that the said chain would handle the circumstances as Paterno and Sandusky were uncomfrotable to do themselves. We can all say what we would of done, but until we are faced with that fight or flight dilemna, we will never know. No doubt Paterno had a lot of culpability in the whole circumstance (namely he should of followed up) as he was the face and name of Penn St and as the past few months unfolded, he died a heartbroken man who I think would of done things differently back then if given the chance.

Anyways, Paterno was thrown on the sword and rightly so and the past 61 years of work he put into establishing the values and honor into the Penn St program will be forever tarnsihed. However outside of Sandusky, Paterno did a lot for the community, university and the students which should be remebered positively.

3. Jan 23, 2012 at 4:35 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    yep this^^ not a football fan but follow this story.. if I walked in on someone molesting a kid I foot would molest their ass since my son was physically abused at a daycare when he was 3 years old.. I wouldnt walk out and go tell my head coach. I would beat his ass and get the child to safety then go beat his ass some more.

4. Jan 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    tanner

tanner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kitchener, ON
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab
    Why would he be required to go to campus police? If you saw some guy having inappropriate relations with a child, would you give up on trying to correct the situation after just one report? Would you actually be complacent and continue to work with the accused?

And I completely agree that McQueary is fucked too. Whatever his reasoning is he didn't do enough.

I fear that these assholes continue to get support from the public due to a misguided sense of importance. Football coaches, even legendary ones, are mortal. The good things these men have done over the years will never come close to outweighing the negative impact they had on the lives of just a few.

5. Jan 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    First off, Fuck You douche.

Secondly. I have two kids whom I would give my life for, I DO NOT wish what happened on an family, or child for that matter. Nor do I support it.

I truly believe Joe was a much more sincere person than what the media has made him out to be, I feel he did tell the right people, though he should have gone to the police about it. He spoke up. That's what he was suppossed to do. Its what was right. Again, yes he should have gone to the police.

I hate the fact that his legacy was ruined by a selfish molesting motherfucker like sandusky.

That is all.

6. Jan 23, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    I concur. I grew up with him as an idolistic figure. (From PA) so it is kinda hard to believe he was so wrong.

7. Jul 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    R. I. H.

8. Jul 12, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Actually, while Joe had no controll over Sandusk's actions...he had controll over his own legacy.

9. Jul 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    jbmccul

jbmccul [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4, 2019 Audi A5, 2017 Audi Q5
    Holy thread Resurrection Batman!

10. Jul 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Well said

11. Jul 13, 2012 at 4:46 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    So much for Joe's rep.,,,,,,, Jim

12. Jul 13, 2012 at 4:52 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

He's -1 in my book and it's a dam shame.

This is why it's always good to have friends in high places....they bring you up. If you surround yourself with people better then yourself at anything (sports/finance/life/etc) they tend to bring you up.

Associate with scum bags and well... no good will ever come of it.

13. Jul 13, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    Joe Paterno could have been a legend. He could have been a hero. He could have saved children from a predator.

Instead he saved his own ass/job/record and tried to protect the program from bad publicity.

He doesn't deserve to have his name on buildings, or his statue on campus. He doesn't deserve the high regard in which so many still hold him.

Obviously what Jerry Sandusky did was detestable, and he will rot in jail, then in hell. And I'm not saying that Paterno committed crimes like Sandusky... but he didn't stop them, either.

14. Jul 13, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    ^ Well said. The recent 267-page report finds that just 10 days before Paterno's death, he told a federal grand jury he knew effectively nothing of Sandusky's predatory nature. The report details that Paterno, in fact, did know and then repeatedly concealed facts--along with Penn State administration leadership--as it related to Sandusky's behavior and his probably child victims. How they could cover this molester is beyond me.

Joe Paterno = Terribly misplaced priorities.

15. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    taconewby

taconewby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Dallas Tx.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    factory fogs,black projector headlights, Kenwood head unit, kicker/Infinty speakers
    Instead of bashing a dead man, and one that's already convicted and will get his just rewards (both in prison and when he stands before the real judge) I can't help but think about all those young men that were left for many years to deal with this betrayal by the local and college authorities. The people and institution that should have been there to protect them has failed.The reputation of one man or one football program is nowhere near worth the pain inflicted here. Will the NCAA stand up now and give PSU the death penalty?

16. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    If the university was private, the market would drive the death nail.

but seeing as it's a public institution...the tax payers of the Commonwealth will keep the place afloat.

17. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    I don't think it's the NCAA's place to give the death penalty for the sake of the kids who were harmed. That's outside the NCAA's jurisdiction, and it should be.

They can (and from my limited knowledge of the rules, SHOULD) give them the death penalty for the lack of institutional control over a coach and administrators who broke the law in order to protect the program from bad publicity.

18. Jul 13, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Is SMU a private school? They did a lot less and got the death penalty. My brother went to PSU, I almost did, so glad I didn't at this point. What a disgrace.

19. Jul 13, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    PSU had it's second best year getting funds donated from private citizens so that's how much the public cares about football coaches committing and covering up pedophilia.

The civil suite will be just great.....I love my tax's being used to defend a university when even their own board said they were 100% wrong.

When sports is more important then an education you know the school is ass backwards.

Lets start paying the science professors 2 million a year instead of the sport coaches.

Football isn't going to get you a job or career after college (99.9% of them won't).

20. Jul 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    While your comment about sports being more important makes a school ass backwards is correct, the notion that paying science professors is the way to go is nonsensical. The head football coaches aren't paid millions because universities feel that their job is more IMPORTANT... they're paid that because their job brings in MILLIONS of dollars.

Not trying to be too adversarial, but i don't think the "pay the English department millions" kind of argument makes any sense.

Products Discussed in

To Top