1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Joining the Imperials Build Thread

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Bridge4, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Mar 14, 2020 at 3:46 PM
    Bridge4

Bridge4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Played with the settings and set the hi and low pass filters and some staging ones, then went for a drive. I will want new speakers at some point, but I'm pretty shocked how much of a difference the headunit made. As long as it holds up I'm gonna give it a 10/10. The little controller makes changing songs and such on the fly simple and easy, I'm gonna mount it with velcro on the dash.

cruiserguy likes this.
  2. Mar 14, 2020 at 10:51 PM
    CrippledOldMan

CrippledOldMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    @Bridge4, Nice Truck, great color. I really wanted a hunter green truck when I was looking for mine. I ended up buying a 03 DC limited edition in lunar Mist(Silver). Truck only had 80k miles back in 2009 or 2010 when I purchased it. Payed 15k for it and have no regrets. Love my Toyota. These things will last a lifetime with good maintenance. You found a cherry in your part of the world which I here is the Rust Bucket part of the country. I'd suggest getting some Eastwood internal frame coating, and either painting the frame or putting some good rust protector on it. I know a lot of TW members use fluid film. Lucky for me I live in NC and don't have to worry to much about frame rust from salt. I also don't drive a lot during the winter months. I'm hoping to do some serious upgrades on my frame in the next year or so. but I'm seriously limited physically as to what I can do myself. Take care of your 1st gen and it will take care of you. Welcome to the 1st gen world, you'll find quite a bit of useful information and help from these 1st gen scalawags.

Bridge4 [OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 15, 2020 at 2:31 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    Hey there! I lived in NC for 6 years and had some land out east, loved it down there, but came back up for family.

I plan on getting some fluid film or wool wax going in April at the next meet up! Some internal coating on the frame might be nice though too since I have heard they rot from the inside. I plan on keeping this truck in great shape and replacing all the little things that need it slowly over the next year, but finding one with a newer frame was a big part of the issue, and this one is in great shape!

Keep in touch! Do you have your own thread or anything with your truck on it? How many miles do you have on it now?

4. Mar 15, 2020 at 2:07 PM
    CrippledOldMan

CrippledOldMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Salisbury North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Crew Cab
    None
    @Bridge4, No I don't have a build thread. I'm keeping my truck pretty much stock. Just doing the needed maintenance to keep it running good. I've got many small projects that need done, but they'll have to wait a couple of more months. I have a local Garage that I'm going to pay them to install my new Bilstein 4600 shocks, maybe next month. Truck has about 136k miles on it. I figure the rings are just about set by now. I plan on making this my last vehicle that I ever own. I'm only averaging about 5k miles or so a year right now, so I'm not worried about wearing it out anytime soon. keep up on your work and that truck will last you for years. Just treat your frame with something that will keep it from rusting out, and you'll be fine. There are many posts here on this forum with quite a bit of information on rust prevention. I'm going to coat my frame with Stop Rust from Ace Hardware. It seems to do a very good job of protecting the frame. keep us posted on what your doing on yours.

Bridge4 [OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 16, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    Replaced the turn signal lamps today and put leds in the new ones. Super easy to change, these trucks are so easy to work on!
    Old:D508437D-F387-4126-BBE9-D08E50FC543F.jpg

new ones:
    CCF71FDD-9B04-4991-808D-BE0B397CD148.jpg

my passenger light is next in that department but not really rushing since I don’t drive a ton at night

Taco critter and ontarioyota like this.
  6. Mar 19, 2020 at 6:14 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    Okay guys I have a ??

When I go to start the truck up there is a slight hesitation. Usually you turn key and VROOOOM. With this truck its been (and worse when cold) a 1-2 second hesitation where its turning over but doesn't start.

Battery is new, spark wires are new...but don't know if the plugs themselves are. Is there anything else that I should look at? Or is it just how the trucks start up and I should get used to it.

Thanks!!

7. Mar 19, 2020 at 7:42 AM
    MedicMutt

MedicMutt Purveyor of Useless Information

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    OME suspension, Whiteline bushings, Line-X'd Jason topper, GoRhino "Grille Guard", many more...
    Mine usually rolls over for a couple of seconds before taking off. The time has almost imperceptibly increased over the years. No doubt the quarter-of-a-million-plus miles on the completely original motor contribute to it. The truck has never failed to start.

If it really concerns you, or as others chime in, it may be a good idea to take a video of your truck starting up.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Bridge4 [OP] likes this.
  8. Mar 19, 2020 at 7:54 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    I'm not super concerned, and I usually trade trucks regularly and don't deal with issues that come with age. Sounds like yours is the same as mine, and it always does start and run strong.

Thanks for chiming in!:hattip:

9. Mar 19, 2020 at 7:55 AM
    MedicMutt

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    OME suspension, Whiteline bushings, Line-X'd Jason topper, GoRhino "Grille Guard", many more...
    Popping plugs out takes no time whatsoever, and replacing them is incredibly easy. Just use some compressed air to blow out the plug tubes PRIOR to removing them. A vacuum cleaner used to in tandem to help remove debris can't hurt, either.

ontarioyota and Bridge4 [OP] like this.
  10. Mar 19, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    MedicMutt

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    Any time, man. Love seeing other 1st gens finding good homes.

Bridge4 [OP] likes this.
  11. Mar 19, 2020 at 1:31 PM
    Bridge4

Member:
    Did a couple things today, first was to replace a missing trim piece, and a miscolored trim peace. Both were same piece, just different sizes!

before:
    twocolorplug.jpg
    After:
    singlecolor.jpg

Obviously easy, but just another piece of the puzzle to get this puppy clean as f*** and OEM as I can...besides stereo and suspension down the road.
    $9.50 or something for both, I think I got a slight discount. Part number was slightly different than what showed up online and what my local guy wrote down. But it was right piece, anyways, posting photo.
    part#.jpg

12. Mar 19, 2020 at 1:35 PM
    Bridge4

Member:
    Now for the FUN one. To me, this truck might be a 2003, but I'm trying to get that feel from maybe a few years earlier... It needs a western looking blanket in the back right? But I was like, lets go full out here and do the whole inside with saddle blankets! So I got these covers. They are like $350 front and back combined, not as nice as clazzio or W.O. buttt I love the look and the fit is pretty good. Little extra padding, but they aren't waterproof or anything. I just wanted to make sure my seats lasted longer and I wanted some spice in there.:thumbsup: Now that they are back in the truck I will have to pull and adjust a little to get everything straight/lined up with the pattern, but pretty close as is. :anonymous: Also, take them out of the truck before you install seat covers, makes it so easy.

seat cover rear.jpg
    front.jpg

Taco critter and cruiserguy like this.
  13. Mar 20, 2020 at 4:23 PM
    Bridge4

Member:
    Finally did the rear doors and finished what I am going to be doing for sound deadening. Part of me wants to do the roof...but it ain't happening. At least not for a long time.

Anyways, I pulled the doors and Toyota was nice enough to already have it all done for me!!
    pathetictoyota.jpg
    :bananadead::rofl:

So I got going, with the outer skins
    outterdoor.jpg
    Then the inner guys, to seal it up.
    innerdoor.jpg

Then stick on the foam
    foam.jpg

and TAH-DAH as they say:cheers:
    finaldoor.jpg

14. Mar 20, 2020 at 4:58 PM
    MedicMutt

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    Inspiring. Been thinking about doing this job for years, but may reserve it for the eventual Tundra purchase.

cruiserguy and Bridge4 [OP] like this.
  15. Mar 20, 2020 at 5:03 PM
    Bridge4

Member:
    Thanks!!

It's one of the first things I like to do to any car we get these days, it just makes them so much more enjoyable. Feels tighter, is quieter and the sound is much better usually.

If you are getting rid of your truck soon though I wouldn't do it. It takes a fair amount of time, and a few hundred in supplies. But I would do it on the next one for sure!!

cruiserguy likes this.
  16. Mar 20, 2020 at 6:43 PM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    Hell yeah I dig those seat covers! Especially with the color of your tacoma:cool:

Taco critter and Bridge4 [OP] like this.
  17. Mar 20, 2020 at 6:45 PM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    Nice work on the sound deadening. Likely the only way to make it worthwhile would be as you did with layer of MLV as well. I bet it's definitely a noticeable difference :D you're doing good stuff with your tacoma :cool:

Bridge4 [OP] likes this.
  18. Mar 21, 2020 at 2:56 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    I almost went with a light brown color seat cover in that style, the wife stopped me and I think she made a good choice on the green!

Thanks! Yeah I have some MLV I was thinking of putting on the floor, but wasn't sure if I could get everything back in place, I think I could have. For the doors, I've done it in the past but I hate using velcro with it, and then worrying it will fall down etc...

I think this made a big enough improvement where I can be happy. The roof could maybe use some, but I am not in ANY rush to do that, I know that I will have to buy some new trim pieces I'm sure to break and not interested in that right now. Either way, big improvement on the sound and feel of the truck and 100% worth it IMO.

Will have a break for a few weeks on mods here I think, then I gotta figure out if I want to do my suspension/wheels/tires or the cheaper.. bedliner/window tint/ avs rain guards.

Basically that will depend on how long our business is forced to be closed,and how much we get back for taxes :rolleyes:

cruiserguy likes this.
  19. Mar 21, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    Bridge4

Member:
    Woke up this morning and felt like browsing the facebook marketplace. Guy 15 minutes from me had these for $180. Hubcaps are included just off in picture, OEM taco steelies off an 01 extended cab. Wheels are 265/75/16. So, I degreased them, wire-brushed most the rust I could find on them and then washed them again.

Going to refinish them and do two things:
    1) See if I can put on 265/75's without rubbing just for shits
    2) These tires are not in super great shape, one is a little choppy he said but no vibes. They will be coming off soon one way or another, most likely to get some snow tires wrapped on them cheap this summer, then be stored until winter.

While I have them on the truck, I think I will take the ones on there now and remove the old wheel, really do a good job getting them prepped, and then repaint those as well. If they come out good enough, I might not buy new wheels when I upgrade tires and things.

I thought $180 for it was a decent price. Maybe could have gotten it down some, but for 4 OEM wheels in pretty good shape, I went for it.
    IMG_1847.jpg

ontarioyota and cruiserguy like this.
  20. Mar 21, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    HardTaco03

HardTaco03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2003 Ext Cab 4wd 5 speed 3RZ
    You can def fit 265/75s I just put 275/70s on mine today and they fit easily so I think any 265 on stock wheels will definitely fit

Bridge4 [OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top