1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

junk yes thats right JUNK

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aaron101, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Mar 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    lundy

lundy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 Double Cab 4x4
    Question: What year did they start building most of the Tacoma's in the states? If it's around 2005 it would explain my theory. Ever since they started building more in America they got "American reliability"... Cause I feel like the second gen has a ton of issues as where the first gen did not. Just a guess though. I could be completely wrong. I am ready to sell mine. It's a 2010 with 30k and plenty of issues.

2. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    The 2nd gen's biggest problem has been Toyota getting parts from GM partners rather than their tried and true Denso buddies. If only more parts would transfer over from the 4Runner, we'd be in hog heaven.

I also second guessed my decision to get this within a week. It rattled everywhere, the blower motor sounded like its electronic hamster was going to die, and the front end squeaked to no end.

Took the entire dash apart and put felt+foam rubber everywhere, fixed all rattles.
    Took the blower motor completely apart and lubricated with synthetic oil. Quiet for 6k miles now. Will repeat annually.
    Hit the appropriate body bushing with WD40 twice a week until it permanantly got quiet.

She's been nice to me ever since.

Now as for junk, I think the only new vehicle that I've ever seen fit that description was an alero we had in the family. GM took it back under the lemon law after its eighth tow to the dealer in 20k miles. Those were just the problems that we couldn't drive the car back for. Crazy part is, every time was a DIFFERENT issue - there were no repeats. It was a Friday car if I ever did see one.

3. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    So sell it and buy something else.

Coming to a Toyota enthusiast forum to tell us our trucks are "junk" is stupid. We have no idea if you thrashed your vehicle, if it was in an accident etc.

Troll alert!

4. Mar 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    DC Taco

DC Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue TRD Sport
    None (yet), just bought it
    *Spins wheel*.....$800. I'd like a punctuation mark, please?

Pat: Yes, there are 17 punctuation marks

:p

Just kidding, sorry you've had such an awful time with your truck dude. Just got mine, hope I dont have as many problems

5. Mar 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    Kevin C

Kevin C Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner TRD Sport V6
    My 2012 with 1,200 miles has been perfect :) But, I bought the extended warranty.......just in case.

6. Mar 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    LMFAO

7. Mar 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    Agreed, 05 here as well. I can't even complain about my blower motor as many others have. It is 7 years old and never chirped.

8. Mar 1, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    '07. Rear springs are shot (toyota wont fix), tranny output shaft seal went at 60k, fanclutch went at 61k, blower motor chirped once at 62k, rear bumper chrome rotted under the plate. I love my truck, though every now and then it bitches at me. Though it does have a nice tap going, gonna put in better oil and higher octane gas.....

9. Mar 2, 2012 at 4:30 AM
    thunderbases

thunderbases Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    15,TRD Off Road
    Sounds like it was a Friday or Monday truck. Oh, I forgot one, payday truck.
    Sorry you had such trouble with it? I have a 2008 and have had no probs.

10. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer Civil Servant

Member:
    2000 DC Prerunner - Warped rotors consistently (Toyota replaced every time) Traded for Tundra (2006) when I hit about 80k miles - Tundra was almost lemon lawed but dealership gave me a deal on a Taco I could not pass up

2006 DC Prerunner - No issues, traded at 42k miles

2008 DC Prerunner - No issues, traded at 61k miles

2012 DC 4x4 - So far I could not be happier... time will tell

11. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:31 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    You got the VIN part right. I wish mine was made in Japan like my 4runner.

12. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    My 05 is right there with yours, rear suspension sucked, blower motor failed, horrible windshield noise @speed, powers steering issues, had to rebuild rear drive shaft, starter, frame cracked @motor mounts and front diff x2. Dealer experience was horrible during repairs. All this and I just hit 75k. When the truck works I love it and cant argue that its not the best looking mid sized truck. My first and likely last toyota which is a-shame because there is such a great community and ton's of aftermarket products for our trucks. Last truck I had was a nissan and not nearly as many aftermarket options. However the repairs were much less frequent.

13. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    I had no issues with my '05 dcsb, brakes, filters, tires, oil and tail lights were all I replaced in 100k in 5 years. I took it through alot, So far I have 30K on my '11 dclb and havent had any issues.

Might want to trade it in before the driveshaft breaks and launches you 4 feet in the air

14. Mar 2, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    My solution was to buy a vw wagon for a daily driver and begin to transformation the taco to the ultimate off-road machine without financing 50K.... So far so good:thumbsup: At least what I break now will be my fault and likley more fun:D

15. Mar 2, 2012 at 7:26 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wow, mine's an 07, Blower motor? Haven't heard a peep, overhead console, look up the console temp fix thread, rear leafs, everyone knows they're crap, aal and airbags fixed that, diffs? New Royal Purple every 30K, Tranny? noticed there was a 'lag' in the drivetrain hooking up, changed fluids at 73k problem solved, have noticed a little lag again at 93K, going to change it again. dash rattle, it's got 93K and I expect a truck to make a little noise, warped rotors, still have the same rotors, still perfectly flat, whoever warps them is doing something wrong. cruise control shifting problems, yeah it ain't the brainiest system out there, i only use it on flat land. Next up is power steering fluid, V belt, another round of diff and TC fluids, rear brake shoes (i have never changed them never noticed a problem), radiator flush and refill and time to clean the throttle body and maf again. 65,000 miles throughout the western US in three years, hauled well in excess of rated weight, climbed some serious terrain. Only real issues is stuff that I fucked up.

16. Mar 2, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    Bryan139

Bryan139 I have a spectacular aura

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport
    I cut some wires here. Added some wires there.
    I didn't read the whole thread but the fact that I'm dealing with a CEL @ 30k that's not covered has me agreeing with the title of this thread. Don't get me wrong though, I still love my truck. It's better than anything else in it's class, but that just tells you how weak the class is. Best piece of shit on the market.

17. Mar 2, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    lundy

lundy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 Double Cab 4x4
    So my theory is kinda right. Thanks for the info.

Plan to. I wanted a Runner to begin with but thought it would be nice to have a bed. If I had only known :(

Products Discussed in

To Top