1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

junkyard leaf springs

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by brelandt, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Sep 22, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    brelandt

brelandt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Has anyone tried to buy a set of leafs from a yard and took at least one leaf from it and stacked it to your pack to correct the sagging issue?
    My 2004 sags and I hardly ever load the bed. I use helper springs but they are pretty rough.
    Also when I was into my Bronco II awhile back there seemed to be lots of different options to correct the sag, from adding a spring or just using a whole new spring from a different vehicle all together.
    Thanks for the help guys!

2. Sep 22, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    How are the bushings? Just how much sag we talking about? Which side? The drivers side? (just a guess) I suppose you could score some decent springs at the local auto repository, make sure they have equal amounts of positive arc. (drivers side passenger side) Otherwise you may just be buying another set of sacked out springs....:cool:

3. Sep 23, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    When my 02 springs were sagging, one of the options I looked at was taking them to a local spring shop. They would re-arch and add a leaf...that is one option.

I ended up buying a set of Alcan replacement stock height springs, but could have just as easily gone the re-arch and added leaf route, which would have cost considerably less.

4. Sep 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    :popcorn:
    im courious
    ive been thinking the same thing
    and for the ones who have what kinda springs did you use and out of what vehicle?

5. Sep 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    01taquito

01taquito "thats what she said"

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    san antonio
    Vehicle:
    01 pre-runner sr5 quad-cab
    Bilsteins 5100's front and back. Wheelers add a leaf
    i have sag too(sounds sick). have been waiting to correct it because i've been wanting to do a lift soon and didnt want to do double work. or maybe i do the lift and it still sags?????????

6. Sep 28, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    brelandt

brelandt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    sorry haven't turned my PC on in days! Anyhow, it's sagging evenly on both sides. in fact when I look under the truck at the springs from front to back it arches up to where the U-bolts are then arches back down after that. Not sure by how much but now with my helper spring I added there is like 2 seperate waves in the spring now.
    I here that add a lift will often cause the spring on top of it to break at the point where they meet.
    I work at a lumber yard and I see trucks all day and only the Toyota's and the old Explorers seem to have this sag issue.

7. Sep 28, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You heard wrong. Leaf springs are not an item you want to purchase from a junkyard. It's like buying a used shock; you don't know what it's been through, if the previous owner towed a lot, abused it, etc. You could be purchasing a "time bomb". It is better for you and the truck to get a new set.

Products Discussed in

To Top