1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just cancelled cable...

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by LonghornTaco, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I would come home at 4:30 after work, turn the TV on, sit down on the couch, then turn it off at midnight when I went to bed. I had two digital HD tuners - living room and bedroom. Also have cable internet access (kept that for now). My bill was $190/month!!

Now, my bill is gonna be $60 just for internet access. I can get it cheaper than that, huh?? That seems hella high!

Anyway, I canceled it, not because I needed to save money (although that's more money that can go into the truck!), but because I was wasting my evenings away doing absolutely nothing productive (save surfing TW of course!!)

I suddenly feel liberated..... :)

2. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    I hear ya on that. Between my cable for internet and satellite for tv I was paying 160 a month. I called dish and told them I wanted to back out. All of a sudden it was "well we can do THIS for you!" and now my satellite is down to 60 a month. For some reason ComCrap hasn't notice yet I don't have basic TV channels with them so I'm still being charged 30 bucks for 8MB down speed.

I miss the rabbit ears with tin foil and my father telling my brother to "stand over there the TV comes in better" days.

3. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    i went for about 2.5 years with no tv or internet. only had movies and music, let me tell ya... it sure does make you more productive around the house!

4. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i wish I could do that..there is absolutley nothing good on tv anymore. I dont think my mom would like me cancelling our cable thou..lol

5. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    My ex-wife canceled our cable a few years ago and we went with nothing but rabbit ears on the 57" big screen (felt like true white trash then!) for a couple of years and it wasn't bad at all. I resisted it at first but I think it was because it wasn't my idea. She canceled it so we would stop watching so much tv. Well, that didn't work - just watched 6 channels all the time!

But this time, it's my decision, so I'm gonna try NO tv. No rabbit ears (like they'd work these days anyway), nothing.

Funny how I'm such a huge techie guy, but my main source of entertainment is now talk radio! :)

6. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:23 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    There isn't anything worth watching on tv anymore. You made the right move, Longhorn. The girlfriend and I are stealing interweb, and I refuse to get cable or even a set of rabbit ears due to the lack of anything worth anything. We've got an XBOX, some DVDs, some videogames and a Netflix account. That's enough.

7. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    I used to listen to the radio. Then I used to listen to only talk radio, so I know how you feel. But then they got rid of The Jagger Mprning Show and Russ Martin! (Were you ever in DFW?)

So now that I'm in Austin, which is apparently a vacuum for good radio...I stick to the iPod.

8. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    No, I was never in DFW. But, if you like talk radio, check 590 AM. Their morning show with Mark, Ed and Sam and the evening show with Jeff Ward from 3-7 were my two favorite. I still download their podcasts and listen to them every day, albeit a day behind.... :(

Check these out - Jeff Ward's is my favorite radio show, period. And his is voted the best radio show in Austin (and further too, I think).

9. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    I'll give them a shot next week when I'll be in the truck for hours on end and I'll let you know if I approve...:cool:

10. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I don't think you'll be disappointed... :thumbsup:

11. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:52 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i should probably get rid of it too but i cant live without adult swim. if i could just have cartoon network at night i'd be fine

12. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Don't they have a lot of those shows online? I know Metalocalypse is on the day after, I think.

13. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    It's gotta be somewhere on the internet for free. I'll go surfing for it tonight, will PM you if I find it.

14. Mar 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    +1. Almost everything I normally would watch is available for free online.

15. Mar 12, 2009 at 6:04 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Get the 40 $ dtv box and you probably get all ur local chanels and it's free

16. Mar 12, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    prolly.... but shut up and stop giving me reasons to get rid of my precious cable

17. Mar 12, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    That would kinda defeat the purpose... I'm trying to force myself to get off my lazy ass and quit watching TV...

18. Mar 12, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    man if you keep tellin' me to shut up i'm gonna...i'm gonna...oh hell i dunno

:D

19. Mar 12, 2009 at 6:12 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Oh my bad I thought u were tryin to save money
    Now that I thikn about it I should do the same

20. Mar 12, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    shut up please. i have to go watch tv now....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top