1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just dropped off my truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Cossi, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Jun 23, 2009 at 6:23 AM
    Cossi

Cossi [OP] TacoTacoTaco

Member:
    I have no clue.
    Well, I just dropped off my truck at the Toyo dealer for the rear suspension TSB. The SA was very nice, and said they would look at it and I left a printed copy of the TSB with them. I think my odds are good, but we will see. I am hoping they say they ordered parts and to come pick it up. I'll keep you updated.

2. Jun 23, 2009 at 6:27 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Thats good hope you get the tsb done.

3. Jun 23, 2009 at 6:28 AM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    good luck with that. Keep us posted. BTW what year is your truck?

4. Jun 23, 2009 at 6:55 AM
    Cossi

Cossi [OP] TacoTacoTaco

Member:
    I have no clue.
    Mine is an 09.

5. Jun 23, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    Cossi

Cossi [OP] TacoTacoTaco

Member:
    I have no clue.
    Looks like they aren't going to do anything. They called me back and said it was normal and nothing they could do. Pisses me off. Not sure what to do now.

6. Jun 23, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    time to start calling Toyota....use the word SAFTEY over and over.

7. Jun 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    call Toyota (800.331.4331) and report a "harsh ride when loaded with 500# or more". Tell them the truck could not handle the weight very well and even bottomed out on dips/bumps. Express this is a safety concern as the truck is difficult to handle when this happens (VERY IMPORTANT as companies fear safety issues). Tell them you frequently use the truck for it's intended purpose and haul loads. Be sure to make your point clearly but not get angry or 'childish'. IMO, there is no need to mention the TSB at this point. After giving you a case number, they will ask you to call your dealer.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/29198-how-i-got-tsb-my-2009-a.html

8. Jun 23, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I'm sure by now Corporate has been getting a lot of complaints about this and I know from my experience that they are aware that the parts on the 09 are the same TSB parts. I'm sure they are just denying people the TSB work due to cost.

Go to www.bbb.org to file a complaint. They follow up with you and Toyota.

9. Jun 23, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    geolink

geolink Well-Known Member

Member:
    SILVER STATE
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB MagGray TRD SPORT
    Weathertech mats and hood protector, RuffTuff seat covers, padded console, Redline Hood Struts, Snugtop canopy w/Thule Rack, TSB rear springs plus AAL, 5100's all around OME 885 front coils, LR UCA, Avid Step Bars, LT265/70R17 BFG AT on stock Sport Rims
    Read all the posts on preparing to start the TSB process.

I am also posting the following on the "sticker" thread because of possible relativity to the rear springs TSB?: hope it helps to consider your options....
    Got the TSB 4 spring pack replacement approved on my 2009 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed Monday 6/15/09 with big caution
    that the "unloaded" ride would be firmer (of course) and they would not put the 3 spring leaf pack back on if I did not like the ride. I
    appreciate that. The dealer did need to do an "inspection" to confirm part no's, etc.

My Story:

On Friday brought truck in loaded with 'bout 500 lbs (Canopy and cargo back from trip). I provided copy of TSB (Rev1 9/30/08),
    photos of my TSB Part numbers and complaint that I was bottoming out and not pleased with the soft rear end, especially as I am
    using for work and also would be towing and concerned about the safety issues. Dealer's Service Manager "had heard of the TSB",
    but said their technician would need to inspect (with a 3-400 lb load) - got that set up for Monday.

On Saturday I called Corporate 8003314331 and initiated a case (complaint that I had the TSB parts - provided photos and copy of
    TSB to dealer and they still needed to "inspect"). They said my case manager would call me by Tuesday.

On Monday AM took my truck in Loaded with 'bout 600 lbs so they could see that I was hitting the bump stops. The technician took it
    for a drive and into the shop (one hour). They said that I was near load limit because they found "reduced by 290# sticker" and that
    is why it was bottoming out (they had no idea why the sticker was on the truck). I replied by showing them the brochure specs
    indicating a 1260 lb payload. They also said that they could not do the replacement because the TSB did not include 2009 models. I
    replied that I did not care, that it was the parts that were the issue. They then said they would pass my request on to their "Regional"
    Service authority, but there was no promise as to getting an approval to replace the springs. I thanked them and left.

Monday afternoon my case manager left a message that I would need to have the vehicle inspected (they had communicated with
    the Dealer). I called back and told her that I did have it inspected that AM. One hour later they called back to tell me that the Dealer
    would be replacing the Springs and would be calling me, but to caution me that the ride would be "harder" with no load, and wanted to
    make sure I understood that. I thanked the case manager.
    Shortly after, the Dealer Service called to inform me that they would replace the springs, but the unloaded ride would be "harder" and
    they would not put the original springs back on if I did not like the ride.
    I accepted all he was telling me and told him I would like the springs replaced. He said he would order the parts. I thanked him.
    Can not fault those I dealt with - professional, especially the corporate customer service folks.

Today 6/23/09 Dealer Service called and I am scheduled to have the replacement springs installed Thursday 6/25/09.
    This was the process. Is it a hassle? I think it is in that I had to provide the vehicle in a loaded condition and plead my case (using it
    in a loaded condition for work). Further thinking this over, the TSB states "heavy cargo", so I can see why the dealer would need to
    see "heavy cargo", and not just take a customer's word.

I can also appreciate that most TW members know their vehicle specs and know what they want. This is probably rare compared to
    who most dealer service departments deal with. The "dummy down" approach seems like how alot of producer/consumer
    interactions take place these days.

Finally, I credit one post on another thread - relating how most (US?) customers probably like a soft "car like" ride and maybe Toyota
    decided majority rules - at the factory.

I still do not know if it is worth the effort (will know more Thursday), or just to have done AAl on the 3 Spring - probably a push. HaHa!
    Enjoy your Tacoma!

10. Jun 23, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Just had mine done today but not before 3 trips to meet with 1) Service Adviser 2) Service Manager - with my boat in tow 3) Service Director - with boat again. The Service Manager took one look at it and went in to order parts. His boss, for some reason, didn't like the call and I got a phone call later that day to tell me to bring it back in that "Corporate" wants pics. I show up and the Service Director comes out with a camera, takes a look at the truck from 30 feet back and starts to tell me that it looks normal and that the TSB applied only to non-TRD trucks.:rolleyes: In the end, he obviously gave in and I have my new springs. Dropping the trailer on it this afternoon made a HUGE difference. They treated me right in the end and for that, I'm going have them do my 5100's in the front, alignment, and mount/balance new wheels and tires. Tit for tat!

Words of advise - Be persistent!!!

Edit - and take a copy of the TSB. Not sure why that makes a difference but it did for me.

http://clem.mscd.edu/~reesegr/B0305-08.pdf

11. Jun 23, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs

Different part numbers for the '09 according to my dealer but who knows??? They must be the same springs as nothing else seems to have changed.

12. Jun 23, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    geolink

Member:
    SILVER STATE
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech mats and hood protector, RuffTuff seat covers, padded console, Redline Hood Struts, Snugtop canopy w/Thule Rack, TSB rear springs plus AAL, 5100's all around OME 885 front coils, LR UCA, Avid Step Bars, LT265/70R17 BFG AT on stock Sport Rims
    My '09 3 spring pack part numbers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jun 23, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    My TSB springs are:

48210-04570-J
    48220-04210-J

Mine are faster!:D

Edit - On the springs themselves, the 7 on the right side and 1 on the left are not the original stampings.

14. Jun 23, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    geolink

Member:
    SILVER STATE
    Vehicle:
    Do I understand that these are your 4 leaf pack TSB replacement spring part numbers that you are now running?

15. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:01 PM
    white+Peal

white+Peal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner
    Magaflow catback exhaust, AEM CAI, front bumper made by famous fabrication, JBA long tube headers, All pro back bumper, BPF raptor style grill, 3' toytech lift
    this might be stupid but i keep hearing everybody talking about "TSB" WTF it that?? :confused:

16. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Good luck. Hopefully they can replace the parts on your Taco.

17. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    geolink

Member:
    SILVER STATE
    Vehicle:
    Go to the infamous sticker thread - TSB explained and pdf doument can be found there

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

18. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Yes. Installed today. The dealer told me they are different than previous years which I see now is listed on the '08 TSB so the '09 is no different than '08 anyway.

19. Jun 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Click on the link in post #10.

20. Jun 23, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    Cossi

Cossi [OP] TacoTacoTaco

Member:
    I have no clue.
    OKay. I called them back and then went to pick up the truck, and realized they hadn't done anything. They said it was normal, and the TRD has a rougher ride. I said I understand that, I have owned numerous 4X4 trucks. Also informed them I was a tech for a couple years and actually have a degree (A.A.S.) in automotive. They said they didn't load it and didn't know how much to load it with. I showed them the TSB and explained the old part numbers vs new part numbers and if they look at my springs they have the old part numbers on them. Their excuse was the TSB doesn't apply to 09s. Well finally the guy said he would talk to someone else, and they would call me back, that was at 1545 hours. I still haven't heard from them. I told him if I didn't hear from them in a day or two I would call them back. I think I will call Toyota and go that route.

I guess what pisses me off, is I DO know what I am talking about, I am educated, and I know vehicles (Not everything but some).

I just don't understand why these people don't want free money from warrantee work.

Products Discussed in

To Top