1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just dropped the hammer on complete lift kit

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Nicky Lam, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:18 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    + goes on drivers side. I asked one of the guys at down south motorsports about that. OME says they aren't side specific because they don't always pair them together like that. But the vendors will try to pair them together like that, instead of giving you two +'s or two -'s. + means above spec and - means below spec. I have tacolean pretty bad in the rear, i got a + and one with a 0 which i guess means at spec.

2. Dec 27, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    jrzyshore

jrzyshore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    SNJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Prius TRD Offroad
    Icon extended travel coilovers and rear shocks, Dakar leaf springs, Toytec U bolt flip, extended length Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Timbren Bump stops ,TC UCAs, Street Taco (Beefedtaco) 1 1/2" CB drop, 4x Innovation DOM tube sliders with kick outs, some extended brake lines,ATO front skid plate, ATO trans skid, ATO Hi Lift brackets, 60" Hi Lift jack and a pine tree air freshener.
    What ever you can get set up and as long as my schedule is good I am good to go. This is when I wish I had a garage we could do it at my house I have all the tools, but this time of year sucks working in the driveway.:)

3. Dec 27, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Put the + on the driver's side

4. Dec 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    Nicky Lam

Nicky Lam [OP] Dog Face Soldier

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Somers Point/Mount Laurel, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
    NOV12: Front windows tinted to matched to rear windows 12NOV12: Fog light anytime mod DEC12: OME 885 w/ 25912 top plate spacers for full 3" lift OME Trim packer Dakar Rear 5 Leaf Packs Total Chaos Uniball Upper Control Arms 2.5° Degree Rear Axle Shims 18JAN13: 17x9 Fuel Kranks 17x9 4.5 BS -12mm Offset 285-70-17 Goodyear Duratracs 23JAN13: OME Carrier Bearing Drop Kit 05FEB13 TRD Aluminum Skid Plate 05FEB13 TRD Stainless Steel Cat Back Exhaust (2012 modified to fit 2013) Auto Mate 5304A (Viper 5704 Equivalent) 2-Way Alarm/Remote Start with Smart Start for iPhone De-Badged All Emblems 30JUL13 Go Rhino Stainless Steel Dominator II Side Steps *not yet installed: Stainless Steel Extended Rear Brake Lines
    i installed the rear dakars today, OME nitro-charger shocks, center pin spacers and 2.5 degree axle shims.

2 hours 15 mins total install time, not bad for doing it alone, plus it was my first time working with leaf springs. i didnt have time to take pictures or measurements because i didnt have a tape measure at the time, and i was on a time constraint. i had to be out of the hobby shop by 530.

i didnt install my extended brake lines either, i left the brake line bracket off the axle to give it some extra slack, it looked pretty tight and i would definitely recommend them if you are going with the dakars in the rear. brake lines will be done at a later date when i have someone to pump the brakes for me.

i can tell you the truck looks sooo stupid right now with no front lift, i will do the front tomorrow. shouldn't take more than an hour for the front as the coils are already pre assembled.

im really sorry i couldnt get measurements and pictures of the install for you guys. i will take pictures of the truck tomorrow with the ridiculous rake and you can make fun of it to make up for my lack of pictures and measurements

if you are somewhat mechanically inclined its pretty damn easy. i referenced off PSU Taco's install/write up and that was really helpful.

i have a small shudder/vibration when i accelerate from a dead stop at about 7-8mph then it goes away, but it also did this when it was stock as well, ill throw on a CB drop kit and see if that helps at a later date as well.

any questions, comments feel free to ask. if i did it again, i could probably do it in 1.5 hours now that I've been through the motions, so if anyone needs help and lives close enough, buy me a 6 pack, lunch and ill turn some wrenches with you

ill try to get you some pictures and measurements of the front tomorrow.

5. Dec 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Give yourself more than and hour for the front, you are doing new UCAs right? It will definatley take some time to get those bolts out an reinstall them. I still recommend buying new UCA bolts from toyota, cut your old ones out and install the new ones backwards

6. Dec 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    Nicky Lam

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
    NOV12: Front windows tinted to matched to rear windows 12NOV12: Fog light anytime mod DEC12: OME 885 w/ 25912 top plate spacers for full 3" lift OME Trim packer Dakar Rear 5 Leaf Packs Total Chaos Uniball Upper Control Arms 2.5° Degree Rear Axle Shims 18JAN13: 17x9 Fuel Kranks 17x9 4.5 BS -12mm Offset 285-70-17 Goodyear Duratracs 23JAN13: OME Carrier Bearing Drop Kit 05FEB13 TRD Aluminum Skid Plate 05FEB13 TRD Stainless Steel Cat Back Exhaust (2012 modified to fit 2013) Auto Mate 5304A (Viper 5704 Equivalent) 2-Way Alarm/Remote Start with Smart Start for iPhone De-Badged All Emblems 30JUL13 Go Rhino Stainless Steel Dominator II Side Steps *not yet installed: Stainless Steel Extended Rear Brake Lines
    negative, the total chaos UCA's are not here yet, accoridng to my UPS tracking number they provided me they will be here on the 2nd of January. so they will go on at a later date probably the same time as the extended rear brake lines and new wheel/tire package. i feel the UCA's are going to be a bitch so i want to dedicate most of the job focusing on them alone (brake lines are so quick and minor its not going to mess up my UCA install). the shop charges me $5.50/hr to use the lift, air tools, a shit ton of tools and a huge warm bay so i don't want to spend too much time in there, thats why i had a hurry up and power through mentality today.

**EDIT** dont worry, i know my alignment will be off, ball joints above normal angles, etc.. im installing, drive a slow 15 miles back home, no wheeling, parking it and wont drive it again till the UCA's come in. im fortunate enough that i have a 2nd vehicle to use in the meantime, this will give it some time for the suspension to settle before i get it on the alignment rack.

7. Dec 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    jrzyshore

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    SNJ
    Vehicle:
    Icon extended travel coilovers and rear shocks, Dakar leaf springs, Toytec U bolt flip, extended length Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Timbren Bump stops ,TC UCAs, Street Taco (Beefedtaco) 1 1/2" CB drop, 4x Innovation DOM tube sliders with kick outs, some extended brake lines,ATO front skid plate, ATO trans skid, ATO Hi Lift brackets, 60" Hi Lift jack and a pine tree air freshener.
    Glad to here you got the back done. The front should be cake, Chris4x4 has a good right up on the UCAs. Like I said before if need the CB drop let me know. I can't wit to see some pics.

8. Dec 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    That sucks your UCAs wont be here because you will have everything apart anyway. How are you planning on doing it? I partially removed the sway bar so i could swing it out of the way, then separated the spindle and UCA. I didn't touch the LCA or tie rods. One random tool that was nice to have was a cats paw, or nail puller. Once the top of the coilover was in place it was little tricky to get the bottom mount bolt through the shock. I used a cats paw to pry up on the bottom of the shock to line up the opening and slide the bolt in.

9. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    Nicky Lam

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
    Well first of all, I'm gonna loosen the lug nuts, lift the truck up, the remove the tire... Haha! Just kidding man.

I'm gonna loosen the shock/coiliver bolt on the bottom and top, then proceed to drop the whole lower control arm from the hub, along with the sway bar, slide out the stock coil/shock, install new pre assembled OME's bring the lower control arm back up. Leave everything loose and when its all connect, i will tighten it all down. I'm not even going to touch the upper control arm. this seems to be the easiest way, I think i might have to remove the skid plates.

Always triple check my work going over all the nuts and bots to make sure they are tighten down to specs.

I was more worried about the rear than the fronts, and the rear was pretty damn easy, fronts should be a cake as I've worked with many IFS before.

10. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    :laughing: You can swing the sway bar completely out of the way if you remove the skid plate and take off the sway bar mounts, so ya that will probably make it easier for you. Sounds like you got it, cant wait to see pictures!

11. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    Nicky Lam

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
    face down ass up... thats the way we like our truck :ohsnap: not the best pics, but you get the idea, will get some during day light hours tomorrow. driving with the headlights on with this rake, they are pointed straight down, like if it were just fog lights on only.

:anonymous:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Did you get the OME AAL as well ?

13. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    Nicky Lam

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
    negative... just the CS047R i think there are 4 leafs and 2 overload. no more leafs. 1 of these dakar leaf packs was as heavy as both my stock leafs (3 leaf)

jumping up and down in the bed the rear moved quite a bit, with the dakar's it barely moves... rides smooth, but firm, i cant explain it... maybe "planted" is a better way to describe the rear.

14. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yeah , I have Dakars

Yours just looks really high but that could be because the front is so low currently

15. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    Looks sharp! I like it!

17. Dec 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    Nicky Lam

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
    yeah, its pretty damn high, the brake lines were stretched pretty good, ill have to get the extended lines on there asap, i dont like the idea of the bracket just dangling there.

18. Dec 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I have a couple inches of slack under flex with my stock brake lines

Yours are probably tight because the front isn't done yet

19. Dec 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    Nicky Lam

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blk DC Off Road
    im gonna pay my neighbors fat kid to jump in the bed all night.. he could use some exercise

20. Dec 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    jrzyshore

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    SNJ
    Vehicle:
    Those rear brake lines are a bitch too.

Products Discussed in

To Top