1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just experienced my 1st kidney stone!

Discussion in 'Health' started by QMEDJoe, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Sep 16, 2018 at 8:34 PM
    TacoMTga

TacoMTga Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    I was about 24 or 25 when I had my first one and it is the best way to make a grown guy cry like a baby. Had one about 3 years later and decided that maybe my sweet tea and mountain dew were going to have to be a part of the past. Basically went cold turkey on the sodas and drink lemonade, cranberry juice, apple juice, and lots of water and hope for the best.

QMEDJoe[OP] likes this.
  2. Sep 16, 2018 at 9:01 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Had mine on my last day of duty in the AZNG. Had pain in the jewels and went to the VA emergency room. Since I was in Tucson and my registered hospital was Phoenix, I had to wait 2 hours for elegibility to open to get approval to be seen. By that time, I was unable to walk and had to be wheeled back to the ER. They did a sono on the twins and my abdomen before they finally agreed with me that I didnt have an std but a couple stones.
    They pumped me full of drugs and I had someone from my company come and pick me up. The next day, I went and picked my truck up at the VA (thankfully everything was still in it). Spent a couple days sleeping off the drugs in the XO office then drove up to Oregon before the damn things passed about two weeks later.
    Thats my TMI contribution for the week.

3. Sep 16, 2018 at 10:10 PM
    QMEDJoe

QMEDJoe [OP] Proverbs 3:5-6

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 black DLX Tacoma,5VZ-FE,5 speed,4x4.
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    I definitely have been humbled by this. It literally caused me to search deep into myself. Areas of my life, monies spent on absolute foolishness. I definitely want to draw closer to God. How’s the fight with cancer going?

4. Sep 16, 2018 at 10:14 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers in the front and Fox 2.0’s in the rear, Total Chaos UCA’s, Al-lpro expo leafs, K&N cold air intake, TRD headers,Magnaflow catback exhaust,URD short throw shifter, switched out my 60/40 bench seat for some Tacoma Limited seats, Replaced the vinyl shift boot for a leather one, completely soundproofed the cab w/ Frost King. Replaced stock radio with a Pioneer AVH series head unit. Focal component system w/a 10" sub powered by 2 Alpine amps. Weathertech floor mats. Line-X'd the bed. SCS Ray 10’s, Installed an A.R.E. MX series camper shell. All-Pro Apex front bumper w/ All-Pro skid plates all the way back to the Trans. Low Range fuel skid plate.
    Yep, this hitch I went crazy on sugars, sodas etc etc. I’ve also been taking high dose vitamin c and I’ve read that could do it too. I just want to get past this and never have to experience this again. My pain was a full 8 on a 10 scale.

5. Sep 16, 2018 at 10:21 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Yep, I’ve only seen small granules in the strainer. I head to Lithotripsy tomorrow in the am

6. Sep 16, 2018 at 10:23 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    I was tied up in port. We were fueling up and headed out to a rig within two hrs. Thank God it dropped when it did!

7. Sep 16, 2018 at 10:48 PM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    Stories like this make me want to double up on my daily 2g intake of water.

QMEDJoe[OP] likes this.
  8. Sep 16, 2018 at 10:54 PM
    The Real Moondog

The Real Moondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Sold :()
    It has taught me to live day by day and to take nothing for granted. Faith and family have become more important than ever. I’m on chemo and have been since 2011. I’m actually doing well, but the pain is the biggest obstacle for me. There is really no way to describe it and no way to make it go away. I just manage it and try to stay busy to keep my mind off it.

9. Sep 17, 2018 at 7:50 AM
    tntacomaguy

tntacomaguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Man, reading all these posts has brought the pain of mine back into light. Back in 06, I had just finished my first year of college and was home for a couple weeks before heading out of state again for summer work. Woke up about 4am in the worst pain in my lower back and family jewels I'd ever felt. (Growing up on a farm in the mts of WV, I've dealt with plenty of accidents and pain). Went to ER and they said it was either kidney stone (said they couldn't see it on the X-ray) or possibly just an infection and gave me some pain pills and antibiotics. Never had a pain like that again until fast forward to about 3 years ago. Noticed my back was hurting a bit and kept getting worse then again the jewels started aching. Next thing I knew I was hurling my guts out making the pain even worse. Being too stubborn to go to Dr, I just looked up home remedies and dealt with it. Would have day of pain here and there then be fine for a a week or two. Finally, went to walk in clinic one night cause it was so bad and I had actually called into work and they 'couldn't' do anything because I was a guy and said to go to ER. I said screw that and went home lol. This was early spring, during the summer my job assigned me to help the lawn crew a couple days a week riding a zero turn mower. After a couple weeks of riding the mower bouncing like a fool on the mountains around here since it was very rough terrain for a zero turn, I was riding it one day a good half mile or more from a restroom, I felt the insane urge to take a leak. Since there was tons of people around that day I couldn't sneak behind a tree as normal and took off to the maintenance shed with a restroom. Got there and oh man trying to relieve myself was unbearable, thought I was dying. Kept pushing and heard a clink and went diving for it. (I know TMI) but I wasn't about to let that little sucker go down the toilet. Long story short, it passed and after a few mins of limping around trying to recover, I got back on the mower and finished the day.

10. Sep 17, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    gall bladder stones arent any fun either! A guy I worked with had kidney stones a couple times and one time he was driving and had to pull over on the side of the road and call 911.

11. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    rlj251

rlj251 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Lower Mainland, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road DCSB Silver - SOLD Oct 2, 2020;; 2020 Ford F-150 XLT 302A, SCrew, 2.7EB, Tow pkg, Sport pkg, 20" rim option. Magnetic
    OME 3"w/888, Falken Wildpeak LT285-75/16, Crusin Offroad Rocksliders, Flex-it Fabrications Front bumper w/Smittybuilt X20 10k wired/wireless controller, Bakflip Tonneau. More to come.
    Had them about 10 - 12 years ago. Grocery shopping and intense pain. Made it home and could never get comfortable. After about an hour and a few washroom trips later (clear/yellow became a bit red), the pain went away. 10 hours later, the pain came back. Hospital trip. In the waiting room, pain went away again. Given some pain pills and scheduled for an MRI the next day. They were both gone by then. While waiting for the MRI and then results, some people waiting had had them for weeks and they hadn't passed. Couldn't even imagine what kind of pain they were having after that much time.

12. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:06 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    They suck. Bad. I mighta called for mommy once or twice.

13. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Worked for a company that developed a lithrotropy machine.

On a side note, after I passed mine, they sent me for X-ray to be sure there were none left. The process the night before leaves you pretty empty. And to think I almost got out the door before it hit :)

14. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:13 AM
    XxWaddell18xX

XxWaddell18xX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    South Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Silver Manual
    Small world, not only am I also a QMED I had my first kidney stone last December. Same circumstances too, I was at work and they thought it was appendicitis. I'm also in the Gulf working. I work on a rig though, Helix Q4000. They flew me through Galliano straight to East Jefferson in New Orleans.

QMEDJoe[OP] likes this.
  15. Sep 17, 2018 at 1:43 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Nice! I work for Hornbeck. I’ve been here for 6-1/2 years. As soon as that big money comes back I’m gonna jump over to the rigs...:thumbsup:

16. Sep 17, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    I deal with stones too. Been in the hospital 3 times for them. I stay plenty hydrated but I'm just prone to them, inherited it from my moms' side of the family. My right kidney currently has several 5-6mm stones and lots of gravel. Best and most helpful thing I've come across is a home remedy - 1oz lemon juice, 1oz extra virgin olive oil and 1oz apple cider vinegar. Gulp it down like a big shot. Not the most palatable thing and it upsets my stomach a little but for me it works well. Great indicator for me is I'll get pain, like and uncomfortably firm squeeze, in my right testicle. When that happens I start with the drink. One of these per day for two or three days and I'm good. Haven't been to the hospital in several years now doing this. Ymmv. Best wishes from a fellow sufferer.

QMEDJoe[OP] likes this.
  17. Sep 17, 2018 at 6:49 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for this. I read about that somewhere else in a blog but reading that it actually works for someone, I’ll screen shot this and write it down and use it. I’m hoping it was a one time thing. I don’t know anyone in my family on both sides that has gotten them.

Toy4me[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Sep 17, 2018 at 6:52 PM
    916carl

916carl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB TRD Sport SR5
    Hey @QMEDJoe - weren't you having your lithotripsy today?

19. Sep 17, 2018 at 6:57 PM
    QMEDJoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Fleetwood NC
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE: I went in this morning for my Lithotripsy appt and got the x-rays beforehand and found that it’s right at the very end of the tube that connects the kidney and bladder. We didn’t go through the Lithotripsy, tried to push it through with some drugs and iv’s and two hrs later no go so I’m home drinking water like know tomorrow. Hopefully next report will be that I passed it!

ian408 and TomTwo like this.
  20. Sep 17, 2018 at 6:59 PM
    The Real Moondog

The Real Moondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Sold :()
    Good luck. You may or may not be able to pass it, but the Lithrotripsy is also a mixed bag. There are no good options here so you have to go with what you think is best. Hang in there!

QMEDJoe[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top