1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just got my Setup on and have a few questions

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by tacotunner06, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Nov 28, 2018 at 9:50 AM
    tacotunner06

tacotunner06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Edmonds, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma
    LS Swap with RSG Tranzilla, Custom hi clearance front bumper, Relentless: Slider's, bed rails, rear bumper, Prinsu with 40" BD s8. Dirt Designs 3.5 LT. Archive Garage rear towers/shackle flip/SUA. King Air bumps. King LT Coilovers in front. King 12x2.5 in rear. ARB rear air locker and twin compressor. SCS f5's with 33" Ridge Grapplers. 20" S8 mounted in bumper, squadron sport fog lights, squadron pro backup lights, LP6's bumper mounted.
    I just finished installing my 2+ TC kit and had a few questions for the guys in the know. Everything seems fine except for when i first start driving somewhere i have a small shudder that i can feel in my feet until i hit about 10 mph, then it immediately disappears and never comes back until i stop and start again. Not sure if this is a normal thing or if i need to figure out what binds at low speeds. I am also 4wd which i'm sure makes a difference with the front axles. Also i had my truck aligned at 4 degrees caster and 0 toe 0 camber. The steering still seems to want to wander and was wondering if just stepping up to 4.5 or 5 degrees of caster is what i need. thanks for any help.

Hawk373 likes this.
  2. Nov 28, 2018 at 12:55 PM
    TOTAL CHAOS

TOTAL CHAOS WWW.CHAOSFAB.COM Vendor

Member:
    Corona, CA
    Could you post photos (close-ups and far away) of your suspension? And a pic of your tires. Please include different angles of the newly installed parts. We are happy to take a look and see if anything looks out of the ordinary. Feel free to reach us directly at info@chaosfab.com if you have any questions.

TOTAL CHAOS
    WWW.CHAOSFAB.COM

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Dirt King Taco and Slvr14tacoma like this.
  3. Nov 29, 2018 at 10:24 AM
    Canks

Canks Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB in pieces; 04 Tundra Access cab also in pieces

The shutter sounds more like axle wrap than anything. But if its coming from your feet that is strange.

The wandering could be your alignment or could be from the fact that you now have a front end that is 4"s wider than the rear. The skinnier rear could cause quite a bit of wandering, depending on what the symptoms are.

Like what TC said, pics and an alignment print out would be helpful if you can post them.

4. Nov 29, 2018 at 6:14 PM
    Hawk373

Hawk373 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCLB
    DMZ, ADS, King, JFR, SOS, ECGS, LSK
    Add a small amount of toe in; 1/8”, not sure what that is in degrees. Sounds like you got a nice alignment though.

5. Nov 29, 2018 at 6:27 PM
    tacotunner06

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Edmonds, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma
    LS Swap with RSG Tranzilla, Custom hi clearance front bumper, Relentless: Slider's, bed rails, rear bumper, Prinsu with 40" BD s8. Dirt Designs 3.5 LT. Archive Garage rear towers/shackle flip/SUA. King Air bumps. King LT Coilovers in front. King 12x2.5 in rear. ARB rear air locker and twin compressor. SCS f5's with 33" Ridge Grapplers. 20" S8 mounted in bumper, squadron sport fog lights, squadron pro backup lights, LP6's bumper mounted.
    I can get pictures tomorrow in the daylight, but sadly and awesomely the shudder went away...and as far as I can tell everything is still tight and looks correct. Really wish I could have found out what was causing it....

6. Nov 30, 2018 at 9:53 AM
    TOTAL CHAOS

Member:
    Corona, CA
    Great to hear that the issue is resolved. Send images if you would like us to take a peek at the setup and double check everything for you

TOTAL CHAOS
    WWW.CHAOSFAB.COM

.45 JHP likes this.
  7. Nov 30, 2018 at 11:10 AM
    tacotunner06

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Edmonds, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma
    There is with the wheels straight
    There is with wheels turned out

And there’s the alignment, thinking of bumping up the caster closer to 4.5 degrees

Dalandser likes this.
  8. Dec 1, 2018 at 11:28 PM
    tacotunner06

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Edmonds, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma
    @TOTAL CHAOS , got it back on my buddies lift tonight and with it at full droop the front axle shafts have a noticeable wobble to them that almost completely disappears when you jack up against the lower arm to put it to ride height. Both sides do this.

9. Dec 7, 2018 at 8:39 AM
    TOTAL CHAOS

Member:
    Corona, CA
    What you're experiencing is normal, nothing to be worried about

TOTAL CHAOS
    WWW.CHAOSFAB.COM

10. Jan 28, 2019 at 3:41 PM
    Basikbiker

Basikbiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trav
    Vehicle:
    09 AccCab 4x4 spaceship
    My doors are the only stock things left besides the headlights
    I'd add a little toe in 1/8" and double check the big CV axle nut that goes thru the hub is tight and torqued to spec....if those get loose or arnt tight enough itll roach the press fit wheel bearing apart and make your tires wobble. In which case you would need new wheel bearings...that's like one very particular thing to pay close attention to when playing with the toyota unit bearing style LT stuff that nut has to be tightened correctly..

I'm not saying that's the problem but since your new to the LT thing its something to keep in mind

Products Discussed in

To Top