1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just how good is the Tacoma Auto

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by First Taco, May 21, 2012.

1. May 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    That is some funny shit right there!

2. May 22, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    mirraman

mirraman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    98 4Runner Limited 4X4 e-locker :-)
    99 4Runner springs all around: 1" over factory.
    So the first thing makes sense because you can't. #2 shouldn't happen unless you, for some strange reason, don't replace a bad battery and have to push start over and over again:p. #3 is a little odd because i think you should be in the vehicle if headed down hill (not sure what happened there).

3. May 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Bottom line is, your car is not a Go-ped...

4. May 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    mirraman

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    How many manuals? A dozen or so "manual shift" autos isn't the same. I suppose it really comes down to what you do with your truck. If it's just a DD, then you may not think there is a difference. If you use it for a bit more, and have experience with both, you would feel differently. Regardless, it would seem that we disagree here. If you look back I already mentioned that it would depend on your location and what you want out of the truck to determine which one is better for you.

5. May 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Sorry Charlie , you can manually select gears with the auto , as I said before , your selection limits the upper gear that the truck will shift up to .

Downshifting the auto is pretty much the same as downshifting a manual

Drove a manual truck for 15 years before getting my Tacoma

I carry a jump pack in the truck

6. May 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Yes, the way I look at it, its not a true manual unless it has 3 pedals. I've driven in Las Vegas rush hour traffic with a manual and didn't flinch, but my legs are the strongest limbs on my body so pushing in a hydraulic clutch doesn't take much! Still, once in a while I must admit driving a auto is a nice break from shifting! That's what my 78 Bronco is for, everything else I own is a manual.

7. May 22, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Don't think anybody said the auto was a manual , just that you CAN select gears or limit the shift range , I do this every time it snows

8. May 22, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Well Tim, it's cool. If you like manuals you should get one. Do what you like I always say. I was just struck by your "you cant shift an auto manually" logic, or lack there of. For me, never again. I like to plow, pull a boat, and four wheel with an auto.

9. May 22, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    I probably said something like that 25 years ago.:D

10. May 22, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    Love my auto! And am getting over 21mpg!

11. May 23, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    I used to plow with automatics, they don't last long doing that. I blew a couple up real good. Since then I've only plowed with manuals, never had a problem since.

And you have completely missed the point of not shifting an automatic manually. What you are doing with an automatic is telling the computer to limit shifting. It still shifts up to that point by itself, and if you spin the engine over the redline, it will still upshift past that point. Unless you have an actual lever that connects mechanically to shift hubs, it is just an override, not a manual shift. If I want to start off in 3rd gear, then by god, I'm going to start off in 3rd gear.

Also very important... regarding your bump starting practice... your alternator was fried to begin with, that's why the battery was dead. If you had to jump through the window, then you were doing it wrong and that is YOUR fault. First off, if the driver is doing the pushing, the driver should be pushing against the drivers side A pillar. Second, USE THE FORCE! If you're on a hill, gravity! If you can't do it safely by yourself, find some big guys to do the pushing for you.

Anybody saying about jump pack... no good they don't provide the current needed to overcome both a dead battery and the starter motor. Jump cables can be equally useless if you are somewhere that there are no other cars around to jump from.

You also said something about a corvette at being faster in 1/4 mile than mt... with who driving? What are the transmission ratios of both? A crappy mt can work worse than a good at, and a crappy driver can drive slower than a good driver.

@RetiredFF: regarding manual engine breaking and clutch wear... engine breaking does not wear the clutch. Only slipping the clutch wears the clutch. If you're good at an mt, that means wear is limited to starting from stop *only*. Downshifting does not wear clutch when done right.

12. May 23, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Your fuelly says 20.1. Either way though, that's really poor mileage.

13. May 23, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    *waits for dhk to make an account and comment on this*

14. May 23, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    thats my avg since i started using fuelly.....last 4 tanks have been 21mpg :)

15. May 23, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    mirraman

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    ^^this

16. May 23, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I've never , ever , had a problem with using a jump pack , apparently neither has the BCAA recovery truck that uses the same one to start all the dead vehicles they encounter

17. May 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    One of them has to be DHK its that wierd style of posting :D

18. May 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Weren't you recently banned for this kind of nonsense?
    Your hatred of 4-cyl is quite evident. All things you say about 4 cyl are very clearly biased and completely inaccurate. Do be careful not to start any crap, I hear you've been given your last warning.

19. May 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    :wave: dhk

20. May 23, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Excuse me?
    I was referring to the events that got him banned last week, where he got real bitchy about the gearing on 4-cyl.

Products Discussed in

To Top