1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just installed Block Heater

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mgaudet7, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Oct 12, 2008 at 9:25 AM
    mgaudet7

mgaudet7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Offroad Speedway Blue
    stock except for TRD seat covers
    So I just finished installing my engine block heater on my 2006 4.0L and thought that i would start this thread for anyone else that wants to install a block heater and has no idea how. I surfed the net for probably an hour and finally came across this link which has pictures and explanations on how to do it. Its very simple and takes very little time. So if anyone else is planning on installing a block heater in their taco and has no idea how than go to that link or feel free to send any questions my way

2. Oct 13, 2008 at 9:21 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Nice, I'm going to look in to this more. We have one on our Dodge diesel and it's a wonderful accessory to own.

3. Oct 13, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    tdm156

tdm156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC 4x4 SR5**Sold
    I talked to my dealer about getting one and having it installed on mine as well. They really didnt want to order the parts or do it for me but after much discussion for about $200 they said they could order and install. From the looks of that its pretty easy to install and would save me about $100

4. Oct 13, 2008 at 11:07 AM
    SNIPES

SNIPES Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    04 Access Cab
    Any write ups on the 2.7 Install?

5. Sep 28, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    AFTaco

AFTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
  6. Oct 10, 2009 at 4:05 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    First off, sorry for bringing up a old thread. I just got done installing my block heater and just wanted to thank Tacoma World for all the help. If I would have had to go by the included instructions there is no way I would have got it installed...they were wrote up for installation on a 2007 Lexus LS460/460L engine. The write-up here and included links had enough information to where the installation was easy. I bought the heater from my local Toyota dealer for $41.39 (part number PU140-00900).

7. Oct 10, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Never really considered this until now. I think it'll come in handy. Thanks guys

8. Oct 10, 2009 at 4:23 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nice...doesn't get too cold here in Kansas, but for $50 or less it would be good for those four or five weeks a year when it does actually get cold.

9. Oct 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I loved the plug in block heater on my F250 diesel. Of course, diesels and cold weather do not go hand in hand but when I drove it during the big snow this past year I was able to hop in and fire it right up and the heater would be blowing nice warm air.

10. Oct 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    PropJet

PropJet Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    Which would be more effective, a block heater or an oil pan heater?

11. Oct 10, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    X 2. R there block heaters 4 2.7's or just 4 the 6 cyl motors ?

12. Oct 10, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    chiefridr

chiefridr I don't want a large farva!

Member:
    Carrollton, TX
    Vehicle:
    16 DCTRDOR
    This is a good question, one that I would like to know the answer of also. Anyone?

13. Oct 11, 2009 at 5:27 AM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I put one on my 2.7L, but they are much more difficult to install. I had to drain the collant and remove a frost plug to install it.
    It worked well though.
    The V6's heater is supper easy to install.

Shawn

Brewnmn likes this.
  14. Oct 11, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Thanks. You're the guy that did the nice write up on heated mirrors, right? Maybe you could do one on block heaters for 2.7's. I'm sure there are a lot of guys that never pulled a frost plug. I've done a lot of work on various cars and trucks I've owned but never pulled a frost plug or installed a block heater. Be nice if I had something I could slip it into like those guys with 6's or is it sex I'm thinking about again. I don't think of much but that and the Taco. Thanks.

15. Oct 11, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I can't take any credit for the heated mirror write-up. It was TSILLIKER and CtryBoyInMT that made the install easy for guys like me. I too appreciate the efforts of these memebrs. I just screwed up the switch and reported my experience!

With regards to the 2.7L block heater install, I did it on my 96 2.7Lyears ago, and I no longer own the truck, although my friend has an 05 and the blocks look the same, but he doesn't want a heater.
    If you have never done it before, I would recommend you bring it to a mechanic, not that it's super difficult, but it would be a good time to flush and change your coolant since you have to drain it anyways and I always find it a pain to dispose of that stuff. Once they drain the collant it really only takes a few minutes to pop the plug out and insert the heater.

Shawn

16. Oct 11, 2009 at 7:41 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. That is probably a good idea when its time to do the flush anyway. In the mean time maybe someone who has done it on a 2.7 will be inspired to write it up if this thread stays on the front burner long enough for them 2 C it. Thanks again for the quick reply. On the mirrors, the wiring is the part that I'm not comfortable with. I might have to hit you up with more questions on that one, experience being the best teacher, you got some good lessons.

17. Nov 11, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilbur's Barn
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail V6
    Toytec Ulimate W/Dakar leaf pack, LR UCA'S, Undercover, Weather Tech, Block Heater
    Had Kari Toyota in Superior WI. install one. They said on the phone it was $110 for installation & $80 parts. Thay had it in stock, droped it off eat breakfast went back they charged me installed $83.70. Labor $38.70 45.00 heater, They had some Weather Tech boxes by a wall asked if they had Tacoma ones (bingo) got a set. I did a little trimming for the clutch pedal. Total tor everthing 209.75. I'm not a big fan of dealers but they were great.:D

18. Nov 11, 2011 at 11:20 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    is having block heater more effiective than a remote starter on your truck ???

19. Nov 12, 2011 at 12:17 AM
    jdmdcfan

jdmdcfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    x2

20. Nov 12, 2011 at 1:10 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    It's safer if you have a garage (no exhaust). And safer than remote starting in your driveway (if the possibility of theft is a concern). But mostly it's a way of keeping the block warm(er) in severe cold situations. It's like preheating an oven .. so the engine reaches optimal temperature faster (saves gas and reduces wear).

In our case, my wife leaves early in the morning for work, so we have one installed on the Subaru. We plug it into a wall timer in the unheated garage when really cold weather (below zero) is expected, and it comes on for just a few hours before she leaves.

But unless you live in a cold environment, there's really no reason for one.

Products Discussed in

To Top