1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just installed URD MAF calibrator!!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by ez_money08, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Mar 14, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    Cheeto6182

Cheeto6182 Cheeto

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Offroad DoubleCab
    JBA Headers, Custom Snorkel/Ram-Air Intake, Spal Electric Fan Conversion, TBS lol, Borla Exhaust, ToyTec Coilovers, Old Man Emu Rear Leafs, Bilstein 5100's, Alpine system (type R's), 4.56 Gearing, 285/75/R16, Bead Lock Rims, Bed Carpeting, SoftTopper, Ram Air intake Mod, URD MAF, Dash Dyno, One Piece Drive-Shaft Conversion, Bed Cubby Led Lights, 12,500 Lbs winch, Expediation bed racking system, Hella Lights, Custom front winch bumper
    Thanks dude! lol God I love this place

2. Mar 23, 2010 at 9:30 PM
    Some Old Blind Man

Some Old Blind Man Got brake lights? Big ones??

Member:
    Valrico, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 2TR A.cab
    Elbow mod, DT Header, URD SS, Streetaco's radiator skidplate/guard, BHLM, Magnaflow
    Quick additional question... Can these "tunes" be saved to disk-file? Sounds like a new filespace or website coming soon.. a collection of MAF tunes...

3. Mar 23, 2010 at 9:31 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    i think there already is a place in another forum that has people that unloaded their maps

4. Apr 14, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    Thread revival!! Just got to thinking does anyone know if it will do any thing on a 3rz motor?? Just was wondering because I have a K@N CAI, header, throttle body spacer, and exhaust. Just wondering if it would help out with the mods I have?

5. Apr 14, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    Cheeto6182

Cheeto6182 Cheeto

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    JBA Headers, Custom Snorkel/Ram-Air Intake, Spal Electric Fan Conversion, TBS lol, Borla Exhaust, ToyTec Coilovers, Old Man Emu Rear Leafs, Bilstein 5100's, Alpine system (type R's), 4.56 Gearing, 285/75/R16, Bead Lock Rims, Bed Carpeting, SoftTopper, Ram Air intake Mod, URD MAF, Dash Dyno, One Piece Drive-Shaft Conversion, Bed Cubby Led Lights, 12,500 Lbs winch, Expediation bed racking system, Hella Lights, Custom front winch bumper
    Not sure about the 3RZ. I have the 1GR, after doing similar mods to my truck my long term and short term fuel trims were way off and running rich. The MAF Cal helped me dial them back to near zero for closed loop, and bring my open loop air to fuel ratio from 15 down to 12. aka, pretty effective

6. Apr 14, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    Thanks!! How was the gains? Was it more HP or torque? Or about equal? I just need more torque because 3rz + 30'' tires + auto trans= NOTHING untill about 3k.

7. Apr 14, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    Cheeto6182

Cheeto6182 Cheeto

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    When I first put the unit in I didn't notice a whole lot. But after driving it around and the ECU was able to establish some decent long term fuel trim data I began to notice the difference. Then I tuned it and I went from never breaking the tires loose to chirping them and feeling like it was pulling a lot harder. I have 285/75/R16's (33's) and am at 5300 ft elevation (Denver) so that's a pretty good gain. I haven't dyno'd it though. And there is always the possibility that it is in my head. The chirping tires may be due to the fuel trims being dialed in because it takes a second for the ECU to shift form closed to open loop (open loop is where the MAF Cal is doing most its work). Either way, the tuning capabilities of this unit can not be denied because I am no longer running rich.
    You already have header, exhaust, and intake.. if you have the mod bug like the rest of us your next steps are: Lighter pulleys, Maf Cal, TCAI, or gearing.
    If your looking for a gain that will be night and day its all about gearing. I geared from 3.73 to 4.56... HUUUUUUUUUGE difference.
    also keep in mind, to tune that Maf Cal you're going to need a wideband air to fuel ratio gauge and an OBDII scan tool. these are an extra 250-300 on top of the 250 for the unit itself. The nice thing is these tools can be used with any car you have and you'll never have to go to a mechanic to get DTC's and engine lights cleared (investment).
    OK, this is officially a tangent lol

8. Apr 14, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    Ok thanks! IDK Im not that inclined on tuning. Just because I have no idea on what I would be doing.:eek: Also just wondering does the ScanguageII have A/F ratio capabilities? If so would you still need the wide ban meter?

9. Apr 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    Cheeto6182

Cheeto6182 Cheeto

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Don't use the lack of knowledge as an excuse to not tune. Think about, not to bomb a mechanics, but its not like these guys are doing rocket science and evaluating massively complex equations. Read gadgets Utune guide (for the MAF pgs 1-23, once it gets to the FTC part on pg 24 it no longer applies to the unit) word for word, don't skim it. By the end you'll know everything you need to know about Long term and short term trims, fuel ratio's, fuel maps, and the tools involved. The ScangaugeII gives you narrow band air to fuel ratio's and these come from closed loop live data, but once you floor it and the ecu switches over to open loop the ecu is no longer reading the stock sensors "live" and is operating off of your long term fuel trim data (its basically flying blind and dumping fuel into the sensors by best guess due to previously stored long term data), this is where you need the wideband air to fuel ratio gauge to tell you what is happening because the ECU doesn't know what's actually happening. Instead of using the Scangauge, I went with the DashDyno because I can hook it straight up to my laptop for live data logging while driving, full OBD II diagnostic capabilities, and more expandability and parameters (won it off ebay for 150). For the wideband I didn't buy the fancy wideband units URD has on their site for 350+, I just went with an innovative motorsports wideband A-F gauge (once again ebay 150). You can get a cheap OBD II off of ebay (instead of the more costly scangauge and dashdyno)as well but I dont know much about the 40$ ones, make sure it is the type that can be connected to a lap top.
    Either way, I'll attach the utune guide and the tune tools I got to tune it.

Attached Files:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Apr 14, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    Thanks!!! Im reading through it right now. Also just wondering could URD preset a tune acording to my mods? Or would it be a generic tune?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Apr 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    Cheeto6182

Cheeto6182 Cheeto

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    The guide will tell you that every vehicle runs differently, even if they have the exact same mods. So the map you got would be generic. And remember, your stock ecu will always try to keep a closed loop A-F ratio of about 14 - 14.7. you cannot tune this with this unit, the MAF cal applies to the Open loop. All you can do with closed loop is dial in the fuel trim compensations. So basically, your gains from this unit are mainly for when your accelerating heavily and not regular driving... hope this didn't throw a monkey wrench into your understanding lol.

12. Apr 14, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    jab08

jab08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    02 T4R 4wd
    HAHA no. Im learning.

13. Jul 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    johnh7

johnh7 life. It goes on.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    GA
    i was wondering if anybody knows about this website or forum where people have been putting up these maps at?? there was one on a freewebs server but there not there no more...

thanks

14. Sep 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    maps

http://mafmaps.webs.com/05plustacoma.htm

still trying to figure out how to load the new map onto the maf calibrator, but i found that while searching today..

yea i know it's an old thread but i see no one answered..

Products Discussed in

To Top