1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just Lifted, now I need Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dewriffic16, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Apr 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    dewriffic16

dewriffic16 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Off-Road DC
    Custom Perforated Stainless Satoshi Grill, 3" Toytech Ultimate Lift with AAL in the rear, Total Chaos UCAs up front, Bilstiens all around, Diff drop/sway bar drop, Locker Anytime Mod, Map Light on with doors, AUX back up camera on anytime switch.
    Ya this isn't really a vibration, I can only feel it if I try real hard, radio off smooth road, coasting but there is something there. I don't have anything else besides a slight shudder if I take off at just the right speed, other than that no problems with vibs at any speed. I've worked on cars and trucks my whole life and own and know how to use a torque wrench, I can imagine that if I had any more aggressive tire than these POS rugged trails I probably wouldn't even notice the problem. In fact I am pretty good at identifying vibrations due to failing parts after owning a lifted chevy for the past 5 years. Everything from idler arms, CV shafts, Drivelines, wheel bearings, ball joints, differential gears, and alignment issues, this one feels like a warped rotor but doens't get worse when you apply the brakes. It goes away in 4WD meaning its in the diff and has to do with the bearing being loaded in a way it isn't designed for.

I think for now my solution is to turn up the radio and buy those wheels and tires and pretend as though I never noticed it.:cool: I will be sure and post an angry message after I grenade my front end at 61,000 miles, but until then I will try and break some other stuff still under warranty.

2. Apr 6, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    lmao!!!!

3. Apr 6, 2009 at 8:46 PM
    Butler_Geek

Butler_Geek Well-Known Member

Member:
    Berdo Mountains
    Vehicle:
    upyrs
    How many miles have you clocked since the install?

4. Apr 7, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    dewriffic16

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Off-Road DC
    Custom Perforated Stainless Satoshi Grill, 3" Toytech Ultimate Lift with AAL in the rear, Total Chaos UCAs up front, Bilstiens all around, Diff drop/sway bar drop, Locker Anytime Mod, Map Light on with doors, AUX back up camera on anytime switch.
    If this question is for me... Only about 250 since my lift, total of about 1700 miles on the truck so far. I didn't notice it for the first few miles because It wasn't aligned but after the alignment I noticed it soon after.

5. Apr 7, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    30,000 on my truck, and I dont know who else has what milage.

6. Dec 18, 2009 at 1:57 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    dewriffic16, I'm curious did you ever take any further action to try to identify your issue or get it resolved? Just wondering. Thanks.

7. Dec 18, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    i just did the 5100's at 2.5 waiting on the aal yet and no alingment and no vibes a lil squirly at times but no vibe..... alingment will be done next week

8. Dec 19, 2009 at 5:02 AM
    dewriffic16

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Off-Road DC
    Hi Guys, Still haven't had any major issues... I finally got all my wheels and tires installed and that seemed to make the problem not as noticeable (could still be there, just can't feel it as easy) I'm not too worried about it for now, but If I feel it get worse or if something else happens, I will be sure to keep everyone posted.

9. Apr 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    Arctic Taco

Arctic Taco Firefly, Serenity Ed. -Arctic Taco, a slow build

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denali Park, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma Xtra Cab DLX, 85 Toyota LWB 4x4
    dents and missing bits Gravel garage, hillbilly trained mechanic…
    I am experiencing a similar sound minor vibration, it happens both before the installation of the Bilstiens 5100 with OME 883 springs and a Daystar AAL with subsequent alignment( after the front end installation not after the AAL)
    The noise comes and goes but is somewhat annoying since it is pre existing, the driver's side half shaft slides in and out a smidge but the pass side is solid, so maybe bearings?

10. Apr 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    Arctic Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denali Park, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    I am experiencing a similar sound minor vibration, it happens both before the installation of the Bilstiens 5100 with OME 883 springs and a Daystar AAL with subsequent alignment( after the front end installation not after the AAL)
    The noise comes and goes but is somewhat annoying since it is pre existing, the driver's side half shaft slides in and out a smidge but the pass side is solid, so maybe bearings?

11. Apr 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    mh.meier

mh.meier Not PB Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    The Doctor
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Truck Norris Silver Unicornimus Prime
    2008 Tacoma DCLB 4X4 SR5 -Pelfreybilt Steel front single-hoop bumper (12+ conversion) -Baja Designs Squadrons -Baja Designs S8 20” -KM FABRICATION custom 1/4" steel bumper mounts -Warn ZEON Platinum 12,000lb Winch -Pelfreybilt Rear HI-Clearance bumper with swingout -NATO can carrier -Folding Aluminum table -RIGID SRQ reverse lights -Full Pelfreybilt skids -ARB air compressor under the hood -Custom CO2 Setup -KMFAB Custom ext brake line brackets -KMFAB Bedrack -Camping Lab MANSION RTT -ARB Touring 6' Awning -Litra Torch camping light -CTC Bed Cap, color matched -Toyota OEM bedmat -KMFAB bed reinforcement -Pelfreybilt Sliders -BAMF Bed corner tie down brackets -Custom chopped front fenders -OTTRAW switches -King Ext Travel front CO's -King 700# coils -Total Chaos Uni-ball UCA's -Sway-A-Way 2.0 rear ext travel shocks -OME Dakar HD pack with extra AAL -35" Falken MT01s -16" SCS SR8's in Black -Kustom 54 Retrofits -Smoked Tails -Airflow Snorkel -Cobra 29LX CB with PA and the fixins' -KMFAB CB antenna mounts -Pioneer in dash DVD with Nav -Weathertech mats
    Just installed my 3" with billy 5100's up front at .85 with OME 885 coils, Camburg ball joint UCA's, and removed the sway bar with AllPro standards in the back with billy 5100 RCD's on a concrete slab in my buddies yard and no vibration at all after I got it aligned. Of course I looked up the toruqe for every single bolt and nut I took off. =]

12. Apr 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    That's the diff bearing. Same exact symptoms in mine. I managed to get mine replaced under warranty but your results may vary. I had ALOT of help.

13. Apr 10, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
  14. Apr 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    codyb1

codyb1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCLB
    Toytec Boss Coilovers set at 3" with AAL's,Toytec Boss Rear shocks, LR UCA's, Swaybar Relocate, Diff Drop, 265/70 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 17" KMC wheels, K&N, Limo Tint, 4.7" Shorty Antenna
    If it does go away when you switch it to 4X4 High check this thread out.. A lot of us were getting the vib or growling around 30 to 40 mph and instantly went away when switched to 4X4. THERE IS A FIX!!! East Coast Gear Supply has made a bushing to replace the needle bearing. I just installed the bushing 2 weeks ago and I have no vibes at all.
    Here is the thread
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...nt-differential-bearing-vibration-thread.html

Here is the video from Chase at East Coast Gear Supply
    http://youtu.be/x4qw5GtfoRc

15. Apr 10, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    Arctic Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denali Park, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    anyone know of a good shop in Boise?

16. Apr 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    Arctic Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denali Park, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Took it into the shop and verdict was- the left front hub was engaged even when it said free. replace the hubs-Warn- and viola! So we'll see, Thanks for the input guys

Products Discussed in

To Top