1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just Visiting

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Styx2015, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Jan 14, 2017 at 4:23 AM
    Styx2015

Styx2015 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2008 White Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road
    Hey everyone!

Some friends and I will be visiting Oahu coming up and the end of January and early February. We plan on renting a couple of Tacomas from folks on the island through a website called Turo (www.turo.com) which is like a local Airbnb for renting vehicles. We chose renting from local individuals instead of a rental car company because of the vast amount of limitations that the rental car companies put on customers, especially with taking rentals off road whatsoever.

My question is in regards to good places to explore. Obviously I have no intention of seriously wheeling these vehicles whatsoever out of respect for the owners. Also, the trucks are mostly stock. However, I would like to get off road a little bit to explore the island and maybe get out to some hiking trailheads, beach access, or to explore some easy local trails. I also do not want to encroach on the privacy of the locals as well considering that we are tourists.

Just looking for a little guidance for our trip. If anyone can recommend places that we should check out or offer any advice at all, it would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jan 14, 2017 at 11:42 PM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    Sadly, there aren't many areas where you can go driving. There is Kaena point, but you need to get a permit and gate lock codes. I'm not sure if you can do it for a rental vehicle or have the owner get the vehicle permitted before you get here and then have the owner get the codes for you. There is also a scenic hike out to the point, it is a sea bird nesting sanctuary, and sometimes seals can be spotted lying out in the sun.

Only other 4x4 drive to a trailhead I know of is Poamomo trail, which requires a permit and multiple gate codes. The hike and view is definitely worth it.

Google those and check out the Honolulu Department of Land and Natural Resources website for more info.

kakwvu and seoulja99 like this.
  3. Jan 15, 2017 at 2:57 AM
    Styx2015

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    @Vigo, thank you very much for the information! I'll dig a little deeper into your suggestions and see what I can find.

When you say gate codes, do you mean private land? Or are the codes something that is supplied from the state government organization upon permit receipt?

Vigo likes this.
  4. Jan 15, 2017 at 3:48 PM
    Vanguard

Vanguard No can remember!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooks
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Extended C/O's non resi, OME 60091/Dakar Leaf Pack, All Pro U-bolt Flip, Timberens, 17" SR8's, 285/70/17 Duratracs, AFE Stage II Intake, Magnaflow Cat back w/Resonator, BHLM, Grillcraft, 15/5 Tint, All-Pro HD Sliders @10 degr, OEM Roof Racks, TRD Skid Plate, Wet Okole's, Scan guage II, Optima Yellow
    It's regulated by the DLNR. You need to register your vehicle and then get the access code. Not really a visiting kind of thing.

5. Jan 15, 2017 at 5:33 PM
    Uncle Creepy

Uncle Creepy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Jalopy
  6. Jan 15, 2017 at 5:57 PM
    Vanguard

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooks
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Extended C/O's non resi, OME 60091/Dakar Leaf Pack, All Pro U-bolt Flip, Timberens, 17" SR8's, 285/70/17 Duratracs, AFE Stage II Intake, Magnaflow Cat back w/Resonator, BHLM, Grillcraft, 15/5 Tint, All-Pro HD Sliders @10 degr, OEM Roof Racks, TRD Skid Plate, Wet Okole's, Scan guage II, Optima Yellow
    Never been there but live right down the street. How's the terrain?

7. Jan 16, 2017 at 6:19 PM
    Styx2015

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    I won't be using a "rental" vehicle though. I will be renting through Turo which means a local resident is renting their vehicle out to me.

8. Jan 16, 2017 at 7:24 PM
    Vanguard

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooks
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah but I doubt you'll be able to register that vehicle in your name with the DLNR and then get it in time if you were. It's not a visitor or day pass registration. It's an annual registration. Feel free to try though.

9. Jan 16, 2017 at 8:46 PM
    huli467

huli467 Turning Octopus

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4
    The world is big...and I want to have a good look at it...before it gets dark - John Muir
    Ask the person you're renting from if they have the Kaena Point access permit? They'll need to add you on as a driver but it's doable. The permit is tied to the vehicle and the registered owner or additional drivers.

seoulja99 likes this.
  10. Jan 17, 2017 at 12:01 AM
    Styx2015

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    Great to know as well! I didn't realize it was an annual registration. My apologies.

Thanks for the tip! I'll get in touch with the owner!

Products Discussed in

To Top