1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just want a sub

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by NumNutz, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Sep 27, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz [OP] One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    I just want a sub. A little more bass. I think one 10" would be fine.

I want to do it as simple and as little wiring as possible. Would a powered sub be the easiest way to go since the amp is like in the box? I also want it to be easily removed incase I need my rear space for something.

So what is the simplest and cleanest way to go?

2. Sep 27, 2009 at 10:03 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    That sounds like me a couple of months ago. See link below for how I added a 10 incher in my access cab. To remove just unhook the speaker wires and a clip I have installed (doesn't show on pics) to hold it to the LATCH anchor point on top. To get into the storage bins just undo the clip and slide the box to either side.

This isn't a disturb-the-neighbors sub but gives good solid bass extention. And if you want to bother the neighbors you could quickly swap in a ported one that will do the job.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/48261-09-access-cab-sub-install.html

3. Sep 27, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz [OP] One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    That looks great man. I really don't even want it to be that difficult to wire and remove. If I got a powered sub would it be a simpler install?

4. Oct 1, 2009 at 9:53 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I would think the only wiring you could do without by going with a powered sub would be the speaker wire going from the amp to the box in a normal sub and amp setup. You'd still need your RCA's and your power, ground, and remote turn on. Naturally with a powered setup you won't have to worry about where to mount an amp.

I'm currently contemplating what I want to do with my access cab as well. When I go the Taco I told myself I'm done with the fancy head units and subs and whatnot and while I'm perfectly fine with the stock head unit the lack of ANY bass is driving me nuts now. I still have a JL 12" and Alpine amp from my old car, but the ported box is HUGE and in no way will remotely fit back there. I do have a smaller box but even that is larger than I want to go. I'd like to go with some sort of shallow mount 10" similiar to one the above poster did in his link. I don't want to get rid of my seats though since while no one sits back there it's still good for laying suitcases and stuff across. Thinking about just sitting it on the floor and having the amp either on the back of the box or under the passenger seat.

If you're looking for something you can easily completely remove, I'd imagine a seperate setup would be better. With the powered setup, you'd have to remove all the wires I mentioned above to take it out, whereas if you did something like mounting your amp away under the seat you'd just have to pull the speaker wire from the sub box to remove it. And naturally I'd guess you'd want to pull a fuse or disconnect the power so you're not sending power to an amp that's not hooked up to anything. I'm no audio expert though so just take this for what it's worth haha.

5. Oct 1, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, JT, I was going to stay stock this time, too. Hah! The lack of bass and the failing radio with a weak amp cured me of that.

You are correct that a removing a powered sub box is like removing the sub AND amp of a separates setup. Lots of wires, power ground, amp turn on (I suppose you could gang these into a molex plug.) and RCA cable. Mine can be removed in about 30 seconds, just pull the speaker wires and release the lanyard clip. Doesn't get easier than that.

Pioneer also makes a smaller rectangular box for 8" shallows that might work easier for you keeping the seats.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130UDSW8U/Pioneer-Premier-UD-SW8U.html?tp=127

6. Oct 1, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yea I was checking out the 8" as well. I have to do some measuring to see what I want to do. Worse comes to worse I'll just get a 10" and just sit it on the floor behind the passenger seat. Although if an 8" would fit nicely between the seats I may do something like that. You happy with that 10" Pioneer so far?

7. Oct 1, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, I really like it. It won't shake the neighbors windows but gives good solid bass. I even like some music that I used to avoid just to hear the bass. And I have a friend who has some ported subs he wants me to demo. That'll be a snap to just swap the speaker wires to the new box.

8. Oct 1, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Infiniti basslink works great off the factory head unit, and sounds excellent once it's set up. I have always shyed away from powered subs due to their lack of punch, and bottom end. I've very impressed with the basslink tough. I hooked the RCA inputs up to the rear speaker outs (not a typo..), and I installed FMOD inline crossovers, as the sub was too boomy, (excessive upper bass).
    This setup rocks, anything from Gordon Lightfoot to AC DC. Highly recommend!

9. Oct 1, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yea I'm not looking to shake the neighbors windows. My other setup didn't do that. I could care less about how loud it is outside I just want it to sound good inside. I've heard nothing but good things about those Pioneers. Only other option I looked at were the Alpine Type-S. They look to be pretty small as well.

Where do you have that Infiniti at isthatahemi?

10. Oct 1, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    More wiring and work to install initially-but less hassle with no need to remove:

Maybe look at getting a flex/boost amp for the door speakers and some better component speakers will improve the response to the level you want it??

11. Oct 2, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    I have it behind the driver's seat, sub firing up, passive radiator firing down. One side benefit of this setup, is you can turn down the bass on the head unit, giving clearer, undistorted mids & high frequencies. It comes with a wired remote level control.

Products Discussed in

To Top