1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K&N 77 Series 2011 TRD Sport (Smell)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WingsTacoma, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sep 14, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    WingsTacoma

WingsTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    K&N 77 series intake Flowmaster American thunder exhaust system Extang trifecta bed cover Stampede hood and window deflectors
    Hey guys. I'm not really new to the forum but this is my first post. Frequent reader!

I have scoured the search portion of this forum looking for a post similar to this and could not find anything. If this has already been discussed I do apologize.

Last week I installed the K&N 77 series air intake on my truck. This is my first Tacoma and this is also my first K&N system :0. I have gone through the installation several times to make sure I have everything tight and nothing seems to be out of place.

I am now noticing a slight odor in the cab of my truck that I've never smelled before. The best way I can describe this odor is a slight chemical smell.... Is this normal for new K&N intake systems? Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Does the filter have a "break in" period?

It doesn't smell like anything I've ever encountered under the hood before. It's not antifreeze or burnt rubber or gas or oil or mold...its just a slight chemical odor and I can't put my finger on it.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I have also just ordered the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system for my truck. It should be here next week! I am afraid if I keep reading this forum I am going to be spending LOTS more money on my tacoma.

2. Sep 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    BaLLZaCH

BaLLZaCH Active Member

Member:

Are you smelling (for whatever reason) the filter oil ? I used to have a can of spray-on k&n air filter oil and it did have a chemicall'y smell, kinda like medical tape or something lol ,,,,

And "77 series" whatttttt, did it take k&n 77 tries to make something that would fit haha sorry...

As far as the Flowmaster you ordered, "I" like them. 3-Chamber delta-flow but still sounds good. (But I also like the poppy-ting sound of Flowmasters, and not the "fart-pipe" sound of whoof pipes)

But as far as installation, I hope you have a lot of patience and are a good mechanical type person; Yes it's "bolt on" but it takes time and effort to get it "on" and to get it STRAIGHT ! Then, those POS clamps will snap if cranked down to semi-tight, so I hope you can weld. It was easier to weld the joints than to put the system on (But I was laying in the driveway) - I used the clamps to 'hold it straight' then welded around.

At first I was pissed cause' I didn't have my old 2 chamber sound, then I realized that it does have a good sound, just not inside the truck at certain speeds - It's that delta flow crap, still sounds good outside (Yup they did that on purpose ... lol) - the American Thunder has a deeper tone but is not as loud or tingy or rumbly.

With your intake, consider getting a dry-flow filter replacement, or synthetic no-oil type. You would eliminate the medical smell of the oil, and personally I just dont trust the oiled on a new vehicle because you can see straight through it (Not trying to start another debate, just' saying ...) - Otherwise I wouldnt worry about it AS LONG AS you are SURE there are no vacuum leaks and the mass air flow sensor is sealed around the hole (It should have a gasket of some kind that was NOT on the stock tube)...

Good luck , you will love your taco !

3. Sep 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Ardo K

Ardo K Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ardo
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Cold Air Intake
    Hi everyone, i got a question regarding for the differential fluid. Ive been reading up on this site, i have a 2011 Tacoma Trd Sport 4x4 PreRunner 4.0L i called the dealer to find out what kind of differential fluid it takes i have 36K miles it has limited slip (shows Auto LSD) on the dash. Does anyone know what kind of of OEM differential fluid it take ive been getting GL5/75W-85. Also is Redline Differential fluid any good?

If anyone can help i'd really appreciate it ,
    Thanks

4. Sep 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    WingsTacoma

WingsTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    K&N 77 series intake Flowmaster American thunder exhaust system Extang trifecta bed cover Stampede hood and window deflectors
    I sprayed the oil and cleaner from the recharger kit that I bought with my intake and it doesn’t have a smell that I can detect.
    I just went outside and pulled the filter off my truck and it smells a little bit like gasoline….not the chemical smell I’m picking up in the truck. So I guess that rules out the K&N filter as the culprit…
    Thank you for the tip on the on the mass flow sensor gasket. I did think it was odd that the kit did not come with any kind of gasket for that fitting. I put the mass flow sensor in the tube and found that the fit was really tight so I didn’t give it a second thought.
    I appreciate the warning on the flowmaster installation as well. I will also attempting this installation in my driveway. I am going to attempt to install the exhaust kit as “bolt on” at first. If I am not happy with it I will have to find someone with a welder 
    Thanks for the quick reply!!

5. Sep 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    K&N's are junk. Rip it out and go back to OEM.

To Top