1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K&N Filter

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Kevinztaco, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Dec 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    Kevinztaco

Kevinztaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    none yet
    Hello Guys,

I bought a 2013 Taco Double Cab v6 and I'm in the process of trying to find a simple way to make her breath easier. I'm not planning on Off roading or pressing the pedal to the metal on this taco :(. K&N claims this filter increases HP. Would you be kind to share your experiences with it, the pros/cons of this filter, and whether or not it is worth the money? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

[​IMG]

2. Dec 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It does not increase HP.
    It does not filter as well as the stock filter.
    It will cause elevated silica levels in the crankcase oil and cause cylinder scoring.
    It will cause more frequent fouling of the MAF due to oily dirt passing through the mesh requiring more frequent cleaning of the MAF (something that needs to be done on a stock system, pretty much, never).

straightawaykid likes this.
  3. Dec 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    Schuylerville

Schuylerville Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Up state NY
    Vehicle:
    Red 2006 SR5 V6 tacoma
    K&N cool air intake, Flowmaster American thunder exhaust
    Dont mess up instal. will cause leaks and other problems, other than that. mine has been very while and it breaths alot better!

4. Dec 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    And you scientifically measured this in what way?

The stock intake can flow more air than any normally-aspirated engine smaller than 8 litres can use.

5. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    My opinions it does breath better but it has a cost , dirty maf (almost guaranteed), I would look for other options.

6. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    It's not that it won't flow better on a flowbench, but it comes down to the point of "how much do you need?"

If the engine can only draw 600cfm at 6000rpm, and the stock intake can flow 900cfm, there's no gains in replacing it with an intake that can flow 1200cfm.

The most restrictive point in the intake is the throttle body.

7. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    JTacoma

JTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7 4X4 5 speed
    Icon Stage 2 Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, 33x12.50x15 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP on American Racing AR201 15x10 wheels, differential drop, carrier bearing drop, BPV bracket, Leer canopy with Rhino Racks
    k&n claims that the maf being contaminated by their oil is a myth. I don't know it i believe it or not but here is their statement on maf sensors.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

As for gains in hp, I wouldn't expect much.

8. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    smurf taco

smurf taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hobe Sound, Fl
    Vehicle:
    speedway blue 09 prerunner sport 2wd
    brite ass led headlights and fogs, fuel hostage wheels, mellow tone dual exhaust, black westin bull bar, go rhino nerf bars, toyota neoprene black and blue seat covers, image dynamics door speakers all around, Bilsteins 5100s all around set at 0 with maxtrac spindles and eibach coils and total chaos UCAs with OCtaco brakelines all around and all pro expo leafs in the rear running 295/70/17 cooper ST Maxx, cobra cb radio w/ 3ft fire stik, bed lights, jvc double din head unit, AC in cab mod, AFE CAI...more mods to come
    I would just go with a TRD CAI. Or if you want the look of your filter showing then go with an AFE filter and not K&N. AFE makes the TRD filter. I have an AFE CAI and I love it. It doesn't give me much better mpg but my truck sounds awesome at higher rpm's and it "feels" quicker at higher rpm's too but idk the facts on that.

9. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Ya... If the filter is over oiled, the oil will coat the MAF.
    Once that happens, the fine dust that the filter allows to pass through will stick to it and foul the MAF.

K&N filters were designed for offroad racing. They were not designed to support an engine that is intended to run 300,000 miles and 15 years. They were designed to keep damaging debris out of an engine that is going to be rebuilt every 500-1000 miles.

We've got two issues here. The filter media itself, and the CAI.
    The biggest problem with the system, IMHO, is the media.
    The CAI, installed properly, will flow well, though it will tend to draw more hot air from under the hood, where the stock intake draws from the fender, which gets it's air from in front of the radiator... it's already a cold air intake.

Benefits? Pretty much zilch.
    The OEM filter is less than $20, change it once a year and even that's overkill (it's due every 60k, but offroad driving will foul it more quickly).

Products Discussed in

To Top