1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K&n vs paper.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Nmwill, Jul 11, 2013.

?

K&n or paper

Poll closed Aug 10, 2013.
  1. K&n

34 vote(s)
    31.5%
  2. Paper.

58 vote(s)
    53.7%
  3. Other

16 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Jul 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    I had KN's on a couple vehicles as stock replacements. Pain in the ass. No more for me.

2. Jul 13, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    This, I bought a used trd filter for $25 and never need to buy another air filter ever again. I've put maybe 15,000 miles through it and there's no dirt past the filter and CEL's.

3. Jul 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    Watari06V6

Watari06V6 Faster than a speeding ticket

Member:
    Wounded Knee
    Vehicle:
    TRD-V6-SR5-06
    meh i just want a new and fresh oem paper filters in there everytime i do my oil change- no probs ever ;)

4. Jul 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    Flymaker

Flymaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Double Cab
    Bone Stock
    I bought a K&N for mine....But after reading some about the filtration ..I when and Got a NAPA Gold...The K&N is just sitting in the Garage...I didn't notice any big difference in anything while running it.....and just don't want to risk harming the engine.....Paper all the way for me now.......

5. Jul 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Service interval is 30K.

Here's a study that doesn't find K&N very effective at removing dirt.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking-the-k-n-myth-why-oem-is-better-t180100.html

Here is the study that says intakes doesn't increase mpg, using precise tests loops.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

After reading that I think 60K is fine, I'm at 40K on my current with excellent mpg.

6. Jul 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    if you're dead set on aftermarket (which isn't always better) go with AFE pro dry. you can wash it in dish soap and return it to completely clean in one night (mostly drying, of course).

nothing, and I mean, nothing filters better than stock paper. toyota was dead set on a long lasting, reliable filter. not a performance oriented one

7. Jul 17, 2013 at 1:58 AM
    Vegas Tacoma

Vegas Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner sr5(RIP) 2018 Focus Hatchback
    A friend of mine took his intake off of his fj cruser because he had a cel for a vacuumed leak at the intake, he was using a k&n filter and the whole inside of his intake was full of an oily sludge due the his k&n

He had just cleaned and lightly re-oiled the filter a month prior letting it sit over night for the oil to soak into filter,his cel light came on a month after he cleaned it

8. Jul 17, 2013 at 3:21 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Like every other performance Mod, if you "improve" flow going in, you have to improve going out to see a benefit. I understand our motors are so tuned that opening our exhaust drops our torque #'s and moves HP to stratosphere RPMs quickly (note I'm talkin non supercharged). Cool intakes make a difference (and nice cool fall mornings) but on the taco you have to go extreme to find cooler air (URD intake is a good example)
    With all the racers over 30+ years using K&N I'm sure there was a benefit. But has paper nearly caught up in that time? Maybe so. Filtration is as much installation quality as it is about filter quality. They both can get too dirty, bent or distorted, and in gauze filters , under or over oiled.

They both are seen off road with prefilter foamies running on megabuck motors.

Ill still go gauze and oil. Saves me a part to purchase and gives me a super cool K&N sticker that wrench heads nod at.

9. Jul 17, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I've got a K&N in mine. I've had one in almost every vehicle that I have ever owned. Yeah I bought into the hype. That said, with this truck I notice little to no difference in MPG or power over the stock OEM filter. I check it each time I change the oil and it still looks clean. The decision is up to you. If you don't drive on dirt roads all the time and in harsh environments then it won't hurt with a after market filter. If you do.... stick with OEM.

My truck rarely sees much dirt so I'm good

Engine compartment at 30000 miles

DSC_0069_ff485ff4b9eb40a165b2f185b02c69bd1e31fb56.jpg

DSC_0066_7e241c642644d6285826b95a2e672714e923072c.jpg

10. Jul 17, 2013 at 6:28 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Have been using a K&N in several vehicles and have NEVER noticed oily residue/sludge, etc. Also live in the South and spend a bit of time on dirt roads, too. Just for kicks, I did a little looking and was going to clean the intake and all behind the filter to see if all the bat shit craziness was true, and you know something? There was no oil/dirt/sludge/whatever on the charcoal filter and beyond. So just what does that say? Does it make a performance difference? Nope (have an '08 v6 and average 22 mpg), but the fact that with proper care it will last the life of the vehicle. If someone can't correctly oil a filter, then they shouldn't be attemtping it in the first place. Honestly, how hard is it to wash and re-oil properly?

The bigger question should be: if this filter let so much stuff in and was so bad, then out of the millions sold, why aren't we seeing claims of resulting engine damage/destruction? Inquiring minds want to know...

11. Jul 17, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD

Napa Gold is the "best" filtration with minimal restriction. If you off road where there is alot of dust especially. There are countless threads where folks were using Cotton/synthetic element filters that just did not filter all that well and ended up with a thin coating of fine dust all through their intake tract.
    Basically pulling fine dirt into the engine.

http://www.napafilters.com/do-it-yourself/goldnapafilter/

12. Jul 17, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    13TRDsport

13TRDsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    13 Access cab TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525XL, K&N air filter, TRD Shift knob. Bilstein 5100's w\Eibach springs.

Right on. I have used K&N filters for years and never had any sludge or dirt behind the filter and I live on dirt roads. Bashing the product is pointless.

13. Jul 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    TailDrag

TailDrag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bashing? People are posting their experience and the negative "hype busting" opinions were supported with test data and linked within the post.

If you like K&N and you use it, then cool. If not, who cares? Do you own the company? If not, relax.

I used a K&N for 3 vehicles and never had any benefit due to the filter. Does that mean K&N sucks? No. It means K&N is the same as every other filter I've used, but more expensive up front and more effort to maintain, so not worth it to me.

Am I a basher? Or can you just not handle opposing opinion?

14. Jul 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I don't like your opinion! You're wrong :p

15. Jul 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    I, for one, have no problems with opposing opinions... With that said, and with all of the supposed badness that is "associated" with K&N air filters, why aren't we seeing a lot of engine damage/destruction claims associated with said product? A little more effort? Somewhat, but not much. To each their own, but to say that the product is destructive as some claim is pointless due to the millions sold and will continue to be sold. Are the performance gains snake oil? Who knows, but the reason I brought it was cost effectiveness/life of filter. I am not complaining about my truck's performance - I am satisfied getting 22 mpg. A little extra work cleaning never hurt anyone...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  16. Jul 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    TailDrag

Member:
    :cheers: :D

17. Jul 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
  18. Jul 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    TailDrag

Member:

Don't know, though that isn't my field of interest or study. But from what people have posted in this thread, dirt leaks behind their air filter isn't going to blow the motor after 2 days, but damage still occurs (this is true regardless of filter type or brand). For that matter, I'll suggest that people using K&N filters, or even people who change their own filters, are more in tuned to their vehicle than most and if they notice a negative impact from their filter (regardless of brand) then they will address it immediately and negate any long term effects that might have resulted.

So, because filter X hasn't had a bunch of horror stories of major mechanical disasters directly linked to the filter, doesn't mean it isn't without major faults. It's job is to filter, and if it fails at that then that is a major failure, to me. If it harms other vehicle systems too, then that's a major failure on the owners part.

Performance gains, in my experience, aren't snake oil. But I think companies advertise that DROP IN FILTER X will increase mileage by 20%, +12 HP, etc,. and that isn't the case, for certain. So ironic as it is, people saying I have brand X and I still get the same MPG - it shouldn't come as a surprise.

In any event, a filter is designed to catch airborne contaminants. If they don't, then they should be replaced. K&N or NAPA, who cares.

Just odd the brand sensitivity from people who think because they own the product that it must be superior because it's what THEY use, and damn all else and others who don't have the identical experience they have.

19. Jul 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    jp05

jp05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    TN 931
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR, DCSB, 4x4, Leer Top.
    I have 120,000 miles on my 05 v6. and with keeping everything stock. I'm getting 21MPG. so for MPG I would way stock paper works best.

20. Jul 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    :cheers: I don't have that brand sensitivity, but I will say that I have been using them for years and never experienced any of the problems people claim exist. If one is better, I will use it. I have had the same filter on my truck for over five years now and no problems or anything that is associated. I do, however, take claims and all with a grain of salt and prefer to believe things when see them first hand rather than read them over wherever. Personally, I like the K&N and as I said, I got it for ease of use and cost effectiveness. So what if it is more involved than just dropping a brand new one - it's not rocket science. And I do believe that you are correct, I am more in tuned to whats going on with my truck.

As far as the system destructiveness goes, I haven't ever experienced the like, or anyone that I know of, either. Honestly, I would be interested in seeing what system failures can really be linked to the use of K&N.

Products Discussed in

To Top