1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KacosTaco Build

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by kacoTaco, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Oct 9, 2019 at 4:50 PM
    kacoTaco

kacoTaco [OP] IG: @kacostaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    Wheels/Tires/Spacers, Pro Grille, Full LED light Swap, Raptor Grille Lights, Flowmaster 44 Muffler.
  2. Oct 9, 2019 at 4:59 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Wheels/Tires/Spacers, Pro Grille, Full LED light Swap, Raptor Grille Lights, Flowmaster 44 Muffler.
    The day is finally here! I have been debating on whether or not to start a build thread but decided, why not? So here it goes!

This thread is for my 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB that I purchased back in 2015 as part of the OG run of the new body style and am glad I waited for the 3rd gen. I have been slowly but surely adding upgrades over the years and just recently got the urge to share the progress and future mods. New to TW and build threads, so be patient with me as I add and share my step-by-step progress photos and documentation with you all.

Cheers

3. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:14 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
  4. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:23 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    IMG_3032.jpg

This is my current setup as of 10/8/19. Here are the current mods that I have made so far:
    • Window Tint
    • Flowmaster 44 Muffler Swap
    • TRD PRO 4Runner Wheels
    • BFG KO2s @ 265/70/17
    • TRD PRO Grille
    • Raptor LED Grille Lights by Runnin4Tacos
    • Interior LED Light Swap by JDM ASTAR
    • Exterior LED Light Swap by JDM ASTAR: Hi-beams, Lo-beams, Turn Signals, Fogs
    • Wheel Spacers by Spidertrax: 1 1/4in (Black)
    • APS Truck Armor Side Steps
    • Center Console Insert by JDMCAR

I will be going through each of those mods and sharing photos and thoughts on them as the thread evolves.

jenk likes this.
  5. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
  6. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:34 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    IMG_0859.jpg

Believe it or not, somehow I lost the "New Car" pictures from when I purchased it. This is the most "Stock" pic of it that I have so this will have to do unless I uncover more photos somewhere. I got my windows tinted and new wheels and tires within a couple weeks so this was the first trail exploration with the homies.

7. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:40 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
  8. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:53 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

TRD PRO 4Runner Wheels
    BFG KO2s @ 265/70/17

These were the real first upgrade to the truck. I had went over hundreds of wheel combo options and I still like the simplicity of the TRD 4Runner wheels and some nice BFG KO2s. This is still my favorite wheel/tire setup. I currently run them at 34PSI all the way around, but still searching for the sweet spot. Let me know if you have any recommendations on best PSI for the "C" KO2s.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Rockoma5 likes this.
  9. Oct 9, 2019 at 6:10 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
  10. Oct 9, 2019 at 6:16 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0758 2.jpg

I have to say that the upgrade to the PRO Grille was so needed. It totally changes the appearance of the truck in my opinion. Not to mention I got it for a screamin' deal. The truck only suffered minor injuries during the course of this install...just a tab or two, nothing major. It hurt at first but forgot all about the broken tabs when I saw the final product.

11. Oct 11, 2019 at 7:10 PM
    Rockoma5

Rockoma5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Louis
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport Lifted
    i read bfg recommends 41. I run 41. I like it

12. Oct 11, 2019 at 8:09 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    @Rockoma5 Thanks for the rec, I'll have to air up a bit and test that out. For some reason I'm starting to like it at like 33-34, feels like a softer ride overall.

13. Oct 12, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    Rockoma5

Rockoma5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Louis
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport Lifted
    and you very well may.....I thought it was too "squishy" for me and liked it more firm. @kacoTaco

kacoTaco[OP] likes this.
  14. Oct 12, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Anti-Lander from way back…

Member:
    Yep…
    Vehicle:
    Rock Bangen', Desert Tamin', Gold Findin' Machine!
    I like your Build Thread format!

kacoTaco[OP] likes this.
  15. Oct 12, 2019 at 10:54 AM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Totally, it definitely is. Im about to get new suspension too so I’m sure I’ll be adjusting for a bit.

16. Oct 12, 2019 at 10:57 AM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, @Hobbs ! Stoked to hear that. I’m a designer and this is my first time doing anything car related so I was nervous my format might be too much haha. Appreciate the upvote, I’ll keep it goin.

Hobbs[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 12, 2019 at 2:53 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
  18. Oct 12, 2019 at 3:14 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Shoutout to @runnin4tacos for these awesome LED Grille Lights. They came in perfect condition, all work flawlessly and the install was simple. I know this is mod that has been done for a while, but if anyone is looking to add some of these bad boys to their PRO Grille, here is are the links:

Shop
    https://www.runnin4tacos.com/collec.../2016-2019-tacoma-trd-pro-raptor-lights-3-kit

Install Video:
    https://youtu.be/YRbzCK66oko

For the placement of the lights, I opted to not modify the grille itself and use three lights across the length of the grille. Although I like the lights installed on the top row the most, this is my second favorite and I actually think it creates a wider stance appearance (personal opinion).

IMG_3223.jpg

As you can see in this image, there is no modification done to the grille or the lights, just simply clip them in.

IMG_3143.jpg

In terms of wiring, I really wanted these lights to run all the time – whether its on with the DRLs, headlights, parking lights, etc. So, in order to fo that, it requires a little DIY electrical work that @runnin4tacos walks you through in the install video linked at the beginning of this post.

To accomplish this look, it required removing the 'add a fuse' from the harness, connecting to two 16g wires – 1 to splice into the factory headlight wire in the truck and the other into the DRL wire (pictured below).

IMG_3156.jpg

Here is the final product. Not the ideal photo I'd like to post, but will update this install post with better photos soon. My recommendation, these grille lights look super clean with a full LED bulb swap for your headlights and fogs.

061FAEE3-59A6-4104-B8E7-31675A8CD4DC.jpg

Attached Files:

Sn4rlax likes this.
  19. Oct 12, 2019 at 3:34 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
  20. Oct 12, 2019 at 3:54 PM
    kacoTaco

Member:
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    From the day that I purchased the truck, I regretted not having side-steps or running boards. Not only am I not the tallest person myself, but my parents, friends, co-workers, all made it clear I needed to add steps. After looking around, I wasn't too stoked on the tube-and-step style that toyota was selling, nor did I like the standard tube-step or flat board. I really wanted something that matched the overall aggressive look of the truck. So I found these.

APS Armor Side-steps
    https://realtruck.com/p/aps-truck-armor-side-steps/v/toyota/tacoma/2016/

Not only are these way cheaper than the other options, I think they look much better in my opinion. To me they look like they came off of a raptor. They are also super light weight, Wide step surface and have a bottom bar that protects your rocker panels. The product arrived in perfect condition, powdercoat looks great agains my paint and TRD PRO Wheels (Matte Black). Time will tell if they were a good buy, see if they hold up to trails and beach driving.

IMG_3130.jpg

The one complaint I have about this product is that the install instructions were absolutely terrible. It definitely took some patience to figure out which hardware went where, but once you get one, its a breeze to install. Was done in 20 minutes total with both sides. Here is a peak at what the bolt on locations and brackets look like.

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

Lastly, they passed the real test. It is much more pleasant for myself and my passengers to get in and out of the truck. Happy with them so far.

IMG_3132.jpg

Here is the final product installed.

IMG_3028.jpg

Attached Files:

Shiro213 and Rockoma5 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top