1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kaena point closed

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Dr. Emmett Brown, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Feb 16, 2020 at 7:00 AM
    Dr. Emmett Brown

Dr. Emmett Brown [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anyone work for DLNR and can explain to me why that place is closed every time we have a holiday weekend, "coincidentally"?

2. Feb 16, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    Pj Benn

Pj Benn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner
    Was just about to head down. No update on closure since the 12th. I would think should be dry by now. Junk

3. Feb 16, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    Pj Benn

Pj Benn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner
    Did you go down and combo didn’t work?

4. Feb 16, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    Dr. Emmett Brown

Member:
    If the website says closed, I think it stays closed till it doesn't have the notification on the website. Actually I think it says OPEN when they reopen it.

Been closed since Monday. DLNR is a joke.

5. Feb 17, 2020 at 4:07 AM
    DJSPEC

DJSPEC @GuardianAdventures

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Kaimuki,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 & 2014 TRD SPORT DCSB & 2016 TRD-OR AC 4x4
    Viper Alarm NorthStar 31 Battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage OEM roof racks, step sides 35W 6000k HID Fog Lights 35% tint Front windows 5% tint rear windows 2 Sets of Rigid Industries D2 above the valance Duallys on Famous Fabrication's Hood Hinge Brackets Rigid Industries SR2 10" in HoodScoop with C4 Fabrications Hood Scoop Bracket Flowmasters Super 44 series 9942446) Firestone Destination MT/2 295/70R17 Method 702 17” 0 offset Wet Okole Seat Covers OEM Tow Hitch Plastidip Front Valance FoglightMod(Fuel Pump Relay Version) Matt Gecko Truck Bed LED Kit and Sliding Window Security Bar Snugtop Rebel King 2.5 adjustable front and rear Dakar HD Leaf Springs Icon tubular UCA Dirt Kings LCA
    It’s closed because it’s muddy and it’s not an off-road recreational site. They are trying to limit erosion and the further deterioration of the access roads. It’s unfortunate because people are prone to abuse and misuse which leads them to close it until it dries out. That unfortunately means it’s also closed to all people even if they are just there to fish or soak in the nature.

6. Feb 17, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    Dr. Emmett Brown

Member:
    Well hopefully they take Kaena point of the endangered list soon and then we can all be one big happy family. Lol. DLNR...

DJSPEC[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 18, 2020 at 2:33 AM
    DJSPEC

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Kaimuki,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Viper Alarm NorthStar 31 Battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage OEM roof racks, step sides 35W 6000k HID Fog Lights 35% tint Front windows 5% tint rear windows 2 Sets of Rigid Industries D2 above the valance Duallys on Famous Fabrication's Hood Hinge Brackets Rigid Industries SR2 10" in HoodScoop with C4 Fabrications Hood Scoop Bracket Flowmasters Super 44 series 9942446) Firestone Destination MT/2 295/70R17 Method 702 17” 0 offset Wet Okole Seat Covers OEM Tow Hitch Plastidip Front Valance FoglightMod(Fuel Pump Relay Version) Matt Gecko Truck Bed LED Kit and Sliding Window Security Bar Snugtop Rebel King 2.5 adjustable front and rear Dakar HD Leaf Springs Icon tubular UCA Dirt Kings LCA
    i wish! But that’s like hoping that people would follow the rules and not go mud bogging there. Or asking the sun to not rise! If people would be a bit more responsible and just “care” more about their actions and how their actions may still cause unintended consequences, the world as a whole, would be in a much better place. But I’m pretty old fashion with everything, 95% of the time, every time.

Yapretzel and gotblika like this.
  8. Feb 18, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    100% agree! It's "Department of Land and Natural Resources" they are there to protect our Aina.
    It's not their job to be considerate to public access.
    Unfortunately most beaches and places to wheel have been closed because people don't know how to act. (Yes it maybe a select minority of the wheelers out there that act a fool) But it affects us all.
    Yes it's crappy that if you want to fish there you need to hump you gear in.
    But please don't be mad at the "Protectors" of the area.
    Be mad at the "Fools" who made it necessary to have such restrictions.
    On the bright side. The State does hear our concerns. Helemano is slated to have a rec. park for out door activities. Dirt biking, wheeling, hiking, hunting etc..... it's not fully outlined in stone yet as to what they are going to plan for. Hopefully they can design an area that can meet the needs of our community. (As long as they don't get these crazy protestors to be offended about what they are palnning.)

Yapretzel, In&out and DJSPEC[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Feb 18, 2020 at 1:36 PM
    Dtoy

Dtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2005 & 1999 Tacoma TRD offroad 4X4’s
    This & that small kine
    I agree there’s a lot of idiots using Kaena as a wheeling park but when State/ DLNR made it so we had to get permit/ sticker to get combo in access gate I thought it was a good thing an still(do)but they use to patrol the areas an check permits so to keep people aware of there presence but now I hardly see any DLNR patrolling anymore i think thats partly why people are wheeling.Enforcement is essential to much idiots just my 2 cents.We see more Monk seal patrol/protectors lol.

Pj Benn, DJSPEC and toku58 like this.
  10. Feb 18, 2020 at 2:11 PM
    Dr. Emmett Brown

Member:
    This is exactly what gets me most upset. Don't throw a lock on it, barely ever patrol it, and then have to shut it down for weeks at a time.

Dtoy[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 18, 2020 at 2:13 PM
    Dr. Emmett Brown

Member:
    Lol I see what you're saying but protecting 3 miles of coastline is a weak attempt at salvaging thousands of acres lost to overdevelopment and ranch land/kiawe trees. I wish I grew up 20 years earlier when Alan Davis was still the spot to go to. I only get to hear stories about how awesome it was, now. Oh well.

Dtoy likes this.
  12. Feb 18, 2020 at 2:24 PM
    Bigtrees

Bigtrees Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2002 Reg Cab, 2007 DCSB
    Toku58 nailed it. Anyone see Kaena 20-30 years ago?... it was hammered and abused by knuckleheads not respecting the aina. Now it’s back to a functional native seabird nesting sanctuary and closed/permitted for those exact reasons noted above. If you do any research, DLNR has had a huge impact bringing abused and neglected areas around the island back to functional native habitats for both plants and wildlife. I’ve been involved with many of those projects and it’s very cool to see the progress over the years. AD’s was also hammered for years and now it’s closed due to idiots. The only reason there’s laws and rules in place is due to people being stupid, not the states fault. But sure, blame DLNR if it makes you feel better.

gotblika and DJSPEC like this.
  13. Feb 18, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    Dtoy

Dtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2005 & 1999 Tacoma TRD offroad 4X4’s
    This & that small kine
    To bad,if people followed rules & others do there jobs life would be more peaceful I’m a dreamer.Im old enough to remember driving in an fishing in A/D and driving around Kaena from Waianae to Mokuleia an back:)

gotblika, seoulja99 and DJSPEC like this.
  14. Feb 19, 2020 at 12:03 AM
    DJSPEC

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Kaimuki,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    If we(everyone) didn’t at least TRY to preserve it, then we really would have no where to go to get out to nature and safely enjoy quite time. Better to try to preserve what’s left, than do nothing at all.
    I would go to kaena every weekend to get away from the city.
    Personally, I wouldn’t mind the access road being less bumpy, that would mean less wear and tear on my truck. The only way to prevent further degradation of the road, is to stop people from driving on it while it’s wet. Even if you’re not mud bogging, driving on it when it’s wet, is still beating up the road. And the funds don’t exists to gravel the whole thing. So when it’s wet, they close it until it dries out.

The world is full of instant satisfaction and waiting is becoming a dying virtue. We’re used to having things right at our finger tips. Messaging people instantly, google searching everything, being able to watch your show right on demand. “Working at it” or “fixing it” is becoming a thing of the past. And who still has their paper dictionary? If you don’t like your phone, get a new one now, if you don’t like your truck, get a new one tomorrow, if you don’t like your girlfriend, dump her and get a new one, if you don’t like your kids, give um up for adoption. No ways!!! Value is increased when virtues are learned. And character is built through patience, if you define it as such.
    I think it’s good to have to wait for them to open the gate so that the road will last longer for the future of kaena, instead of just the here and now.
    The wet winter season is now, but summer will come, the sh*t will dry out, and things will get better. And Milky Way season is during summer. 6E153443-8ED8-4843-97E0-20013D587566.jpg

15. Feb 19, 2020 at 12:41 AM
    Dr. Emmett Brown

Member:
    This got out of hand quickly. In conclusion. DLNR is funny. The land is good. Mud boggers are bad. Kaena is still closed.

Thread pau. 'Aue.

DJSPEC and Dtoy like this.
  16. Feb 19, 2020 at 11:15 AM
    DJSPEC

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Kaimuki,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    all true indeed :cheers:
    :D:D

17. Feb 19, 2020 at 2:36 PM
    Waited many moons

Waited many moons Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2014 Alaska Edition
    My parents drove our 69 Chevy station wagon around the point from Waianae side, to Mokuleia. Road wasn't wet, so it was like driving on a dirt road back then.

18. Feb 21, 2020 at 8:20 PM
    Waited many moons

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2014 Alaska Edition
    20200221_180549.jpg Two wheel drive vehicles, like this one are allowed to get a sticker, sucking up DLNR resources. Then when it rains they want a tow out. Do they give stickers for VW Beatles and Mini Coopers also? The map, sticker and Admin fees gotta run maybe fifteen dollar. Ween out the none users and that will then create more dollars for DLNR.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    DJSPEC likes this.
  19. Feb 23, 2020 at 12:57 AM
    Waited many moons

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2014 Alaska Edition
    20200222_082230.jpg Kaena point open today, great weather and clean water. Lots of tourist walking through. My first time in since the New Year, by the looks of all the other trucks first for them also. Nice to see everyone enjoying the land and ocean. Pods of Whales, splashing throughout the day. I didn't catch any fish to take home, but missed fishing there.

DJSPEC, Humble Soul and seoulja99 like this.
  20. Feb 29, 2020 at 9:03 PM
    keonigt

keonigt Da Nurse

Member:
    Ewa Beach, HI
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD sport
    Is Kaena point still closed? Or did it stay open?

Products Discussed in

To Top