1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kayak Rack

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by stucksucksnayota, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Apr 6, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Hey guys I am starting to kayak and I came up with the great idea to build a rack from my truck to carry it on. My first thought was to build one that sits in my bed ( but extends up over the cab so I can carry the kayak and still have room in my bed for gear) and put some eyelets on it at the bottom so I can run a strap from my tie downs (side to side) and hold it down. But then I got to thinking well that may not be enough to hold it down. So if anyone has a rack hopefully you can post some pics of it. My other thought was to build a rack and buy some clamps and put in on top of my cab. But Im still just drawing it up and kicking around ideas and I know everyone on here always has great ideas so let me know

Thanks

2. Apr 7, 2009 at 5:18 AM
    stucksucksnayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Ya thats very close but I was in a hurry and posted this before I did a search. So I searched and found exactly what i needed but thanks

3. Apr 7, 2009 at 7:26 AM
    E-squared

E-squared Member

Member:
    Midd, VT
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    K+N CAI, Magnaflow CAT's and Muffler, OBX Headers, Bilstein 5100's (set @ 2.5"), Complete Energy Suspension- Hyper Flex Bushings, Toytech AAL, A.R.E. MX Cap, Thule Rack, Sunroof, PIAA 540 x-white lamps behind Grillcraft MX Grille, PIAA 540 -Plasma Ion lamps on Westin safari bar, debadged, and a PIAA x-white dome light - Whoo-hoo!
    Hey Now - Depending on the kayak (whitewater/touring) be sure properly space the bars so that they match up (as close as possible) with your boats internal bulkheads. Otherwise, when tightening down the straps your hull could potentially deform as you fold your boat over the bars. Before I had a cap, I used saw horses placed in the bed with ratchet straps- Ghetto set up but it did the trick.

4. Apr 7, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    stucksucksnayota

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Alright thanks for the advice Ill check that out before I start welding.

And the saw horses thing would be funny to see but hey you gotta do what you gotta do

Products Discussed in

To Top