1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KB Voodoo and Truxedo Pro X15

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by drakenclimber, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Oct 22, 2018 at 2:03 PM
    drakenclimber

drakenclimber [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB Off Road
    I recently purchased a 2018 Tacoma (love it) primarily for hauling my mountain bikes and camping. I have a couple Yakima HighRoad roof-top bike racks and I really like how securely they haul my bike.

Thanks to excellent discussions on TacomaWorld, I also picked up some KB Voodoo Hi Rise Crossbars (love them as well) and a Truxedo Pro X15 Tonneau (thank you ebay 15% off!).

How are you guys combining the Truxedo and the Voodoo bars? I have hunted through the pages (and pages!) of discussion, but I haven't seen an in-depth installation recommend.

When I have them both mounted, the Truxedo rails move too far inboard and there isn't enough room for the cover to close between the rails. (The Pro X15 obviously works fine without the Voodoo stands, of course.) I really don't want to cut the Truxedo rails, but I guess I will if it's required.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Oct 22, 2018 at 8:56 PM
    drakenclimber

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB Off Road
    Bah, nevermind.

I mentally transposed Truxedo and Truxport. Looks like other have had success with the Truxport, but the Lo Pro and Pro X15 won't work due to their rail design.

Looks like the Pro X15 is going on Craigslist, and I'll pick up a Truxport.

Sorry for wasting your time :)

3. Oct 22, 2018 at 9:06 PM
    msegal55

msegal55 Insta: babe.the.blue.ox

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    18 Cavalry Blue Trd Pro
    I have a Truxedo Pro X15 and a KB Voodoo bedrack. You just need to cut some aluminum on the rail of the tonneau cover.

IMG_0830.jpg IMG_0833.jpg

4. Oct 23, 2018 at 7:15 AM
    drakenclimber

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB Off Road
    Thanks!!! Cutting the aluminum definitely looked possible, but I wasn't thrilled about being a test pilot. Sorry to be a nuisance, but do you have any pictures of the rail cuts themselves?

I'll probably give that a shot then. I was dreading dealing with Craigslist :)

5. Mar 27, 2019 at 7:08 PM
    jwhoop

jwhoop New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Sport
    Picking this thread back up as I've been doing a lot of research on the topic lately. I'm more than willing to modify the rails to work with the KB Voodoo racks if it meant I could use a low profile style tonneau cover. @msegal55 would you be able to share details on your modifications? I'm considering the Lo Pro and think the same changes would apply.

6. Mar 27, 2019 at 8:50 PM
    msegal55

msegal55 Insta: babe.the.blue.ox

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    18 Cavalry Blue Trd Pro
    I don't have any photos of the process but it's very straight forward. Line up the rack on there with the rails of the tonneau cover. Once you see if you will understand what you need to cut. Put marks with a sharpie, and take a saw to the aluminum of the rail that you need to cut. Kinda hard to explain, but once you do it, you will know.

7. Mar 28, 2019 at 7:04 AM
    drakenclimber

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB Off Road
    I have been running this combo for ~6 months and am really happy with it. I still need to redo the weatherstripping on the tonneau rails, but that hasn't been a priority for me here in Colorado.

Here are a few pictures I took along the way:

EastVan and tacothyme like this.
  8. Mar 28, 2019 at 7:53 AM
    jwhoop

jwhoop New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Sport
    Awesome! Your rig is looking great, thank you @drakenclimber. I too am in Colorado and am also not concerned with the cover being completely waterproof, it would just be nice to keep most of the elements out of the bed when it's full of gear. How far up are you able to roll the cover with the rails in place? Another advantage I'm hoping for versus a trifold/hard cover is being able to open and access the bed at least partially with loaded racks.

You're probably already aware, but I found some truxedo specific replacement weather seal here that I am planning to use to fill gaps or replace post rail modification.

9. Mar 28, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    drakenclimber

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB Off Road
    Thanks!

I can carefully roll it up under the first (farthest back) Voodoo railing, and I can slide it under the second (farthest forward) railing if need be. It's honestly pretty easy to fully get the tonneau out of the way if you want full access to the bed.

10. Jan 20, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    btrumpatori

btrumpatori Well-Known Member

Member:
    Any further input on this combo? I've got a Pro x15 incoming and was considering a KB rack or crossbars for bike holding. I'd rather not modify the rails if possible. I don't particularly care about the bed being totally waterproof. @KB Voodoo - should I be looking at a different tonneau?

11. Jan 20, 2020 at 7:02 PM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    I've never personally worked with that cover, but where there's a will, there's a way.

This is our tonneau fitment guide: https://www.max-modular.com/tonneau-cover-fitment-guide

12. Jun 10, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    DanishTaco

DanishTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD-Offroad
    Is that the loroll version or the Pro x15? Not sure if there is really a differance?

13. Feb 27, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    drakenclimber

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB Off Road
    It's the Pro x15.

All in all, the setup worked well for me in the 2.5 years I used it. It wasn't perfectly water-tight, but that really isn't a concern in Colorado.

14. Mar 7, 2021 at 10:55 PM
    reneb1220

reneb1220 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rene
    Glendora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport Cement
    Went ahead and bookmarked this since I will hopefully be doing this soon!

Products Discussed in

To Top