1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KBB value on a 2nd gen

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by deeznutz, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Oct 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    deeznutz

deeznutz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DC LB 4x4
    Been tossing around the idea of selling the truck as I hardly drive it, since I have another vehicle.

Looked up the value on KBB and it shows that the Trade In Value that dealers would pay is $27.6K and Private Party is $30.5K. This is for a 09' SR5 V6 4x4 automatic, non TRD, DC LB in Excellent condition vehicle with only 13.8K miles.

My question is, does this seem high to anyone since you can almost get a new 2011 for the private party pice. I know used Tacomas are going for a premium but man, that's a good price if it's true.

2. Oct 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    Yota Newb

Yota Newb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-Lug Regular Cab 2.7L 5 Speed
    Hard to say. This is a buyer's market for sure, KBB may say 30K but if all the market will support is 25K, then you have to sell short or wait for the market to rebound which I'm sure you already know. You loose like 70% value of a new vehicle in the first 3 or 4 years of ownership. Not to bring you down, but I wouldn't count on getting KBB private party price right now....trade in maybe, but look out for "bait and switch" type tactics, etc...

3. Oct 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    nada>kbb

and doesnt seem high to me, tacos have the best resale value.

4. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    rhavin42

rhavin42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SPORT 4x4
    KBB waaaaaay overvalues the tacomas for some reason.

I used edmunds.com and found they were pretty close to what I paid for my used one

5. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2006 Infiniti M35x
    The fact that you have reservations about the value tells you that it's overpriced right there.

Look at it this way: would you, knowing about Tacomas, obviously liking them, etc. pay someone $30K for a used, non-TRD truck? If not, why would your average buyer? Assuming the "average" buyer would at least check the book value of whatever vehicle they were shopping for.

I agree, edmunds.com is pretty accurate. There's no way you're going to get that for the truck. The comment the person made about the "market support" was dead on.

6. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    that's why i bought new. all the 09's were going for nearly the same price as the 10's, i couldn't justify buying used

7. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Herbie Hancock
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Mostly stock for now, I have added a cb radio, various cheap mods and I plan on adding aftermarket wheels and other items in the future.
    If I were you I would try to post it at KBB price (which is a little high) and put OBO on the ad. This will make the buyer think he is getting a deal if you go down a grand or so.

But in this kind of market it may be hard to sell a truck unless it's priced well, you do have another car so you can wait to sell it.
    Just make sure you clean it up real good.

8. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr) Hose clamp securing tailgate
    My opinion reflects the common one in this thread - that is a bit high. $30.5K is more than I paid for my '11 TRD Sport that I just bought this week [for perspective]

9. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen, good driver mod.
    KBB is overpriced on the tacos

as said before, I used edmunds and it was pretty accurate as to what I got and paid

10. Oct 21, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    Stay away from KBB, you will not get an accurate value on any vehicle. Check out NADA, Autotrader, or Edmonds. No way on the 27K trade. More like 21-23K if your lucky and not getting taken on the front end.

11. Oct 21, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    The only time you will get anything close to the trade in or over from a dealer is when you are buying a new vehical from that same dealer. Its a way for them to entice you to take a new car off the lot. Used cars are where dealers make there money. If they can sell a "certified" used car its huge profit for a dealership. They mark them up high because there is a huge mark up on them so they can "cut you a great deal" and still make a huge profit.

12. Oct 21, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    motoretro

motoretro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg, Cab, 2.7 Four Cyl. manual trans
    Tried to sell my mint 09 Tacoma for over a year at lower than NADA, Edmunds & KBB and no dice. Dealers were actually offering me more to trade in. I've had better luck w/ GM trucks as far as resale.

Motoretro

13. Oct 21, 2010 at 9:52 PM
    jareebz

jareebz Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    Icon, Camburg, BFG
    This is what I just got off NADA for my 2010. I had a dealer offer me $19,000 a couple weeks ago when I was thinking about trading mine in for a GTI. I just laughed at them and left.

Rough Trade-In/ Average Trade/ Clean Trade/ Retail
    $21,875 $23,150 $24,175 $27,675*

To Top