1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KDMAX Performance Tune by @PapaRee and @TWtaco

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by PapaRee, Mar 22, 2021.

?

Which throttle setting do you like best?

1. Regular Aggressive throttle

31.7%
  2. LT-Light Tip in

32.9%
  3. SLT-Super Light Tip in

30.5%
  4. WifeTip-Stock tip in

4.9%
  1. Jul 19, 2021 at 6:35 AM
    MGMSangTaco

MGMSangTaco Colorado Toyota Tuning

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    Only positives offroad IMO. Stock it hesitates and hiccups too much, and with the tune that’s gone and the pedal feel is way more linear. I personally like to be able to feather the throttle how I want which I found LT to be perfect for, but one guy who wheels super hard likes the SLT.

rimfire7 likes this.
  2. Jul 19, 2021 at 6:37 AM
    rimfire7

rimfire7 I'm here for the tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    beth
    Vehicle:
    2021 army green taco
    Toytec lift, old man emu springs, Victory 4x4 front bumper and skids, light bar
    Yeah, how do I know which setting is best for me? How do I figure that out? I don't wheel all the time but I noticed on the dunes the shifting is well .....shifty. I hope the tune will improve that. But what about for daily driving? What is the aggressive setting?

MGMSangTaco likes this.
  3. Jul 19, 2021 at 6:41 AM
    MGMSangTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    Best way is to test drive it and find out. We pretty much all offer free retunes for throttle adjustments, so if you decide then and there or down the road that you need something else we can help. Shifting is definitely WAY better.

Personally I start pretty much everyone off with LT/middle of the road throttle so people have a good baseline to work with (though other tuners have different methods). 99% of people feel it’s perfect for both daily driving and offroad, have had a couple that say the want SLT or the L. Just depends on your preferences and driving style.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    rimfire7 likes this.
  4. Jul 19, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    bkress37

bkress37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Yeah I know this has been asked 1 million times.. still no KDMAXX for 3rd gen 4 bangers?

5. Jul 19, 2021 at 7:58 AM
    rimfire7

rimfire7 I'm here for the tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    beth
    Vehicle:
    2021 army green taco
    Toytec lift, old man emu springs, Victory 4x4 front bumper and skids, light bar
    OK, thanks. Middle of the road is a good place to start. I am getting it on a friday and the person will be around saturday if I need to change it. Otherwise, we don"t live near each other so I would want to have it set by saturday I would think.

MGMSangTaco likes this.
  6. Jul 19, 2021 at 8:43 AM
    InChrist

InChrist Sinner

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Kennywood's Backyard
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 SBDC
    Bone stock
    One day into the tune, 30 minute drive home was so much different. I got the aggressive with regular tune as I drive like it’s stolen normally and don’t want to spend extra on premium fuel for a daily driver-, so Allan (MasterYota or @xXgOdLyXjEwXx) suggested aggressive/regular

I left the truck home for the wife to drive today and give me her opinion as she has complained about the way it drove also. The only thing I will have to learn is local driving (block to block stop sign) it is a little jerky, so I will have to adjust my pedal manner. I haven’t driven on highway yet but in Pittsburgh there is an abundance of crazy hills,- I was able to blow up them no crazy shifting. Will give an update- once I have a good month of different driving/towing. I don’t do hard off-roading, occasional trails to fishing spot, hunting spots, camp. But the condition of most of the roads here in the burgh could qualify as such.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  7. Jul 19, 2021 at 11:10 AM
    Muajilong

Muajilong Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tacoma TRD Pro
    @PapaRee I plan to get slightly bigger tires (32in) and wonder if I should bump up to the 33in tune or stay at the 31in (stock). Is there any different between the tire settings for the tunes in terms of performance, I know it won't help the speedo. Thanks!

8. Jul 19, 2021 at 11:42 AM
    PapaRee

PapaRee [OP] And now I'll do what's best for me

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport DCSB- KDMax Tuned
    OVTune/VFtuner, Raceline Assault 18x9 -6 Offset wheels, Falken Wildpeak Atw3 33"-265/70/18 tires, GTS Dobinson's suspension lift 2.75", Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    You are good with what you have for 32” tires.

Muajilong likes this.
  9. Jul 20, 2021 at 8:03 AM
    ezatnova

ezatnova Artax

Member:
    West Chester, PA
    Vehicle:
    21 DC TRD OR - Voodoo
    Wildpeak 265/75/16, Headstrong Progressive AAL, 5100's w Emu 885s
    From a dig, in a straight line, without power braking? My truck doesn't even come close to breaking them loose in this scenario. Torqueless wonder of a motor. My 2nd gen would struggle on any morning dew road, and even in the wet I really have to struggle to get a TCS blink with this new truck. 265/75/16 Wildpeaks, FWIW

10. Jul 20, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    wahoobie

wahoobie Taco Uno

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Suffolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB 4x4 SR5ish
    KDMAXed
    He's got an MT with KDMAX XT, I can chirp through 3rd in S-mode on my AT if I want to. What tune are you running?

11. Jul 20, 2021 at 8:59 AM
    MGMSangTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    Any WY folk in here want a tune? A bit last second but doing a small event Thursday on the way to pick up my GFC!

64250BD6-A427-4C81-8F5C-F1322306A1F7.jpg

TWTaco, Kerbouchard! and Phich like this.
  12. Jul 20, 2021 at 11:46 AM
    johnnyroid

johnnyroid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vine Grove (Fort Knox) Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma Sport TRD
    Not in Wyoming, but am binging "Longmire" (never watched it before), and absolutely falling in love with that view.

MGMSangTaco likes this.
  13. Jul 20, 2021 at 6:10 PM
    Shades_Of_Red

Shades_Of_Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium Cavalry Blue
    A few.
  14. Jul 20, 2021 at 7:21 PM
    Boltripper

Boltripper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Hoover, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road Access Cab A/T in MGM
    Khaya Camper with Custom Mods - BP-51's, 4.88's, 33's', Dissent Offroad Front and Rear with Bud Built on the sides...
    Birmingham, Alabama - Overland Tailor Tuning

Had a 2017 Tacoma in this evening for the KDMax Performance Tune.
    Contact us for custom Calibrations, KDMax or OVtune

Calibrating 2nd Gen Tacoma, 3rd Gen Tacoma, 5.7L V8 Tundra and others.
    www.overlandtailor.com

[​IMG]

MGMSangTaco and PapaRee [OP] like this.
  15. Jul 21, 2021 at 10:56 AM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    OVTune/VFtuner, Raceline Assault 18x9 -6 Offset wheels, Falken Wildpeak Atw3 33"-265/70/18 tires, GTS Dobinson's suspension lift 2.75", Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    With all the recent software improvements and recent Pro Tuner upgrades, Dave and I have decided to increase the price for the tune files going forward.
    We are also making all new VFC tune files from scratch with the new software to make sure there are no problems with flashing all trucks with our KDMax tune.

From the first post:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pricing
    -For people who already bought the Kruiser, the KDMAX is $100 US per TunePack
    -For people who have not bought the Kruiser, the KDMax is $150 US per TunePack
    -For those wanting us to tune their trucks, contact the person in your area for pricing.

16. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    wiljayhi

wiljayhi Sunshine capital of Canada

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Winnipeg, MB, EL: 784 ft
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 DCSB TRD OR KDM6, SLT, custom
    Kreg, any reason we would need/want to change file formats and reflash with .vfc if we’re already KDMaxxed.vft and all is well?

Crasyrapy and Kerbouchard! like this.
  17. Jul 21, 2021 at 12:30 PM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    All of the files that were sold (vft and vfc) were made on the correct software. You should be fine.
    But if you have vft and want vfc for the new software, just PM me.
    I am currently working on making all new files using the most up to date software. Just to be sure that they flash well with the new software/flasher.
    I should have all of them complete in a week.

Inferno__Taco likes this.
  18. Jul 21, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    wiljayhi

wiljayhi Sunshine capital of Canada

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Winnipeg, MB, EL: 784 ft
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 DCSB TRD OR KDM6, SLT, custom
    Thank you.

19. Jul 22, 2021 at 5:58 AM
    A$ap

A$ap New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Off Road
    Interested!

20. Jul 22, 2021 at 6:35 AM
    shotgunbilly420

shotgunbilly420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Montesano, Washington elv. 66ft
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd Tacoma offraod AT Inferno
    285/75/16 Km3, 3in lift ,Valley Runner tune, K&N air intake, MRBP performance XP exhaust, ,16" method nv305 wheels, AFE throttle body spacer, RIPP performance coils, OV Tune program, JTL 3.0 Oil catch can
    There gonna be any improvements to kdmax @PapaRee

Products Discussed in

To Top