1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KDMax-Pro Tuning--NOW YotaWerx Tuning

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by PapaRee, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Oct 11, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    Chunk

Chunk I smell Ice Cream!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aiken, SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR
    Baby Ruth
    … For a second gen!

2. Oct 11, 2021 at 8:56 PM
    TacoManOne

TacoManOne KDMax-Pro Authorized Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Liberty Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue TRDOR DCLB Premium JBL
    KDMax Pro latest version, Meso stuff, JBL upgrades
  3. Oct 11, 2021 at 9:58 PM
    District Dog

District Dog DOGS LOVE TRUCKS

Member:
    Washington, D.C.
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off Road
    This is my review of the KDMAX/LT tune installed on my 2017 Tacoma Off Road, with a K&N Performance Air Intake System and Flowmaster FlowFx Extreme Cat-Back exhaust. The tune was configured for 87 octane gas. My Tacoma is NOT a daily driver and includes about 400 LBS of added net weight modifications including a hidden winch, cab rack, bed rack, lighting, 270 awning, water tank and shower attachments. It’s running Toyo Open Country LT265/75R16 M/T tires with a 2” lift. Wind resistance at speed is a factor. Here’s a pic of my truck:

3FFCBA6F-6CCD-4BC2-AC16-8321338D328F.jpg

The tune was installed by a local tuner (a real nice guy), identified by KDMAX for the DC/VA/MD region. The cost of the tune was $450, which included an add-on for higher voltage battery charging by the local tuner. I tested the tune on local roads for about 200 miles, then on a 1,500 mile trip on the I-95 from DC to SC and back to DC, during October 2021 using 87, 89 and 93 octane gas. The roads were mostly level, with only slight grade changes on hills and bridges.

The first video is an example of the truck merging on the I-95 in NC from a rest stop. I was on the accelerator, about half depressed with slight increasing pressure during throttling, and a slight let-up as it passed 75 MPH (after which the transmission shifted to a higher gear). Watch how the truck holds the gear through 4,000 RPM during constant acceleration and approaches red-line. This is common behavior by the KDMAX/LT tune, holding gears and providing much better acceleration performance.

The second video is the truck cruising on the I-95 in NC and SC between 70 and 80 MPH. I’m using manual mode in drive (no cruise control), cruise control in drive, then synchronized shifting in 5th gear and manual mode (no cruise control). The video shows the RPMs and speed, with the shift behavior of the truck after the KDMAX/LT tune install. Watch how the truck still has issues while using cruise control, specifically by shifting down to 4th gear, then up to 5th, then 6th, then back to 5th in a narrow speed range with only minor changes in road grade elevation.

So, let’s wrap this up. Do I like the KDMAX/LT tune? YES, I do. It offers significant improvement in throttle control and shift points. But, is it a perfect fix? NO, it’s not. Especially using cruise control, for my truck and set-up package. I found it worked much better using synchronized shifting in manual mode (no cruise control) between 4th and 5th gears to set acceleration and power ranges while cruising. When in drive, and by simply tipping to synchronized mode between 60 and 75 MPH, the truck dropped to 4th gear and provided plenty of power for passing. Please remember, my results may differ from others, because of my modifications.

4. Oct 11, 2021 at 10:15 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee [OP] Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport, Tuned, BHLM OEM LEDs
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    Your Cruise Control should be better than that. You need a reset and re-flash. I know mine (nearly same setup) will shift back to 5th or 6th after an incline and hold 6th on a flat road.
    Im glad you are liking it, but it is better and I think you need a reset and re flash.
    Thanks for the feedback and review. Reach out to your tuner and have him contact me if he needs instructions or a custom tune file.

5. Oct 11, 2021 at 11:11 PM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    This tune is flat awesome. I had it installed on Ginger a few months ago and I'm in love with my truck now. Its just soooo fun to drive after the tune. Thanks for creating such awesomeness!20200305_165037.jpg

6. Oct 12, 2021 at 4:36 AM
    AbnMP13

AbnMP13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shelby
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Crew Long Bed
    Well you are in MISSISSIPPI! Right @playdixie ?

7. Oct 12, 2021 at 5:39 AM
    chuymoreno

chuymoreno Well-Known Member

Member:
    El Paso, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    I have been running the SLT for ~500 miles and I really enjoy it.
    I was wondering if driving with the ECT on is the same as if I was driving with the LT tune?

PapaRee[OP] and TacoManOne like this.
  8. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:23 AM
    Taco_mike73

Taco_mike73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Lomax tonneau cover, oem bed lights, AJT Design chrome delete, black out badges & tailgate letters, AVS hood deflector & vent visors, Solkie tech hood supports, interior LED lights, Tufskinz mud guards, RedArc TowPro Liberty, bed mat, kicker speaker upgrade, Hikari ultra H11 low beams, Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in yellow, Meso customs total taillight stage 1. Coming soon: Compact powered sub install Future mods planned: bigger tires (265/75/16) BILLSTIEN 5100 lift
    Ok there is so much here to actually read. I have some interest in the tunes since before buying my truck and hearing about the OV tunes. My old Jeep Liberty CRD lived most of its life with the Green Diesel engineering ECO performance tune so tuning I've done before.

For my SR5 v6 4x4 with stock everything but 265/75R16 Cooper discoverer AT tires What tune version would I see any benefits in driving and MPG from? I use my truck as a daily driver for a commute under 10 miles. I don't go off road much and if I do it not anything rough. I tow a pop up camper with it when I go on trips. I'd like to stay with 87 fuel too. I might lift in the future but it will likely be something moderate like 5100's on clip 3 if I do it

I see there is someone in Ellicott City, Baltimore area about an hour from me who does the tunes. I'm just trying to figure out what I can expect for the $ out of getting this done.

9. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:54 AM
    TifosiTuning

TifosiTuning KDMax Authorized Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    South Bend, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 DC MGM TRD PRO
    KDMaxx tune, many interior mods, Wildpeaks A/T3W 265 75 R16’s,
    This concerns me. Is there actually a need to re-flash occasionally? Can the truck “lose” the tune?

10. Oct 12, 2021 at 8:11 AM
    DD21

DD21 Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRD OR DCLB
    Can’t say your experience will be the same as mine but I’m in a 2016 stock TRD OR with 265/70/17 KO2s. I was averaging 16.5mpg prior to the tune and now I’m @ 19mpg. Mostly a daily driver equal amounts of around town and hwy miles. Any off roading is light duty. Dave in Elliott City tuned my Tacoma, great guy, good communication and I couldn’t be happier with the tune (LT). It’s important to note, mpg’s wasn’t my motivation for the tune. For me it was about getting the shift points right so it held gear longer before shifting up/down and having a more responsive throttle input. Night and day difference from stock.

11. Oct 12, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    Taco_mike73

Taco_mike73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Lomax tonneau cover, oem bed lights, AJT Design chrome delete, black out badges & tailgate letters, AVS hood deflector & vent visors, Solkie tech hood supports, interior LED lights, Tufskinz mud guards, RedArc TowPro Liberty, bed mat, kicker speaker upgrade, Hikari ultra H11 low beams, Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in yellow, Meso customs total taillight stage 1. Coming soon: Compact powered sub install Future mods planned: bigger tires (265/75/16) BILLSTIEN 5100 lift
    A better throttle response and shifting better would be excellent. knowing that you did see some mileage improvement is nice.

PapaRee[OP] likes this.
  12. Oct 12, 2021 at 9:33 AM
    ry18Tac

ry18Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Quicksand Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Ovtuned

I’ve been curious about this also. I’ve seen reports of people saying that it can show old behaviors.

Shades_Of_Red likes this.
  13. Oct 12, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    PapaRee

PapaRee [OP] Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    I have the ECT set the same on all the tunes. ECT is Higher shift points than the Drive/S-Mode and a little more throttle than Drive/S-Mode.
    It is good for towing and performance.

oostroma and TWTaco like this.
  14. Oct 12, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    Puckbag34

Puckbag34 Well-Known Member

Member:
    In my experience since the tune, my mileage has gone down about 1mpg on average. I mostly take shorter trips, and I haven't seen much of a highway/freeway MPG drop.

I will admit that I'm accelerating somewhat faster than before. Before I just let it lug itself along since the lag then scream type shifting was too annoying. Now the truck still feels annoyingly underpowered, but at least now it feels like it's trying instead of just giving up (if that makes any sense). The new feeling is far more like what I would have expected from the factory. Regular gas, SLT version was installed (as info).

Pretty clear to me that Toyota programmed this, and put street tires on the OR simply to get it to test as having 2-3 mpg better than what it would have if they'd spec'd and tuned the truck the way it should have been in the first place. In my view the tune really doesn't impact the power of the truck at all, just the shift points and throttle position. Even with just those two things changed, it does make it worth the $'s IMO.

Tatertot and gunns4040 like this.
  15. Oct 12, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    PapaRee

PapaRee [OP] Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    The Toyota software uses an Algorithm to adjust/learn your driving. Over time it will change as it learns your habits. If you drive aggressive, the tune will adjust to be more aggressive. If you drive very slow and conservative, the tune will adjust to this. The changes are very subtle and happen over time. They are designed to "help" make the tune better.
    Almost all trucks that we tune do not need to be reset, and do great on the KDMax tune. But every once in a while, there is one that needs it.
    When we do a reset and reflash, it will start fresh with no learned values and takes a few tanks to get settled in. This process usually fixes the problem.

To answer your question, yes, the tune can change over time, but you cannot "lose" the tune. It should get better by learning your driving habits and adjusting to them.

16. Oct 12, 2021 at 4:55 PM
    gunns4040

gunns4040 New Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 TRD Off Road
    Just had the Regular fuel, LT tune installed today. Have over 100 miles on it now and have to say its less than impressive. Many of the reviews talk about this feeling like a new truck….. not my experience thus far.

Have a 1000 trip scheduled this weekend. Hope the tune “learns” my driving style. In the first 100 miles I have managed to drop 2mpg over stock.

shotgunbilly420 likes this.
  17. Oct 12, 2021 at 5:05 PM
    playdixie

playdixie Miss'ippi fella

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blazing Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    What's so funny is that today I was driving across US 72 in very northern Mississippi, and had 5G for a good part of the trip. Now keep in mind, it's mostly rural and with rolling hills (which the KDMax Tune handles those hill fairly well @PapaRee & @AbnMP13). But as soon as I get back into Desoto County, it goes back to 4G. Go figure.

PapaRee[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  18. Oct 13, 2021 at 5:56 AM
    ry18Tac

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    Ovtuned

I would think we they give full TCU access then it could solve these issues. Unless they have already given access. I haven’t paid much attention to updates lately.

19. Oct 13, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    PapaRee

PapaRee [OP] Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    No. Not yet.

20. Oct 13, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    ry18Tac

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    Ovtuned

I didn’t think so, looking forward to it though