1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KDMAX Performance Tune by @PapaRee and @TWtaco

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by PapaRee, Mar 22, 2021.

?

Which throttle setting do you like best?

1. Regular Aggressive throttle

32.6%
  2. LT-Light Tip in

34.0%
  3. SLT-Super Light Tip in

28.1%
  4. WifeTip-Stock tip in

5.3%
  1. Oct 12, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    PapaRee

PapaRee [OP] And now I'll do what's best for me

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport, KDMax Tune, BHLM OEM LEDs
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    I have the ECT set the same on all the tunes. ECT is Higher shift points than the Drive/S-Mode and a little more throttle than Drive/S-Mode.
    It is good for towing and performance.

TWTaco likes this.
  2. Oct 12, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    Puckbag34

Puckbag34 Member

Member:
    In my experience since the tune, my mileage has gone down about 1mpg on average. I mostly take shorter trips, and I haven't seen much of a highway/freeway MPG drop.

I will admit that I'm accelerating somewhat faster than before. Before I just let it lug itself along since the lag then scream type shifting was too annoying. Now the truck still feels annoyingly underpowered, but at least now it feels like it's trying instead of just giving up (if that makes any sense). The new feeling is far more like what I would have expected from the factory. Regular gas, SLT version was installed (as info).

Pretty clear to me that Toyota programmed this, and put street tires on the OR simply to get it to test as having 2-3 mpg better than what it would have if they'd spec'd and tuned the truck the way it should have been in the first place. In my view the tune really doesn't impact the power of the truck at all, just the shift points and throttle position. Even with just those two things changed, it does make it worth the $'s IMO.

gunns4040 likes this.
  3. Oct 12, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    The Toyota software uses an Algorithm to adjust/learn your driving. Over time it will change as it learns your habits. If you drive aggressive, the tune will adjust to be more aggressive. If you drive very slow and conservative, the tune will adjust to this. The changes are very subtle and happen over time. They are designed to "help" make the tune better.
    Almost all trucks that we tune do not need to be reset, and do great on the KDMax tune. But every once in a while, there is one that needs it.
    When we do a reset and reflash, it will start fresh with no learned values and takes a few tanks to get settled in. This process usually fixes the problem.

To answer your question, yes, the tune can change over time, but you cannot "lose" the tune. It should get better by learning your driving habits and adjusting to them.

4. Oct 12, 2021 at 4:55 PM
    gunns4040

gunns4040 New Member

Member:
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 TRD Off Road
    Just had the Regular fuel, LT tune installed today. Have over 100 miles on it now and have to say its less than impressive. Many of the reviews talk about this feeling like a new truck….. not my experience thus far.

Have a 1000 trip scheduled this weekend. Hope the tune “learns” my driving style. In the first 100 miles I have managed to drop 2mpg over stock.

shotgunbilly420 likes this.
  5. Oct 12, 2021 at 5:05 PM
    playdixie

playdixie Miss'ippi fella

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blazing Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    What's so funny is that today I was driving across US 72 in very northern Mississippi, and had 5G for a good part of the trip. Now keep in mind, it's mostly rural and with rolling hills (which the KDMax Tune handles those hill fairly well @PapaRee & @AbnMP13). But as soon as I get back into Desoto County, it goes back to 4G. Go figure.

PapaRee [OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 13, 2021 at 5:56 AM
    ry18Tac

ry18Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Quicksand Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Ovtuned

I would think we they give full TCU access then it could solve these issues. Unless they have already given access. I haven’t paid much attention to updates lately.

7. Oct 13, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    No. Not yet.

8. Oct 13, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    ry18Tac

ry18Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Quicksand Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Ovtuned

I didn’t think so, looking forward to it though

9. Oct 13, 2021 at 11:14 AM
    MiTacoTRD

MiTacoTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Post Falls, ID.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB
    I have KDMax tuned 87 wife tip stock OR size tires no regear and wondering if a reflash is needed when upgrading to an AGM batt?

10. Oct 13, 2021 at 11:29 AM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Only if you want the AGM battery settings. This will change your alternator output from 13.8 up to 14.2-14.7
    Problem is--If you ever trade it in and someone puts a regular battery in it, there could be a problem.

11. Oct 13, 2021 at 12:16 PM
    MiTacoTRD

MiTacoTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Post Falls, ID.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Will it negatively affect the AGM if I don’t reflash? What are the other benefits of reflashing to AGM besides the increase in alternator output? Thx.

12. Oct 13, 2021 at 12:23 PM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    There are people all over the world with AGM batteries on stock tunes.
    The only benefit is having the extra voltage to keep your AGM battery fully charged. Otherwise you have to use a charger to get it to 100%.

Personally, I do not have an AGM Battery. Dave @TWTaco does and a few other of our guys do. Maybe they can give you some more info.

MiTacoTRD likes this.
  13. Oct 13, 2021 at 12:39 PM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    You wont have any side affect not putting an AGM tune on your truck. You will just have to top off your battery with a battery tender for AGM battery about every 2 weeks. That is what i did to keep my AGM fully charged. If you go with the AGM tune your done no need to worry about charging every other week! But keep in mind with the AGM tune you cannot go back to a regular acid battery without changing the voltage back down! You must replace it with another AGM battery or bad things will happen!Also if you sell the vehicle make sure to either have it flashed back to stock charging or inform new owner of the AGM voltage output so they are aware! Your tuner will not charge you to change your setting back to stock voltage output.

tclavell, MiTacoTRD and PapaRee [OP] like this.
  14. Oct 13, 2021 at 1:32 PM
    baldbeardedtaco

baldbeardedtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    See this was what I thought from my previous questions or does this only apply for kd tune agm setting back to stock battery setting and not a kd tune w/ stock battery changed to agm setting? Tbh after getting in touch with the local “tuner” it put me off on the whole thing. The free for all/independent rules, prices, etc seems to be all over the place. There also seems to be a difference in tuner groups… as in the tw folks vs the fb crowd. While tw seem more friendly/helping type nature and fb being more cut throat (maybe not cut throat but in it solely for a profit rather than helping nature) if that makes sense.

so the tune has been shelved unless I cross paths with a regular tw member.

shotgunbilly420 likes this.
  15. Oct 13, 2021 at 1:51 PM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Are you looking to add the AGM settings or have them changed back to stock output? There is a charge to add AGM settings. No charge to re-flash to stock voltage output. What is your location?

16. Oct 13, 2021 at 2:00 PM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Dave, he is in Florida, near Donny in Pensacola.
    @baldbeardedtaco, Let us know how we can help and we will. PM me if you need to.

TWTaco likes this.
  17. Oct 13, 2021 at 3:26 PM
    chuymoreno

chuymoreno Well-Known Member

Member:
    El Paso, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    I know this a stupid question but do you know if the yellow top optima battery is AGM?
    I think I got my tune for AMG battery just want to make sure nothing bad happens

18. Oct 13, 2021 at 3:27 PM
    Otto Mation

Otto Mation Old on the Outside, Young on the Inside

Member:
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 2019 Limited
    Yes it is.

chuymoreno likes this.
  19. Oct 13, 2021 at 4:44 PM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member