1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KDMax-Pro Tuning--NOW YotaWerx Tuning

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by PapaRee, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Nov 27, 2021 at 1:27 PM
    Muajilong

Muajilong Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tacoma TRD Pro
    Awesome thanks for the suggestion!

I've been driving around with the KDM6 Reg aggressive tune and it seems like my truck isn't learning well. It was nice and responsive when I first got it, however after a couple tanks, things have changed. More pedal lag, and on the highway it seems to gear hunt between 4 and 5 and rarely shifts to 6. I'm sure the KDM6 tune is great, so not sure if my truck is just an off case. Will reach out to my tuner to probably just have the tune upgraded to the Pro. Seems like from reading a bunch of other experiences, the Pro tune fixes a lot of these issues. Lol plus after the Reg agressive tune I've dropped to like 12mpg city and 14 highway.

2. Nov 27, 2021 at 1:50 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee [OP] Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport, Tuned, BHLM OEM LEDs
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    Sounds like the KDMax-Pro upgrade is a great plan!

3. Nov 27, 2021 at 3:27 PM
    SpeySquatch

SpeySquatch Function over Form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    C4Fab LoPro, BAMF Sliders, Ext ADS 2.5’s, 4.88's, OVTune (OG to KDMax)
    @PapaRee

with the new KDMAX Pro tune I am seeing the TC unlock in 4th-6th depending on throttle, speed, load, etc. the 6.0 did not do this.

what changed and what is the purpose of this. Genuinely curious since I tow and TC matters with temps

4. Nov 27, 2021 at 3:38 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee [OP] Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    I did not change the TC settings. They are tried and good.
    I will PM you.

5. Nov 27, 2021 at 10:26 PM
    Muajilong

Muajilong Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tacoma TRD Pro
    Hey Kreg, I'm curious what other tweaks can be done at the time of tune, other than the turn signals and seatbelt chime?

6. Nov 27, 2021 at 10:48 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee [OP] Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    That’s it. Techstream is used to do it.
    You can use Techstream to program key fobs and TPMS sensors. It’s also good for diagnostics and monitoring. Techstream is the software that the dealership uses.

shotgunbilly420 likes this.
  7. Nov 28, 2021 at 8:22 AM
    NickJacq23

NickJacq23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee & Kentucky!

If you’ve been waiting for a discount & want to help out with a good cause, here’s you’re time!

December 1st - December 19th Big Dawgs Taco Tuning will be giving a $50 discount for ALL tunes, if you bring a new in box toy worth $20 or more! They’ll all be donated on December 20th to a local Toys for Tots chapter!

Also accepting toys from previous customers as well

7614FE16-3319-4DDF-91E6-D9C67D4BA5A9.jpg

rdpoe, InChrist, TWTaco and 1 other person like this.
  8. Nov 29, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    mdtwyne

mdtwyne New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Hot Wheels
    Pumped that y'all are bringing KDMAX to 5th gen 4runners!

I would love to hear more details on what the tune changes. There's been a lot of public discussion on what the OEM 2GR-FKS tune got wrong, and I'd love to understand that for the 1GR-FE as well. Matt from VFTune wrote a post on this topic several years ago. It focused more on forced induction, but discussed concepts applicable to NA as well. AFR targets? Ignition timing? Valve timing? Expanding the size (resolution) of tables?

Seeing a before/after dyno with premium fuel would be very persuasive.

I also read that vftuner 1.5 will support shift mapping for 4runner. Are y'all planning to incorporate that into the KDMAX Pro tune?

Thanks!

9. Nov 29, 2021 at 9:13 AM
    PapaRee

PapaRee [OP] Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    We are only able to tune 4runners that are supported in Vftuner. If the ECU ID is listed, then we can tune it.
    We use all available maps (which is limited on 4runners) in VFtuner and are planning to incorporate the shift mapping whenever it is available.
    Our tunes focus on Drivability. We try to make people enjoy driving their vehicle.
    So far the KDMax 4runner tune has been great! Hopefully some will do reviews on here.

Phich likes this.
  10. Nov 29, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    NickJacq23

NickJacq23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I reached out to @PapaRee and had him build a tune for my wifes 2019 4R. It makes it pretty smooth. I don't daily drive it so I can't comment on MPG but it feels better to drive. Can't wait until more maps are loaded.

11. Nov 29, 2021 at 10:22 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Sport M/T Barcelona Red
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Kreg was kind enough to build an 04B42 (2019 M/T TSB calibration) KDMax Pro file for me to review, so here are my initial thoughts (all butt-dyno, no logging ATM):

"I've only got about 150km total since flashing over the weekend, which IMO isn't enough to form a proper review. I can make a few observations at this point though:

1. Throttle response is quick and seems to be consistent across forward gears. Either you used Mat's single torque map EROM patch from 2.0, or you made all forward PTET maps the same or close to the same. Linearity seems good also, although it comes on quicker at very low accelerator angles than my own file did. I played around with the ATRTA map quite a bit, and settled on values that gave me a full range of accelerator input - regardless of speed. That's one thing about the stock setup that blows me away - how ugly that map is lol.
    2. Access to low end torque is significantly better than stock. Low speed acceleration in 2nd (parking lot maneuvers) and back road cruising in 6th at 50-60km/h are both good indicators as to what's happening down low, and so far all is well. Now, am I going to say this file is BETTER than SFOB? I can't at this point, as it's been too long since I ran that file to make a fair comparison;
    3. Fuel economy is pretty much identical during my daily (short) commute as it was on my own file;
    4. No ping/knock since flashing. I assumed this was an OL file, so I had no reservations about running it with mid grade in the tank (89 octane, E10-15).
    5. Idle sound/smoothness is improved.

That's all for now, but I can give you more feedback once I get a few tanks in if you like."

12. Nov 29, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    PapaRee

PapaRee [OP] Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Frank!
    Appreciate the feedback and review. Look forward to more info after some more miles/Kilometers.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    su.b.rat likes this.
  13. Nov 30, 2021 at 7:06 AM
    InternationalHarvester

InternationalHarvester VF Pro Licensed, KDMAX Authorized Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Sierra Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD DC LB OR 4x4
    KDMAX Tooooned
    SACRAMENTO AREA!!!

Come get your tune on at Maidu Regional Park in Roseville this Saturday December 4th with an authorized KDMAX vendor. Contact information can be found in the below flyer or feel free to DM here on TacomaWorld. Remember to RSVP by Friday the 3rd in order to secure your spot. All service details and appointments will be provided by phone, text or email

Generic Event Flyer.jpg

14. Nov 30, 2021 at 7:49 AM
    Jay745

Jay745 My racecar is a vw

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    21 Tacoma Off-road
    KdMax tuned, stock aside from cosmetics
    Sorry for the dumb questions in advance lol. I got my truck kdmax tuned in early Sept, was under the impression it was the 6.0 tune. Now all I'm seeing is the pro tune. Is there a way to tell which one I have? What are the differences between 6.0 and pro?

15. Nov 30, 2021 at 7:58 AM
    wiljayhi

wiljayhi “nobody’s business if I do…”

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Murky Water, MB, eh?
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 ORSB, Tuned
    Pro was not available until mid-November. You have 6.0.

Look at post #1 in this thread for the details.

TWTaco likes this.
  16. Nov 30, 2021 at 8:11 AM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Yes you were tuned to 6.0 if you were tuned in Sept. The new KDMAX-Pro tune was released on 11/14/21. Contact your tuner for upgrading.

17. Nov 30, 2021 at 8:30 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    Kreg was kind enough to modify the KD Pro tune for me and my MT truck, 04B14 2017 4x4. my history with tunes starts back in 2016 when no tunes were available, only Pedal Commanders/Sprint Boosters, and then OV came out with alpha files for the MTs. i've been on all of them since. i had KD earlier this year, and eventually ended on Coyoza because it was such a strong MT tune and i found KD6 a bit flat for the MTs. Coyoza has been hard to beat.

:::KD Pro for MT vs. Coyoza for MT on a modified 2017 V6:::
    the KD Pro tune for MT is a clear, strong, and refined step beyond Coyoza. imagine all the Coyoza power at low rpm, especially the shift into second gear, and then add a bit more power everywhere and a big whack of smoothness and consistency on top. this is what KD Pro is for me.

first gear is more easily usable and less jerky and has a more full and available power across the rev range at various throttle levels. Coyoza was peaky in first and at times inconsistent. i never complained about that but it's much nicer to have smooth and consistent. driving even in parking lots is noticeably easier as well.

second gear in Coyoza was great if, and only if, i could get the right load coming out of first. i had to run it up to above 4k with at least half throttle in first to get second gear to show strongly in Coyoza, and if i didn't hit it hard enough in first then second was quite flat. this appears fixed in KD Pro. it's much easier to get second gear strong coming out of first on a normal relaxed shift. the truck just picks up light on its feet and gets going out of nowhere... i had to work it much more in Coyoza to get it to show the power KD Pro is showing with much less effort.

third gear in KD Pro is showing similar to how second showed in Coyoza, it's much more full and strong.

throttle control on the highway is a thing for me, and Coyoza has been great. KD Pro was initially too smooth for me regarding releasing the throttle, but Kreg made an adjustment to the throttle efficiency target map, and that sharpened up the throttle release, which helps me control it on the highway. if you weight-shift your truck through throttle control, then be sure to ask Kreg to make this change for you. it's a big thing if you have solid motor mounts like i do, not at all subtle.

mileage has been similar to the past for me. i basically have to jump through hoops of fire to ever see anything above 17mpg but much of that is how i drive the thing.

i am super happy that i contacted Kreg to try KD again... the Pro tune is hands-down the best tune available for the MTs. i know Coyoza has been the go-to and for good reason, and i've been one of the biggest fans of it, but KD Pro wins here with no contest for me.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  18. Nov 30, 2021 at 8:39 AM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Glad to hear you are really enjoying the new KDMAX-Pro tune for the MT's! Really appreciate the detailed review!
    :cheers:

su.b.rat[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Nov 30, 2021 at 8:39 AM
    PapaRee

PapaRee [OP] Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thank you!
    This is a very well wriitten, detailed MT review.
    We really appreciate it!!

20. Nov 30, 2021 at 8:58 AM
    BigGilly444

BigGilly444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sort
    Is there a way to tune, where it doesn't want to drive in 6th at 50, lol. Wish it wouldn't drop rpms below 1900 unless at idle/1st gear. That would take care of it wanting to upshift to high.

To Top