1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keep the extended warranty or get my 1400 back???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by beerking, May 24, 2011.

1. May 24, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    beerking

beerking [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Access V6 TRD Sport
    All-pro APEX front bumper, 4xInnovation sliders w/kickouts, ATO front skid, Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Icon 2.5 Front coilovers with 700lb King shocks, 5100's on the rear, TSB Toytec AAL, slimcubby HID headlights, debadged, Magnaflow muffler, AFE drop-in, Python 991 Remote start/alarm, Clarion NX501, Wet Okole's, Weathertech digifit floor mats, Midland CB, Blue 4' Firestik II, Tailgate anti-theft mod, power tailgate lock, rear differential breather relocation & yellow wire mod.
    Hey everyone. I recently purchased my Taco and was given the option for an extended warranty through CarMax. The warranty was $1400, has a $50 deductible and is good for 7 years or 75,000 miles from my date of purchase. The truck had just over 26k when I bought it. I normally don't go for extended warranties but I figure I won't be putting a ton of miles on my truck, so the warranty is a good value if it takes 6 or 7 years to get to 75k. I have a honda civic I use as my daily driver, so the mileage shouldn't be an issue, though I must admit it's been hard to drive anything but my truck since I've purchased it.

I just wanted to get some opinions from some owners regarding reliability. CarMax said I could cancel my extended warranty at any time and get a prorated refund of the warranty cost if I changed my mind. I'm considering just taking my chances and using that money towards the lift I want to get, since in the end they may end up denying me warranty coverage anyway if it's deemed my lift and bigger tires caused the mechanical failure. (Transmission failure is my main concern.)

What do you guys think? Keep the warranty for the peace of mind or take my 1400 and mod the truck with it?

2. May 24, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    I would cancel it because I don't buy extended warrantys on anyhting. That being said, you could buy one at a much cheaper price and get the best of both worlds- for your peace of mind. Then you could put the difference toward mods. Do a search and you'll find some that are priced much lower.

3. May 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    If your truck is a 09 it still should be covered under the 3/36 correct?
    You can buy the Toyota Platinum Warranty for a lot less than 1400 & you have up to the OEM warranty expiring to buy one from any toyota dealer. There are a few here than sell them for much less!

I would suggest calling Troy Dietrich of Greenfield Toyota. He sold me plan right before the 3/36 ran out for $800 & that was a for a 7/100/0 deductible 4WD truck. So really only an extra 4 yrs & 40k past the 60k drivetrain. I had electronics trouble is why I picked it up and mine is 06. I already used it so its paid for itself.

Search Troy here you will get threads on the Toyota Platinum Warranties if that is what you want.
    As far as buying it, really its your choice.

4. May 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    "Transmission failure" I have almost 80k on my truck and haven't always been that nice to it. I tow a lot of weight long distances pretty frequently. As long as you maintaince the trans. ie, get it flushed at 60k then I doubt your will have any problem. I haven't heard of anyone on here with the 4.0/5 speed auto having any problems. If the trans. is the only thing your are worried about then I would ask for your money back.

5. May 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I'm a CPA and would advise you to get your money back. The profit margin on extended warranties is quite high. I have 64,000 miles on my '09 and it hasn't needed anything but oil and tires. If I had bought your warranty I'd almost be out of it with no repair work of any kind whatsoever.

My advice on ANY extended warranty is to keep your money in your pocket.

6. May 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    .... Run down there right now and get your money back!!!!! On past vehicles that we had this, it always seems like the part I need is never covered.

7. May 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 Ditch Doctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper
    I thought the same thing except on out 05 4runner the door locks started screwing up. Well they are $200 a piece for the parts plus installation. The extended warranty covered it with the $50 deductible. I feel like we got out money's worth out of it. Toyota replaced all 4 lock mechanisms in the doors.

8. May 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    kwelhand

kwelhand Well-Known Member

Member:
    The finance manger tried to sell me that F**King extended for 30 mins.
    I kept saying no and at one point he begged me to buy the warranty.
    GO GET YOUR MONEY BACK NOW!

9. May 24, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    beerking

beerking [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Access V6 TRD Sport
    All-pro APEX front bumper, 4xInnovation sliders w/kickouts, ATO front skid, Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Icon 2.5 Front coilovers with 700lb King shocks, 5100's on the rear, TSB Toytec AAL, slimcubby HID headlights, debadged, Magnaflow muffler, AFE drop-in, Python 991 Remote start/alarm, Clarion NX501, Wet Okole's, Weathertech digifit floor mats, Midland CB, Blue 4' Firestik II, Tailgate anti-theft mod, power tailgate lock, rear differential breather relocation & yellow wire mod.
    Great advice, thanks guys. I had wondered if I could go get an extended care warranty from Toyota instead of CarMax but theirs seemed decent enough. May not even go with that, either after hearing these comments. I maintain my cars very well so hopefully repairs won't be much of an issue. Looks like a lift and Wet Okole's are coming soon now...Thanks a ton!

To Top