1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keep Windows Streak-Free

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by tacoma805, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Apr 23, 2017 at 3:29 PM
    beergeek

beergeek Well-Known Member

Member:
    RI
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tacoma Limited
    shakerhood likes this.
  2. Apr 23, 2017 at 3:37 PM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    https://www.bobvila.com/posts/19886-removing-film-from-glass?page=1#.WP0rgN8pDqA
    Concentrated TSP, or TSP allowed to dry on glass can cause etching. If that has happened the damage may be irreversible.
    I used to use TSP as a cleaner for painted surfaces before repainting.
    I always remembered the warning about glass, so did a quick Google search. Probably not a problem in low concentrations, but fwiw.

3. Apr 23, 2017 at 3:48 PM
    Tac0maSteve

Tac0maSteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off Road Icon Ext. Travel
    DCSB... No mods here
    If you do not have aftermarket tint on the window you can use a vinegar and water mixture in a spray bottle. This is what we used to use when I was working in the house/home window cleaning industry. Wasn't the primary "solution" to what we used but it'll work.

4. Apr 23, 2017 at 5:01 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    I noticed my side and rear windows seem like they have some sort of silicon or something that repels water too, l thought the dealer did something to them pre-delivery, still trying to get it off too, may try some Bar Keepers Friend.

5. Apr 23, 2017 at 5:36 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    Why is the first reply often one of the funniest?

Chipskip likes this.
  6. Apr 23, 2017 at 5:48 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    good idea.

and I asked the dealers they didn't do anything. I just tried the magic eraser still didn't really do much.

Looking around on google supposedly its new glass sometimes has a residue left from manufacturing. Some sort of oil type film.
    Found some detailing forum that says try something like zippo fluid. I was thinking of this when I was using the magic eraser. I know that stuff works great for removing sticker residue. I'm all out so I'll probably stop and pick some up tomorrow and give it a try.

I used the rain x extreme clean and it helped for the outside but I'm not comfortable using it inside as its a bit messy. So thinking the naphtha should be a bit easier. Put it on some shop towel, clean it down then clean with some normal glass cleaner.

and for the thread, on interior with all my previous cars I've always used 1 part vinegar to 2 part distilled water on the inside. Was told its the best thing to use for tinted windows as it doesn't damage the tint, leaves a streak free spot free clean. the vinegar helps with any sort of finger prints a bit better than the water alone.

EB Group and shakerhood[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Apr 23, 2017 at 5:58 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    I have always used that SprayWay stuff and it works great but whatever is on these windows even repels it.

CusterFan and Joe23[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Apr 23, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    SWB Tacoma

SWB Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited DC AT SB 4x4
    Invisible Glass at Walmart.

9. Apr 23, 2017 at 6:12 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    ya man it's driving me crazy.

that rain x extreme clean stuff took about 3-4 applications before it finally got most of the residue off the outside of the windows on the doors and the windshield. I didn't do too much on the rear so it still has some residue on it.
    stoners invisible glass, windex, vinegar water, magic eraser, nothing has gotten it completely off.

I'm convinced I need to use something that's more of a solvent.

shakerhood[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    so I found something that worked quite a bit. Still not 100% but removed most of that stupid fucking residue.
    @shakerhood it might help you

I used shop towel, microfibre polishing clothes, and glass polishing cloths.

First I used Bar keeper's Friend spray with shop towel sprayed on the shop towel not the window.
    20170424_173308.jpg

Took lots of rubbing to get rid of most of it. After that the shop towel had some sort of yellowish residue on it.
    Next had to remove the bar keeper's friend, so used a mixing bowl with warm water and some dawn dish soap.
    wiped it down to remove most of the other cleaner with the microfibre polishing cloths
    Then wiped down again with another microfibre cloth and just plain water
    next dried it with a towel, just any random towel
    Then shop towel again with windex (the blue stuff) while using windex used my bare hand and rubbed even more, leaves finger prints yes but it helped remove even more of the oily/silicone like residue
    After that stoners invisible glass on the glass polishing cloth

I've only done this to the windshield as I'm not sure this would be safe to use on the tint on the rear windows and will do the drivers and passenger windows another day.

While doing so had a towel covering the whole dash to protect it.
    I have the powder one as well thinking that might work even better as it's a bit more abrasive so might help clean it off more. Just need to be careful to not ruin the glass.

shakerhood likes this.
  11. Apr 24, 2017 at 3:45 PM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Bar Keepers Friend is the real deal. That shit works great on everything from stainless steel to bathroom toilets and shower liners. There are similar powders but just aren't the same.

Also, found this stuff recently. If you're familiar with Hydro2, it's like that but specifically for glass:

Joe23[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Apr 24, 2017 at 3:48 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    I didn't try the powder yet but I'm thinking of giving it a try since its a bit more abrasive

13. Apr 24, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Yeah, ive never used their pre mixed pastes or sprays. The big gold colored can/tube is all you need. Just add water and get to scrubbing.

shakerhood and Joe23[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Apr 24, 2017 at 3:53 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    good call, and totally just booked that l'efant savage avatar :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Saw them a few months ago for their new album tour. Kick ass

gorram[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM
    DRJ1014

DRJ1014 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    I use the Kirkland yellow microfiber cloths. Clean the window with one and then with a completely dry one I go over the window 2 times and really apply some pressure. Going over with the dry cloth gets rid of all the residue from the cleaner used.

16. Apr 24, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    Barcared

Barcared Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red TRDOR RIP. 2020 MGM TRD OR.
    When I'm anal about glass, this is what I do:
    Everclear 190 and distilled water 70/30 mix.

This is about the cleanest stuff you can mix, if you can get it. I have to go to Delaware to pick this up since PA doesn't carry it in it's state controlled stores. I usually use about 1500ml a year between cleaning and using it for my alcohol stove when hiking. the denaturing process adds alcohols that don't burn as hot. I buy both bottles at the same time and the clerks always look at me funny. Once, I had to have my wife buy 1 bottle because they wouldn't let me buy both bottles.

Work on a small section at a time using a clean cloth.
    DONT let the everclear and water dry on it's own. The two products are GREAT solvents but when it dries, it will leave whatever residue was on the glass, back on the glass. You want enough solution on there to keep the glass damp so you can come in with another cloth and dry it with the dry cloth. The dry cloth will pick up residue that the alcohol/water has dissolved in solution.

don't use lab grade ETOH if for some reason you have access to a chemistry lab. there's a non reactive, inert bittering agent in some so people don't drink it. It's usually isopropanol and methanol. the problem is that stuff streaks a bit I think (tried it because I can get a flask of 98%ETOH for cheap)

I work on about a 1 foot by 2 foot section of glass at a time. If not, you will get the spray to dry up before you can clean it up. I use seperate color microfibers for inside glass and I never wash in the washer. I wash in isopropyl alcohol (it's so cheap at under a dollar a bottle) ring it out and rinse in distilled water. I don't want any soap residue on those towels. I don't like Iso for glass. it tends to streak a bit compared to ethanol. In the summer I might use a 20:80 etoh:h2o mix so it doesn't dry as quickly but it doesn't seem to work as well.

It's labor intensive with diminishing returns when it's warm and the glass is less likely to fog up from residue. I do this 2x a year at most: fall and early spring when it's a cool damp weather more likely to bring up fogging and make the residue on glass more evident.

If the glass is really dirty, use two bottles. 1 small bottle (I use a 4oz bottle) with 1 drop of diswashing detergent as a surfactant. then follow up with the pure 70/30 mix.

I use this method on my camera lenses, binoculars as well

17. Apr 24, 2017 at 5:11 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
  18. Apr 24, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    TomTwo

TomTwo I love God but I cuss a little

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    I-85 Southbound and Truckin
    Vehicle:
    Totaled 2012 TRD Sport, 2013 TRD Double Cab Sport
    Used this for 20 + years, real good for the grill and Headlights too.

shakerhood likes this.
  19. Apr 27, 2017 at 2:24 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    so gave it another go today and BOOM
    fuckin gorgeous.

Can take a wet towel or anything and put it on and its actually wet not this spotty wetness shit from some sort of water repelling garbage that Toyota put on the windshield on the inside that fuckin streaks worse than a prairie dogging turd on white underwear.

damp J cloth with some bar keepers friend powder, cleaner and polish on it
    Give it a long rub. Light pressure but continue rubbing for roughly a minute. Then wipe off all residue and remaining cleaner with a damp microfibre cloth, then dry with a towel.

You'll be able to feel it too. The glass will be smooth and won't feel your skin catch on it if drawing your hand over the glass.

I've been determined to get whatever the fuck was on it off. This worked thankfully.
    Not sure if you can do it on tint as well so proceed with caution and at your own risk. But for the front windows and windshield worked great.

After the cleaning was done used a glass microfibre towel with stoners invisible glass. Can't see a single streak now other than at the very very bottom where I didn't really wash much as I didn't want to get anything on the dash.

20170427_163418.jpg

shakerhood likes this.
  20. Apr 27, 2017 at 2:50 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    That is the ones tinted with film. I use the Rainx stuff on outside and vinegar or a non-ammonia cleaner on inside. For front sides with tint film i use invisible glass. I have tried newspaper but find it difficult to use. I normally end up using shop towels.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top