1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keep your gun always on sight like this!!!!

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Anayaj16, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Mar 9, 2017 at 11:49 AM
    cmack

cmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Burrito
    then why not keep it on your person? I always drive with mine on me.... unless I'm going to a bar or the gym, I conceal carry every where

Front sight likes this.
  2. Mar 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    I was asking about his state. I know mine. And your Cali laws are funny :) :poke:

3. Mar 9, 2017 at 11:51 AM
    Sand Shark

Sand Shark I dont pub crawl.when I do,I use pub crawl control

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue DCSB Off-Road (yes I get dirty)
    REI VIP Parking Pass,Pavement Avoidance System
    I like these magnets. We were talking about them around the dinner table. I just bought one for the dinner table. :cheers:

4. Mar 9, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    la0d0g

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    Apparently concealed doesn't mean concealed :D

5. Mar 9, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    cmack

cmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Burrito
    CCW not needed for the state of Arizona to conceal carry, as long as you are over the age of 21.. and of course as long as you haven't had priors in which the court orders you not to be in possession of a firearm

open carry here is 18+ (no permit required either)

6. Mar 9, 2017 at 11:53 AM
    la0d0g

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    Yeah. Our laws are similar for open. Not so for concealed.

7. Mar 9, 2017 at 11:55 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Meanwhile I'm over here in MD shit out of luck :annoyed:

8. Mar 9, 2017 at 11:57 AM
    cmack

cmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Burrito
    I just personally don't see a point in the magnet. you shouldn't be shooting from inside the vehicle. concealed carry doesn't tell the enemy you have a firearm on you (assuming you dress properly for carrying). in an instance where a threat sees a person with a firearm as opposed to someone who doesn't appear to have one, the person flashing their gun is the first target.

dunno.... i'll stick to my IWB holster...

Front sight likes this.
  9. Mar 9, 2017 at 12:02 PM
    la0d0g

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    I agree for the most part. Someone running up on the side of my truck is the fringe example where I don't agree.

10. Mar 9, 2017 at 12:04 PM
    cmack

cmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Burrito
    that's why I have mirrors :D

la0d0g[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Mar 9, 2017 at 8:47 PM
    Poe

Poe GOON.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Kentucky
    Not for me, decent idea

12. Mar 10, 2017 at 2:33 AM
    bhughesru03

bhughesru03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    20 TRD OR 4x4 MGM
    Personally, the magnet inside a vehicle where the OP had it is not for me due to retention purposes in an accident. I do like the concept. I always carry IWB but trying to retrieve the firearm from inside your pants with a seat belt on is very slow (remove seat belt, elevate shirt, defeat retention device if equipped, draw & fire). Especially when an unsuspecting person comes to your window and gets the drop on you. Which is possible to happen to anyone.
    Now maybe mounting Safariland's QLS mounting plate in a discreet location would be a better idea. That way you can secure your weapon in at least a level 1 retention holster which just clips on and off for when your not in your vehicle. When you get out of your vehicle you could switch your weapon to your IWB, unclip the holster, secure it in the console and keep it moving.

13. Mar 10, 2017 at 2:49 AM
    bhughesru03

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    20 TRD OR 4x4 MGM
    No disrespect, but I have to disagree. Shooting from a moving vehicle shouldn't be done, especially for joe blow citizen. But you never know when that threat will come. Shooting from inside a vehicle is something that should be practiced if given the opportunity to do so in a safe manner.

dmccurdy7 likes this.
  14. Mar 10, 2017 at 3:50 AM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    I think most would be better off leaving the weapon concealed how they usually carry it (which hopefully they've trained over and over for). Even though having the gun more easily accessible seems nice, in a real split second situation, where it's been proven you resort back to training, I believe most people would instinctively reach for their holster instead of the side of the console.
    I've seen countless times where guys move their pistol on their kit or person, and have to spend a lot of time retraining for that location. Transitions, speed shooting to simulate fast response, etc. They'll reach for where the pistol used to be only to either have to look away from the threat and realize the pistol is located elsewhere, or feel it's not there and then having to correct, thus wasting anytime that could of been saved by having a more convientent reach. It takes a lot of rounds to retrain that too. Hell, just switching holster or catch type takes practice and retraining. For breaching I swapped from a loop catch to magnetic, and spent half the day pulling the shotgun off the magnet back and around like there was still a loop I had to avoid. Same thing will people switching from serpa to safariland. That's with the weapon in the same place, just different release. Now you're not only moving the weapon, but you're also changing the housing.

To each their own, but I'd prefer to leave the weapon in the same spot at all times instead of varying it for the "cool" factor.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    cmack and Front sight like this.
  15. Mar 10, 2017 at 5:30 AM
    bhughesru03

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    20 TRD OR 4x4 MGM
    I can't agree with you more! Anytime you change anything about carrying a weapon (location, holster etc) you have to train yourself to build up the muscle memory so the draw becomes instinctive.

It is possible to build the muscle memory to draw from multiple locations depending on how your carrying. For example switching from carrying IWB to open carrying.

To be proficient it just takes a lot of practice! So if someone wants to mount their weapon in the vehicle then they should be prepared to put the time in to build that muscle memory. Especially building that memory so when you draw a weapon (if your right handed) and present it to a target outside the drivers side window that you don't muzzle your legs as you bring the weapon up on target.

16. Mar 10, 2017 at 8:31 AM
    la0d0g

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    I agree with your post whole heartily with three exception of the cool factor bit. Not sure how doing this would be interpreted as cool.

17. Mar 10, 2017 at 9:19 AM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    It was a blanket statement for all the different ways people invent to carry their pistol instead of just leaving it on their hip. I've seen a lot and every time someone has the reasoning that it's faster/better, but in reality (a lot of the time) it originated more for style. Not saying the OP did this for that reason, but I'd guarantee people will copy this idea (and we all know the type) just so people know they have a gun. The guy that conceal carries yet purposely has his shirt tucked behind the pistol, the guy that has some reference to the fact that he's concealed carrying on a sticker on their truck, etc.. Pretty much the guy that concealed carries with the perception that it makes them "cool".

Again, not pointing fingers or accusing anyone here. Cool is just one of the many words people use to poke fun around my parts. Cool, Gucci, tacticool, operator af, etc.

In the end, without proper training, one could carry the gun in their hand and someone could still get the drop on them.

la0d0g[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Apr 17, 2020 at 11:37 AM
    NateDB

NateDB Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport
    This isn’t available as far as I can tell. Anyone find a similar or new version?

19. Apr 17, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    3 yr old thread revival.

20. Apr 19, 2020 at 5:27 PM
    NateDB

NateDB Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport
    So no answer? Cool. Ha.

Products Discussed in

To Top