1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keeping Dogs in the Back

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by digizure, May 22, 2015.

1. May 22, 2015 at 10:48 AM
    digizure

digizure [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hello, I was wondering how you guys keep your dogs cool/warm during the summer/winter months? I'm thinking about getting a hard shell for my Tacoma and I wanted to know if I keep the rear windows open, would the A/C and heat be enough to keep my dogs safe? If not, what do you guys recommend? Thanks!

2. May 22, 2015 at 10:50 AM
    PerfectTekniq

PerfectTekniq I'm undefeated in the UFC.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pepe Silvia
    Claremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Super White 4x4 DC SB Sport
    AllPro Front, AllPro Rear w/ wraps, AllPro IFS Skid, 5100 w/ 885's upfront, Duratracs, Front Superbumps, BuiltRight UCAs, Dakar Leaf Pack, Extended 5100's, AllPro Flip Kit, Rear Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines WeatherTech Floormats, TRD Intake, ScanGaugeII, TRD SoCal, Grillcraft, Wet Okoles, Cobra 75 w/ 4' whip
  3. May 22, 2015 at 12:04 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I'm currently debating similar circumstances. Most of the shells are available with pet screens on the side windows. And there are fans available to circulate air.

In winter, it would have to be real cold, and the pup would have to be left in the shell for an extended period to become affected.

4. May 22, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    FJ to Taco

FJ to Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Lacey, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road,Snugtop Rebel
    Bilstein 5100's all around, OME 885's and OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Packs. Snugtop Rebel, pet screens,front slider drop down window. WeatherTech mats. Interior LEDS
    Here ya go, I have a Snugtop Rebel with pet screens and a slider up front to access AC from the cab. It has a front window fold down so i can clean both sides of the window.
    The truck sees the dirt and the shell stay's perfectly secure. I can fit the dog crates in the back if needed.
    shell1.jpg taco dio.jpg

Sugar Silva and MrCrobb like this.
  5. May 31, 2015 at 9:35 PM
    LiveFreeOrDie2015

LiveFreeOrDie2015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    York PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    3in lift,Fox suspension,chaos UCA,AAL,leer 180 topper,SilverStar zXe headlights & fog lights,BAMF kickout sliders,Mobtown full skids,Pelfreybuilt center hoop, Pelfreybuilt Gas Tank Skid,50" curved LED light bar, Hood scoop LED, Tran cooler and fan,Oil Catch can,LED Strip lights under hood & Bed,
    I have a 12v clip on fan mounted in cab window to blow AC into bed and let topper windows open 2-3 in to let hot air out. This is working well but day that get above 90 think I'll use a box fan plugged in to the 120v outlet.

6. Jun 1, 2015 at 12:38 AM
    Brjw

Brjw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    If you use any sort of boot between the truck rear window and canopy window, you can heat/cool the back very well. Crack a window in the shell and it becomes the least resistant path for air to escape, so the hot or cold air from the cab flows right through. An insulator on the floor will help a lot too (rubber mat/heavy carpet etc).

7. Jun 4, 2015 at 9:55 AM
    thornton28

thornton28 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    thornton
    where ruffed grouse were
    Vehicle:
    20155 tacoma
    topper

Speaking of birddogs.....keeping the dog hydrated is critical, also being out of drafts, fed good food and bedded in material that insulates will be all that is necessary to keep pup happy and healthy to well, well below zero.

Heat can be tough...personally, I have seen no reason for A/C even on a hot day in the Kansas shortgrass but ventilation, fans and parking in the shade...again with the all important hydration will do the job.

Keeping the dog in a vari-kennel would go w/o need of saying and I have found that a horse stall mat serves as a kennel floor better than most ideas.
    I personally prefer a topper in a light color with solid wire pet screens over the sliders.

8. Aug 14, 2017 at 8:25 AM
    2BeersPlease

2BeersPlease Well-Known Member

Member:
    I know this is a dead thread, but I ran across it looking for ideas on removing the sliding windows between the cab and topper. Just wanted to comment on your dogs. Look like American Bulldogs you have there, yes?

Have a friend that was breeding them here in NorCal about 10 years ago. He was working with some champion lines and produced a lot of great dogs for the short time he was breeding. That's when I fell in love with the breed. Great all-around working/family dog.

Products Discussed in

To Top