1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keeping the engine clean

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bayoubengal, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Feb 14, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    bayoubengal

bayoubengal [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was courious if anyone has done any kind of mods to keep mud out of their engine bay. I do a good little bit of wheeling and like to keep my engine bay and components as clean as possible, but find it hard to do when everytime
    I go through the slightest mud puddle it looks like someone just dumped a big bucket of mud on my engine.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. Feb 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    bayoubengal

Member:
    Bump come on guys nobodys got any ideas? I know somebody does

3. Feb 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I don't know if there is some cover or anything that would "seal" your engine compartment. My guess is that it's designed to allow airflow and water in and around. The 2 shields provide quite a bit of protection. I agree that it can get pretty nasty after running through mud puddles all day long.

The only thing I do is take it to a DIY carwash and use the soapy spray wand to point down in there and clean it out. If you don't know what to avoid direct spraying then don't do it. I stay away from directly spraying the alternator and all the ball joints. I never get near the electrical panel either. Fortunately we don't have the old distributor caps which were always the weak spot on older engines.

Unfortunately you can't have your cake and eat it to. If you're going to jump through mud and stuff you are going to have more cleanup afterwards.

4. Feb 16, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    bayoubengal

Member:
    yeah ill usually rinse it down right after while the mud is still wet because when it dries its kind of a bitch to get it as clean as id like it to be. then ill usually hit it with some engine degreaser and wipe it down. i was thinking about plugging up some of the holes in the fender well but i really dont want to take the chance of restricted air flow to my engine just to keep it a little clean. i guess ill just have to stick to the good ol thorough cleanin after a good day of muddin.

5. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    A good power washer works well to remove the dirt from the engine and body. I got my 2800 psi honda powered at HD for less than $400 and use it to clean houses, decks and now the truck :)

Not sure I would trust a commercial car wash type high pressure wash as they may use high detergents that can cause corrosion

6. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I pressure wash everything, then soak everything with WD-40. It makes the plastic parts last longer, keeps stuff from corroding as fast, and makes it easier to clean. It does attract dust and dirt, but I'm happier with all the other plusses.

7. Feb 16, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    TacoSport

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    Why soak with wd-40, it is a cleaner agent and not a preservative. Maybe a silicone based spray would help to reduce corrosion?

8. Feb 17, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    bayoubengal

Member:
    Yeah Im thinking I'm gonna need to invest in a power washer soon and save a whole lot of time with the whole process. And I felt the same way about using the high pressure do it yourself car washes. Actually did go to one of the diy car washes once after mudding one time and an old man came up to me asking if he could help me for some $ but I
    Had no money so I told him he could help me but I got no cash for him. Long story short he was telling me to use the engine degreaser setting on my body and it would make the mud "slide right off" I told him thatd be nice but I didn't really want my paint to "slide right off" as well. anybody else heard of this working or was the guy just screwin with me?

9. Feb 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    yea, we use silly cone spray over here.
    Mud just doesn't stick. I bet PAM would work too.

10. Feb 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    slly cone :)

11. Feb 17, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    billwot

billwot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access 4 cyl auto SR5
    Some years ago, I took my red '87 MR2 to a DIY carwash, and accidentally started the wash with the selector set for "engine cleaner". Fortunately, I had only soaked the rear deck and spoiler when I realized what I had done.

It obviously stripped the wax, and dulled the finish, leaving it with a dull, hazy white finish, like a badly oxidized paint.

It took a lot of buffing and ploishing to get it back so it matched the rest of the car.

Summary: Do NOT wash your cars exterior with "engine cleaner/degreaser".

12. Feb 17, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    It is more than a cleaner. It is an oil as well as a water repellant. It has worked on all of my vehicles past and present.
    Read the can. It's multi-purpose:)

13. Feb 17, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    TacoSport

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    I used it on my boat (salt water) and it never seemed to last long, silicone did. I guess it depends on what you are using it for.

14. Feb 17, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    I'll give it a try. Hopefully, it works better since wd40 is more expensive.

15. Feb 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    WD Is also a pretty strong solvent. Considering the crappy finish that's already on the bottom of the car, I'd stay away from the solvents for frequent use.

16. Feb 18, 2011 at 7:09 AM
    bayoubengal

Member:
    Well damn now I'm glad I didn't listen to the dumbass.
    And I guess I'm gonna try the silicone gel. Where could I pick some of this up? And do you just spray down your whole engine bay?

17. Feb 18, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    I spray my motor down with foaming tire dressing as well as the fender liners and undercarraige. Mud will wash off easily. :crapstorm:

18. Feb 18, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Yea, I'll use a power washer... but mostly because I know I won't use the vehicle for more than a year. Historically a year is WAY long for me. If you use one make sure its .. well you can't really use one with the truck on the ground safely.

19. Feb 18, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    protect the engine from dirt? never heard of that. but cleaning? that's in my area of expertise, hehe.

here's my take:

optimum power clean at full strength down to 3:1, depends on how dirty you get stuff. spray it out of a bottle with a good sprayer. you can mist or shoot a stream into tight spots if the sprayer is good enough. i use chem resistant bottles and sprayers from a detail supply outfit. let it dwell, agitate if needed with a lug nut brush, then soak with another bottle of water with a good sprayer. you can also spot spray with a hose if you have a stream setting on your sprayer.

after you are done, warm the engine up so the water evaporates, let it cool and spray the entire engine assembly, shroud, etc. down with meguiars hyperdressing diluted 4:1 with distilled water. it's non-silicone and won't attract dust. it will not last that long but it will help condition many of the materials in the bay, and can be reapplied whenever you want to freshen it up.

for the underhood bay sides, rad support, firewall, master cylinder/booster, etc. etc., i clean them either by hand, with a lug nut brush or via spray, let it all dry, and spray optimum spray wax on them, and buff off with microfibers relegated to such work. it helps keep stuff from sticking and offers protection as well.

powerwashing can get water into spots you don't want. while this engine is probably pretty damn water tight, still...

also power washing the outside of your vehicle will remove any protection you have added. if you clay, machine polish and protect your finish with a high quality sealant (not wax), stuff will be less prone to adhere and also be able to be removed much easier without the need for a power washer. for wells, try optimum power clean, dwell, spray out then apply that hyperdressing solution.

WD-40 should not attack paint whatsoever. i have used it in the past as a tar/adhesive remover and have had zero issues. however, it is best used as said tar remover or a water displacing product. it's a shitty lubricant and a HORRIBLE idea as a dressing.

20. Feb 18, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 TRD Sport CC, LB
    King Racing reservoir shocks, Camburg UCA's, Deaver 10 leaf pack, Bilstein 5100's, Magnaflow exhaust.
    Gunk Foamy Engine Bright

Warm it up, spray it on, hose it off.
    5 minutes tops.

Products Discussed in

To Top