1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

keeping water out of bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacomaPrime, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jan 12, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime [OP] Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5 TRD off road
    I have a extang trifecta on my dcsb. whenever it rains or I wash the truck, I get water in the bed up towards the cab. not a ton, but I'm trying to keep as much water out as possible to keep the bed bolts from rusting. I replaced all 6 of them recently and painted with 3 layers of rustoleum paint before replacing them, but still.
    I did put some leftover tailgate seal under the tonneau cover under the corners, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

2. Jan 12, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    XD40SC

XD40SC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Davis
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    10' PreRunner SR5 Black Sand Pearl
    I want to replace mine. Where did you get them and how much? Was it a pain?

As for the leak they make a seal for the bed. Did you cover the whole back of the bed?

3. Jan 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    I got my bed bolts from the dealer. They were 12.50 a piece, but they had them in stock, so I just bit the bullet and bought them.

It was a pain getting 1 of the old ones out. I stripped the head and had to cut a socket shape into it and use a socket and breaker bar to get it out.
    When I put the new ones in I slathered the new ones with antiseize. Then torqued them to 40ft/lbs. that way if I ever need to get them out again for some reason they will come out easily.

Do you have a link to the seal for the bed. I got a tailgate seal when I bought the tonneau cover, so I put that on, but I need to replace it cause part of it didn't stick well. I would love to have a seal around the entire bed.

4. Jan 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    aren't the bolts in there stainless steel, or am i missing something?...

5. Jan 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x The shit show

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    BC
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SAS
    3link 1tons on 40's and sum stuff
    I havent had a problem with mine but if i did there was a write up about painting bed boldt. Id scrape off as much as possible with a wire brush, tape/mask off the surrounding areas, use a rust prof primer (2 coats) then a outdoor rust resistant black paint with 2 clear coats on top. Depending where you are it can be impossible to keep water out of the bed.

Im also thinking of drilling bigger drain holes, so the water wont sit at the front as long.

6. Jan 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I painted all the bed bolts with rustoleumm before I installed them this time.
    Maybe I can drill a couple new drain holes?

7. Jan 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    danimal92sport

danimal92sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dcab, 4WD, TRD O/R
    Pretty sure they're just plain old zinc plated steel.

8. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Any other ideas on this? i'm still trying to figure out how to keep water out. It seems to get in at the front two corners by the bed. It's not alot, but enough to be annoying. The bedmat i put in will probably help keep things dry, but i'd like to keep water out of the bed completely if at all possible.

9. Jan 3, 2015 at 5:47 AM
    Taco One

Taco One Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock Tacoma
    Drilling holes will only create a larger problem by trapping water between bed and liner. I've removed all bolts and replaced with stainless steel. Bed liner bolts were removed, blasted and painted with Eastwood Chassis Black. Had to do the same with tail gate liner molding screws. No stainless to be found for these.

Think Toyota blew it on this one, they could have used a number of finishes that wouldn't rust.

Yes, I know this thread is 3 years old.

10. Jan 3, 2015 at 9:00 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport longbed
    weathertech visors,remote start,lojack, ARE z type topper, wet okole seat covers, pop n lock tailgate lock
    let it ride.... we all know there is no liner lol

11. Jan 3, 2015 at 2:56 PM
    ThomasDean

ThomasDean Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 Grey Metalic PreRunner
    black leather seats, nerf bars.
    I feel the trifold covers are just susceptible to leaks. The seams just seem have too large a gap to repel water. The weather striping on top helps, but underneath, the water has to channel somewhere. I have put non hardening gasket material under the bed rails , that helped. Using a flash light at night, I located gaps and marked them. Filing the gaps during the day and rechecking at night fixed the problem. I have the BakFlip VP, it has the vinyl cover stretched across the top, no exposed seams. With the exception of diagonal wind and rain it is water tight. The gaps near the tailgate are the hardest to seal up, so I just try keep everything clear of this spot.

12. Jan 3, 2015 at 3:02 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Ihatetacomas Because tacomas hate me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade,
    I don't know if you have drain tubes in your extang but I drilled a hole in a cork and a little bit of tubing that would fit in the holes in the back to drain better, ill put some pics up when I get back to montana

I should add that the tonneau cover I have is the BakFlip G2. Survived an elk horn piercing it on the highway, very impressed.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  13. Jan 3, 2015 at 6:37 PM
    V0X

V0X Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Ooltewah, TN
    TRD Pro Grille, MB TKO Wheels, BFG TA KO 265 70R17, Pop and Lock (color matched), Undercover SE Tonneau.
    Undercover SE doesn't let any water in my bed. Dry as a bone. Tonneaus is one piece and overlaps the sides.

To Top