1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kelson's Reg. Cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Kelson, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Apr 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    Kelson

Kelson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    90% front, 10% Rear Torque Split does not count. lol

2. Apr 16, 2012 at 4:54 AM
    COMAtose HI

COMAtose HI Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD SPORT 4x4
    6" Procomp Stage 1 Suspension Lift, Custom 6" Alcan Springs, N-Fab Side Steps, Husky Floor Liners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Debadged, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, 13" Antenna from AntennaX.com, 35% Tint for front windows, Procomp 7032 Series 18x9 wheels, 33x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler tires
    mean truck!!! i wanna pick up one like this for my daily driver...minus all the mods!!! lol

3. Apr 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    Kelson

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    ^thanks! haha yeah its pretty good on gas and hella easy to park. good DD!

finally, pic of said X Braces on truck lol.

619e4eaf_cad5b673a1f43f52ac6bd4020ed5f2878c410d4a.jpg

4. Apr 16, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    :cheers:

This is the best 5 lugger i've seen!

Looks really good. Dont stop modding till all your money is gone! :evil:

5. Apr 16, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    Kelson

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    camera is on the ground. and my truck sits face down ass up.

whale is green and on the right lmao

mahalos! this is why i'm broke af all the time. lmao

best, not lowest :p

6. Apr 16, 2012 at 11:53 PM
    COMAtose HI

COMAtose HI Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD SPORT 4x4
    6" Procomp Stage 1 Suspension Lift, Custom 6" Alcan Springs, N-Fab Side Steps, Husky Floor Liners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Debadged, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, 13" Antenna from AntennaX.com, 35% Tint for front windows, Procomp 7032 Series 18x9 wheels, 33x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler tires
    eh kelson...nice license plate frames!!!

7. Apr 17, 2012 at 4:00 AM
    Kelson

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    mahalos!

they starting to fade tho :(

8. Apr 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    Kelson

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    touche. lol i don't even have a subscription to Minutruckin' though or anything lol :anonymous:

9. Apr 17, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    sick i like the orange x-brace haha

is it just bolt on?

10. Apr 19, 2012 at 3:27 AM
    Kelson

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    mahalos.

& yes. well, kinda. sorta, not really, at all. lol

the fronts bolt up no problem

the rear is where there is problem.

mayjah problems

the two mounting points to the frame, in the rear, line up fine.

where the brace lines up with the leaf shackle holder, is the problem

on XRunners, there are threaded holes. Other tacoma's don't have these holes. and whatever we tried, we couldn't get the brace to line up with these holes on mulitple axis'.

to solve the bolt problem, a nut was placed inside, closest to the shackle. threaded a bolt up through the XBrace, used two bushings to space it out so everything would line up.

11. May 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    jaov2k

jaov2k New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Vehicle:
    5-Lug White
    Hello Kelson,

I recently purchased the same truck, but it's 2012, and was hoping to lower it as my first mod. I'm a bit of a novice to the topic so if you could briefly explain the components that you used and why as opposed to the stock one's it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm particularly puzzled by the process of lowering with leaf springs.

Basically, what should I do to lower my truck a few inches. I'd like to possibly track the vehicle on a road course. I think it would be fun to race against all the sedans and coupes in a pickup.

-Jose

12. May 4, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    i just saw this haha but that sucks atleast it wasnt any major fab work you had to do

13. May 4, 2012 at 11:34 PM
    Kelson

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    well, to start off, you don't need to buy most of things I have on my truck suspension wise to lower it.

I went with the DJM upper and lower control arms as the basic front drop, as it allows for the greatest change in height up front, 3".

rear i chose to replace the leafs with 4x4 ones with less of an arch so that I wouldn't have to run a huge block. the bigger the block, the more leverage on the leafs because they are so far from the axle. running 3-4" blocks are ok, and if you want the basic drop, you can just use the blocks included in the DJM kit.

the sittin sic front springs and all my shocks are very performance oriented. aka my truck rides like a dump truck, but she does hold her own in the corners.

basically, all you need to do to drop your truck the right way is go DJM, and then you can build on it from there, like I did. :)

lol yeah im glad i didn't need to resort to welding anything

14. May 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    jaov2k

jaov2k New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Vehicle:
    5-Lug White
    I see that the DJM rear kit requires cutting into the frame for clearance. I believe you avoided this by using the 4x4 leafs? Where did you get your 4x4 leafs from?

and

while searching for the sittin sic suspension I discovered the "Track Ready Drop Kit PLUS" by XII Performance. Do you have any experience or knowledge of this kit? They call it "Track," so it maybe adequate for the weekend mountain carving. The draw back is the $1400 price tag versus DIY kit, that would most likely cost about half.

-jose

15. May 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    Kelson

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    whether or not you want to notch frame is up to you. I chose not to. im compensating for the lack of suspension travel in back with extremely low profile bumpstops and the QA1 shocks which are on a very stiff setting.

you can drop the truck around 3-4" out back before your axle is way to close to the frame to provide any real suspension travel.

if you go a full 4 inches out back (level) i would notch.

the reason I chose the 4x4 leafs were simply for performance reasons. the 4x4 leafs drop the truck around 1.75" by themselves. by doing this, i can run a smaller block. with a smaller block, there is less leverage on the axle, and handling is a bit better.

i bought my 4x4 leafs from someone locally who lifted their truck.

keep in mind any of the XII performance kits will only drop your truck around 1.5" out front as it is a drop spring.

they are designed with XRunners in mind, and have a much higher spring rate. they are great; however i'd run the OEM Bilstien struts up front, as the stock tockios will be murdered by them.

16. May 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    speckdzl4shzl

speckdzl4shzl Tundy cruisin'

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    glad you got it all bolted up! It was well loved :D

another way to do the two mounts on the leaf shackle is to drop a bolt through the bottom of the rear leaf mount. there's a drain hole there. or do what i did and have a buddy weld a bolt there. i hope you impacted it on there, FRAME BOLTS like impact guns ;)

17. May 18, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    dubbedSinner

dubbedSinner blisters

Member:
    Lowered 3/4, debadged, led tails, projector headlights with hids, billet grill, blacked out windows, painted front and rear bumper and grill shell. Inside, 4 crappy 15's, suede wrapped headliner and door panel inserts, alpine double din, few painted pieces inside, and every led is either blue or white.
    ^No they don't. They like to be properly torqued down with a good torque wrench.

18. May 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    speckdzl4shzl

speckdzl4shzl Tundy cruisin'

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    let me correct myself, douche. FRAME BOLTS like impact guns.

i've had my suspension in pieces more than most anyone on this forum and have never had an issue in the 4 years i was lowered.

i impacted the X-braces to the frame because you want it as stiff as possible.

19. May 25, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    dubbedSinner

dubbedSinner blisters

Member:
    Lowered 3/4, debadged, led tails, projector headlights with hids, billet grill, blacked out windows, painted front and rear bumper and grill shell. Inside, 4 crappy 15's, suede wrapped headliner and door panel inserts, alpine double din, few painted pieces inside, and every led is either blue or white.
    Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up lol.

20. Jun 29, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    think the drop would be good with the djm kit for the front and xII composite leafs in the back?

Products Discussed in

To Top