1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kenwood 8120

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TacoSter, May 8, 2008.

1. Nov 25, 2008 at 9:16 AM
    norcalbb11

norcalbb11 Nor*Cal

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco Sport 4x4
    flowmaster 40 series, tinted windows, airaid CAI, removed 2nd filter, aries black bull bar
    yeah might as well, doesnt hurt to do it if its not hard to do, and worth it if it helps alittle bit

2. Nov 25, 2008 at 9:53 AM
    cmytacoma

cmytacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Humboldt county NORCAL
    Vehicle:
    05 black DC LB sport
    Eclipse AVN 6620, Diamond audio 4.5" component in kicks, center channel with same mid and 2 tweets, infinity kappa perfect component 6.1 in front doors, kappa 6.1 coax in rear, sx900.4, fosgate power 1000, 06 L7 in ported box. BHLM, custom made sliders,
    I had the same dilemma when purchasing my new HU. After too many hours researching, when i should have ben working, I decided on the new Eclipse 6620. It's dual drive like the kenwood so you can have map and dvd/ CD capability at the same time. This is by far the easiest install i've ever done, and i am no expert. everything is plug and play including the steering wheel mounted controls!!! No wiring harness or splicing and it's actuslly easier to get to then it originally looks, just pop off the AC controls and unscrew the 4 bolts. Of course you need a dash kit, sosche is what i went with but i hear the metra is even easier, and i finished the whole thing including pulling the stock HU, minus running my wires through the roof, in less then an hour. (anyone with skills could do it in less) I got the back up cam, sirius radio and the ipod cable which i had my buddy install cause he is more familiar with that. Sound was an amazing improvement, although all speakers in my truck were already aftermarket so anything would have been. Really brought my system to LIFE (dayton 8's in doors, SEAS tweets in sails, Audio Daves Diamond 4.5" components in kicks and center channel, and 2 dayton HO 10's behind the double cab seat) Even grounding the wires was simple so my "passengers" can watch DVD's up front. Nav is right on point and easy to turn her voice on and off. In fact all the controls are pretty simple and straight forward to learn and understand. I almost pulled the trigger on the Kenwood but saved a bundle and got this 6620 slightly used but in perfect condition, and couldn't be happier with my decision.(couldn't beat 600 bones) I was originally looking at the pioneer but just didn't like it and you have to purchase way to many accessories to have similar features as mine. The thing that killed the kenwood for me was the boot up time, takes forever, and compared to how the eclipse was almost instant that is what tipped my scales. Picture quality and sound were almost identical, but I don't think you can go wrong either way between the Kenwood and eclipse. It really comes down to personal preference. Good luck

Anyone know if they'll make a blue-ray attachment for these, all my new movies won't work?

3. Nov 25, 2008 at 10:33 AM
    norcalbb11

norcalbb11 Nor*Cal

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco Sport 4x4
    flowmaster 40 series, tinted windows, airaid CAI, removed 2nd filter, aries black bull bar
    i saw that eclipse for 799 on crutchfield

4. Dec 2, 2008 at 11:47 PM
    jonathan

jonathan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    NJ to Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Double Cab Black
    Grillcraft grill Kenwood DNX 7140(gone) De-Badged and De-Stickered Tint 5% Back, Black Bull Bar(gone)
    Did anyone pay a shop for the 8120 install? If so how much?, thanks

5. Dec 26, 2008 at 11:13 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    what is the first result that gets pulled up when everyone googles kenwood 8120?

6. Dec 26, 2008 at 12:42 PM
    Addicted

Addicted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - Black
    Some crappy forum site... ;)

7. Dec 28, 2008 at 7:28 AM
    pitcrew

pitcrew Member

Member:
    Do the steering wheel controls for volume still work with the kenwood?

8. Dec 28, 2008 at 7:57 AM
    TacoSter

TacoSter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago Burbs
    Vehicle:
    Had 08 taco, in a 4runner now
  9. Dec 29, 2008 at 1:47 PM
    EGtaco

EGtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    oes the PAC steering wheel control addaptor work for the 2009? I got the Kenwood a weekago and did not get the steering wheel controls because the shop was not sure the 2008 model would work on the 09s.

I must say that one thing I am not real happy about is the street names on the NAV. They never really show up except for major roads. Even when I zoom in I dont see street names and that is a big negative. maybe I just need to play with the HU a little more. Any tips on this?

Products Discussed in

To Top