1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kenwood Android Auto install in 3rd gen - review-ish (long)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by rongoms, May 15, 2018.

1. May 15, 2018 at 7:50 PM
    rongoms

rongoms [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Forest Compound outside of Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road Inferno Double Cab, 2010 FJ Cruiser, 1992 Land Rover Snatch
    SO, I'm just having returned from the installer where we dropped the new Kenwood DNX995S with Maestro interface into Trogdor, the SAR Taco.

I'm really impressed with this unit. The screen is fantastic. considerably better than the OEM 7" screen. Nice and bright, even in direct sun (yes, Seattle gets sun, now and then...), and super crisp. It's a capacitive touch-screen and very responsive. Possibly more so than OEM.

Sound quality (50w) is fantastic. MUCH better and more clear than the JBL unit.

They've included Garmin Nav, which is a requirement for me but the display is a bit different than the stand-alone unit. It's....flatter, like a 6:9 TV. It's still very usable, as it displays the turn-by-turn directions on the bottom of the screen, even when you're not on the nav screen. I haven't tested to see if the nav directions are ported to the small screen in the instrument cluster as with OEM.

Maestro really does an amazing job of keeping all the OEM steering wheel functions and backup camera functionality. Everything works as it does with the stock head unit.

SiriusXM. Well, yeah. It works, of course, but a separate tuner is required, as the OEM head unit contains the XM tuner. This is not a big deal, but does add some additional cost. It does, however, use the stock antenna. (thank god)

Android Auto (and Wireless) - It's pretty damn cool, I must say. Screen mirroring is awesome and the Weblink function in the unit gives you access to Waze, or you can get it on the Android screen.
    and about that wireless stuff....Unless you're using one of the Google-branded Android devices, you're shit-out-of-luck for the moment. Pixel, Pixel 2, Nexus 5X or Nexus 6P only.
    Samsung or LG? Nope. Wait your turn peasant.
    You're also going to be adding a second USB input whether you like it or not. The factory USB/Stereo input requires an adaptor that's on worldwide backorder. Made from unobtainium, apparently. This input is how those of us who didn't appease the GoogleGods and buy a Pixel enable Android Auto.

So, there's the high points.
    I'm sure i'm forgetting a ton of stuff but I've got a cigar waiting for me on the deck. I'll be happy to answer specific questions about this unit and its quirks.

Would I buy it again?
    Yep, no question. Google's shitty Googleness notwithstanding.

EDIT - Pics of unit installed and some screens added.
    Note that the screen is much more sharp than is shown here. the forum's photo compression is fuzzing them out.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. May 15, 2018 at 7:51 PM
    Man of Steel TRD

Man of Steel TRD Ignorance is the new normal

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Ram Limited Night Edition, 91 300ZXTT, 90 Toyota Pickup ECLB
    Tow package, LED interior lighting, led low beams, led fog lights, led licence plate lights, OEM bed mat, OEM mud flaps, OEM chrome raised tailgate letter inserts, nerf bars, AVS ventshades. Complete Kicker audio system (4 channel amp, mids and tweets in the front, 2 ways in the back, 2 10 inch comp rt subs, Zxsum8, alpine pdx 1.600 boxes and amp rack by Mr Marv), Pop & Lock, Mobtown locking bed storage doors, Bilstein 5100s, Katzkin Leather interior, Redline Hoodstruts, Backflip.
    How does it look in the dash?

3. May 15, 2018 at 7:54 PM
    Donkeythekidd

Donkeythekidd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Beaumont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
  4. May 15, 2018 at 9:19 PM
    rongoms

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    It's dark outside now;I'll shoot some pics tomorrow AM, but it looks really clean using the Metra bezel kit. pretty close to OEM, albeit a bit smaller.

The best part is that it gets rid of the fingerprint magnet piano black bullshit.

5. May 15, 2018 at 9:53 PM
    patdeezy

patdeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    souLcaL
    Vehicle:
    '19 OR 4x4 SuperWhite DCSB
    in for pix

6. May 16, 2018 at 5:16 AM
    AFMurse2014

AFMurse2014 Death Can Wait

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Double Cab TRD OFF ROAD 6 Speed MANUAL
    Freedom, American flags and ISIS blood Morimoto 35w 5500k HID/ LED highs from TRS. RCI expo rack Core Short throw shifter, hypertech speedo recalibrator. Rear seat molle panel. OVT. PnP 2LM. C4 Hybrid Bumper w/ amber BD squadron pods. 33 pizza cutters. T9 radio
    Pics! Lol

7. May 16, 2018 at 5:24 AM
    necrodiety

necrodiety Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver TRD Sport
    OV Tune, Bakflip F1, Redline hood struts, faux pro headlights and tails, Meso: bucket, map and dome lights, fuse cover.
    That's the exact setup I'm going for. Can't wait for pics before I drop $1400 on it. I'm even considering upgrading from my S7e to a Pixel just for wireless android auto. Waze is sooooo important to me and I'm tired of mounting my phone. I assume you are just leaving it on the QI pad right?

For the XM connection to the stock antenna, did they have to use that $50 aftermarket adapter?

8. May 16, 2018 at 5:49 AM
    trot

trot Dang.

Member:
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Vehicle:
    18 SW TRD OR DCSB P&T
    Interested .the JBL ain't bad but it ain't good

I do want to keep all the functionality but with Android auto

This would be a next year thing, I just got the 18 last week

Thanks for the report.

9. May 16, 2018 at 5:50 AM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue
    would like to know more about the oem integration? was a lot of it just plug and play and does all the oem buttons still work?

how about the info screens you lost from the oem that are not related to music/nav?

specifically the driver settings screen?

2016Tacoman likes this.
  10. May 16, 2018 at 5:57 AM
    2016Tacoman

2016Tacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 Metallic
    Too bad after markets have not been able to add that in.
    They should for more sales.
    I put in a 4200NEX

11. May 16, 2018 at 5:57 AM
    Pine State

Pine State Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCSB SR5 4x4
    This looks really nice. I am torn between getting aftermarket or just waiting for Toyota to release their OEM carplay solution and seeing if it wouldnt be easier or cheaper to retrofit mine with the OEM option.

12. May 16, 2018 at 6:01 AM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue
    it would be nice, but it could be an issue for those that don't have access to techstream. I have it loaded on a laptop so its somewhat of a mute point. but its a lot easier to change settings via the screen that having to lug the laptop out and connect and change settings. a lot easier/quicker via the oem setting screen for those minor things.

not that big of deal on my 2014 4runner since the wife has never driven it once, but on the 18 tundra, kinda nice to change some settings quickly during a long trip that are turned off around town.

13. May 16, 2018 at 6:03 AM
    2016Tacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    What settings do you find changing most ? Most of them were generic stuff I never bothered with.

14. May 16, 2018 at 8:28 AM
    rongoms

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    The head unit accepts the input from the XM tuner, but a separate tuner is required. I'm pretty sure there is an antenna adaptor in there someplace.

I'm not a huge fan of the original Pixel, just doesn't feel....I don't know.....solid enough for me. I've got an S8+ and an S9+ now and the local samsung mobile guy says the summer update will carry Android Auto Wireless, so it might be worth waiting for. I've got a Pixel in a drawer someplace, so maybe I'll dig it out and play with the wireless stuff.

15. May 16, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    trazerr

trazerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB SR5 4x4(formerly 1996 AC LX 4x4 5sp)
    You might have said this, but does it utilize the stock bluetooth mic?

16. May 16, 2018 at 8:35 AM
    rongoms

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    Ah...no.
    This head unit requires its own mic for phone functionality. The included mic is pretty small and unobtrusive, however.

trazerr[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. May 16, 2018 at 8:55 AM
    rongoms

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    It was largely plug-n-play, save the mic and XM tuner. All the OEM buttons work as they did before. (at least i've not discovered any that don't thus far.)

I'm kind of with TacoMan....I don't change the settings on the info screens.
    That being said, this integrates into the CAN and can display TMPS data, engine temp, manifold temp, oil temp....quite a few of the hidden things that the CAN reads but doesn't display anywhere, so It's a wash, for me.

2016Tacoman likes this.
  18. May 16, 2018 at 9:00 AM
    bv8ma

bv8ma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    That looks fantastic!! Is there a Spotify app or is it all bluetooth controlled? I hate that the stock unit has Pandora but not Spotify on it. This might be my next upgrade for the sound system. BTW off topic but what cigar were you smoking? I'm somewhat of an enthusiast lol.

19. May 16, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    2016Tacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    On my Pioneer 4200NEX love Waze:thumbsup:, Google maps, Pandora, Spotify, Android auto, DVD movies:cheers:, rear and front cam, tmps/engine data and sound output.
    Much better than stock. I'll do without being able to change the time the dome light stays on using stock receiver. :rofl:

20. May 16, 2018 at 9:08 AM
    chadabear

chadabear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB 4x4
    Pixel doesnt do wireless charging.......... yet...

Products Discussed in

To Top