1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

kENWOOD DNX5120

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Re8elmonk0341, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Jan 23, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    Re8elmonk0341

Re8elmonk0341 [OP] "Kill BABIES"

Member:
    First Name:
    m0nk
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen. DC 4x4
    Anyone have this stereo or planning on getting this model? If so what is your opinion on it?

2. Jan 23, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I have the 8120 and I love it! And I believe the functionality is the same, just the 5120 has a smaller screen, it doesn't fold down for disc insertion and has a volumn knob.

3. Jan 23, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    MTL Tacoma

MTL Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montreal, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC LB TRD Sport
    I have a 8120 and it works great. The installer that work on my truck has a 5120, for a couple of years now and he loves it.

Happy Shopping!!

4. Jan 23, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    G-Sak

G-Sak Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Offroad SR5 DC 6 speed
    FX-R Projector Retrofit with Apollo Shrouds, Digital HID 55 watt ballasts, D2S Philips 85122+ bulbs in the Winter and Digital HID 55w 5k bulbs in the summer, Bakflip G2, Pop N Lock, Tint, Grillcraft with PIAAs behind it, ScanguageII and a few audio/video upgrades.
    ^^^ What Longhorn said and also I believe that the 5120 only has two RCA outs. Are you going to be using an amp to power your speakers and/or a sub? If you are then that is something to think about. With only two RCA outs you would be able to control either the front and rear speakers or the sub and one set of speakers (most likely the fronts).

I have the 7120 and it is great! One reason I went with this over the 5120 is that it has three RCA outs so I have control over the front and rear speakers as well as my sub.

5. Jan 23, 2009 at 3:56 PM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    K&N airfilter, HID conversion for headlights/fogs. Wet Okole Seat covers, Kove Aphex processor Kenwood comp 6.5" and 6.5"coaxial 5100 billy shocks 2.5", 1.5" fabtech AAL,Epicenter and MTX Sub, debadged, tinted, kenwood dnx812, black mesh grill, led ext/int.
    I installed the DNX512 w/o the navi system on my GF Highlander. This deck is very nice ease to work with, just like Longhorn mentioned. You will like it. I the idea that it can be updated with the USB. Videos clear, sound is amazing. I'm planning on getting the DNX812 for me.

6. Jan 23, 2009 at 4:34 PM
    Re8elmonk0341

Re8elmonk0341 [OP] "Kill BABIES"

Member:
    First Name:
    m0nk
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen. DC 4x4
    I don't know too much 'bout sound systems but I know I want one in my Taco. Im looking for something that will play CD's/DVD'S and a GPS system plus I like the other features as well. I will check out the newer models, shop and compare. Thanks for all your remarks and input.

7. Jan 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    nermalgod

nermalgod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    I went with the DNX7120. I wanted the largest screen possible. The Ipod interface is good, the Garmin navigation is awesome, the unit is real intelligent and has lots of great features.

I hate myself for not getting the 8120. It has these features that the 7120 does not, Bluetooth built in, 5.1 surround decoding, 2 USB ports, and 5 volt pre-outs.

I thought I could live without all of that and save myself a couple hundred. Now I come to realize that the 5120 and 7120 (now discontinued) have Double Digital 2 channel surround, which isn't true surround sound. I noticed this while using a movie with a THX setup feature that I couldn't isolate front and rear speakers. If I'm missing something and it's possible, someone please tell me. I'm using stock speakers with the harness rather than an amp and RCA's. I wanted true surround, and this is going to sound dumb, but for my own drive in movie experiences.

I have access to a LCD projector and using the DVD with video out, I can put the projector on my cab shining on a building or sheet in a tree while having sound in the cab. I thought it would be a great way to get laid, you know, private drive-in and all. But fake surround just isn't the same. I would kill for a time machine so I could go back and spend the extra dough on the 8120.

Although price point, the 5120 has lots of great features and won't break the bank.

8. Jan 23, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra TRDRW
    Nada, Zip, Zilch, Nothing
    ^^
    Just convinced me to get the 8120... :D

9. Jan 23, 2009 at 10:19 PM
    Bananahands

Bananahands Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Sport
    I just ordered my 5120 yesterday so no, I haven't actually used it. But I have been spending hour upon hour shopping for the right HU. I've compared them all and found that for my needs (and for the price) that the 5120 was right for me. Like others mentioned it does have a few drawbacks over more expensive systems. So you really have to ask yourself if you need those things. I personally never plan on adding a sub woofer and this HU puts out more than enough power for me (i'm not trying to win any car audio competitions). As for the surround sound, to me watching the movies is more for the passengers and no matter how good it sounds, you're never going to feel like you're in a theater watching that small of a screen. There will be times that I'm stuck somewhere or waiting on somebody that I'll really get to enjoy the movies but how often is that really?
    so its really just a preference. While you're looking, go to YOu tube and search dnx 5120, there are a few video reviews of the system that really helped me out. Everyone seems to really like the system. THe major drawback for me is the ONE usb port. So if you have an ipod wire connected then you can't have the regular usb cable connected to allow you to use flash drives. I've heard of people using usb hubs succesfully but I'm not counting on it. I just ended up picking up a 30gig Ipod video on ebay today, only cost $80 shipped. Thats more than enough room for me (i hope). Well hope this helps, Wow I really just went off there. :D
    Good luck,
    Khris

P.S. Nermalgod, that sounds awesome! definatley help with the ladies, I may have to pick up a projector. ;)

10. Jan 24, 2009 at 7:05 AM
    CRFan1

CRFan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    DNX5120, Audsion AMp, Hertz Speakers
    Question....Is there an aux port on the front of the unit where you can hook up an iPod (i know you won't be able to control it)?

Just curious...I am kinda liking this unit.

11. Jan 24, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    Bananahands

Bananahands Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Sport
    Yes, on the lower left corner.

Khris

12. Jan 24, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    tacoma08MZ

tacoma08MZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    tinted head/tail lights-blacked out badges-3 inch tuff country lift 33 inch nittos-black steelies custom spare bed mount-hilift-weathertechs-kenwood dnx5120 dvdnav headunit-remote start-painted grille surround-fog lights-grillcraft black mesh grille
  13. Jan 26, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Well folks I was gonna inquire about this exact head unit because Amazon has it for $500 for TODAY ONLY, sounds like a steal at $500! I do plan on getting a sub added in so when it's time for Marv's box and a sub and amp, I'll need the DNX 8120, but then I'll just put the 5120 in my girlfriends car and upgrade mine. Sounds like a win-win, anyone disagree? I've got 4 hours left to make my purchase!

Rob

14. Jan 26, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    G-Sak

G-Sak Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Offroad SR5 DC 6 speed
    FX-R Projector Retrofit with Apollo Shrouds, Digital HID 55 watt ballasts, D2S Philips 85122+ bulbs in the Winter and Digital HID 55w 5k bulbs in the summer, Bakflip G2, Pop N Lock, Tint, Grillcraft with PIAAs behind it, ScanguageII and a few audio/video upgrades.
    Sounds like a great plan! You will be happy with your decision. :)

15. Jan 26, 2009 at 8:29 PM
    nermalgod

nermalgod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    That's a heck of a buy, totally worth $500.

16. Jan 27, 2009 at 4:03 AM
    tacoma08MZ

tacoma08MZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    tinted head/tail lights-blacked out badges-3 inch tuff country lift 33 inch nittos-black steelies custom spare bed mount-hilift-weathertechs-kenwood dnx5120 dvdnav headunit-remote start-painted grille surround-fog lights-grillcraft black mesh grille
    hell yes! i payed 620 and it was a hell of a deal!

17. Jan 27, 2009 at 8:07 AM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Well I ordered it last night, thanks for the replies, I'm quite excited!

Thanks to G-Sak who recommended the Scosche Install Dash Kit! Besides the iPod cable from Kenwood, anyone recommend anything else? I'm also going to probably get the steering wheel controls and adapter to the XMSirius Antenna to complete the system.

Rob

18. Feb 15, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    nickj

nickj New Member

Member:
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Moto Metal 951's
    Crutchfield has the 5120 for $600 with a free Metra dash kit, wiring harness and free shipping. Also look online for the $20 off code. I just put mine in this weekend. When I compared the price and functionality to the 8120, I decided that I could live without the extras.

19. Feb 15, 2009 at 2:34 PM
    zero niner

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    And instructions too! Good deal, I'm still waiting for the other pieces of the system to begin my install, sure is killing me looking at that deck just sitting around...

Rob

20. Mar 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM
    Dale

Dale Member

Member:
    I am planning on installing a Kenwood 5120 in my 09 Access Cab. Will this head unit accommodate an external amp to power the two door speakers and a sub woofer? Thanks :confused:

To Top