1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ketogenic Diet

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by HomerTaco, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Sep 14, 2018 at 7:54 AM
    surfandturf

surfandturf Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD DCLB
    Forgot to mention that from her clients success it's all about balancing the macro nutrients in your diet..carbs/protien/fat all need to be in check and there are health benefits to consuming them all. Do that and this is what you get with a ~40min daily Hiit workout

IMG_41201.jpg

DubfromGA likes this.
  2. Sep 14, 2018 at 8:00 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    I have an autoimmune condition that screws up my thyroid and I have to say the biggest difference I have seen in my metabolic rate has been when I started lifting as a primary focus of my workouts.
    My TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) significantly raised when lifting vs when I used to be a runner.
    I used to do long distance races and ran 30-50 miles per week. I was probably close to 2200 cals per day to maintain. Now I’m obviously much higher.
    Adding lean mass and the high intensity of weight lifting made a mountain of a difference to me.

I love P90X and believe it or not workouts like that are keeping me from getting as big as I want lol.

Not sure how old you are but if you enjoy lifting, go to a gym with barbells, you may want to try a 5 main lift (squat, deadlift, bench, row, and overhead press) routine.
    Compound lifts burn a lot of cals.

3. Sep 14, 2018 at 8:02 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    What is her body fat there?

HIIT is also where its at. A simple 15 minute series of sprints will eat 500 cals while it would take about 1-1.5 hours on an eliltical session or 7 mile run to burn the same.

robssol likes this.
  4. Sep 14, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    Johnders

Johnders Spacer Lift Survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Access Cab Tacoma Base
    2" Lift , 265/75R16 tires, K& N filter, MBRP Exhaust
    I am 32 now, Gym is a tough commitment for me at this point in my life, with the family its hard to get away. I know many people do it just fine, just not really in the cards. I do have a Bench with lat pull down bar, leg extension etc and some assorted dumbbells. I can have a basic routine with what I have at home ( or add a few more items) but obviously not as ideal as a full gym.. Perhaps I should step up more in that area.

5. Sep 14, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    9B89EC60-A3A6-4808-93AF-E232CDCC39E9.jpg
    I started Keto/ Low Carb just after getting married because i decided I’d like to be around awhile for my new bride. Started a bit over 250 in April of 2016.
    9A8F3F5E-DB4B-4583-AC2E-837F0CA86B03.jpg
    My lowest was 172, though i haven’t been strict at all this entire summer (beer ain’t keto!!) and right now I’m mid 180’s. Biggest thing is I feel 100% better all the time and my stomach doesn’t ever hurt anymore.... seems the human body, at least mine, wasn’t designed to eat grains/ carbs. Stick with it. It gets much much easier.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    mallege, burntkat, DubfromGA and 9 others like this.
  6. Sep 14, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    Johnders

Johnders Spacer Lift Survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Access Cab Tacoma Base
    2" Lift , 265/75R16 tires, K& N filter, MBRP Exhaust
    Dang YOTA , nice work! That's basically where I am at (Again) 220 now hoping for 180 ish.. I hope Keto is the answer for me as well.. I think the tough part is finding something you can live with long term..

burntkat and YOTA 4X4 like this.
  7. Sep 14, 2018 at 8:12 AM
    surfandturf

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD DCLB
    No idea, its low. She's super disciplined with eating and getting in the daily workout.

She's 40!

She does online coaching, we both use online workout routines ...havent been to a gym in years. Anyone can do this at home. Coaching is best applied to the diet.
    She's takes 6 max clients a month if anyone is interested. Gets your nutrition set straight and you are on your way

PackCon[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Sep 14, 2018 at 8:15 AM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    Thanks. Only thing I changed with my activity level was I made sure to get 10k steps a day. Which is honestly pretty easy. At least in my line of work.

9. Sep 14, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Does she compete? Or this is all just for her and her passion.
    Thats low BF to maintain if she doesn’t compete. Hard to do that without that being a major motivation.

10. Sep 14, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    surfandturf

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD DCLB
    Follow a online hiit type routine for cardio at home. Only need maybe a 10ftx10ft space.

burntkat likes this.
  11. Sep 14, 2018 at 8:21 AM
    surfandturf

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD DCLB
    It's her passion, she has done 2 competitions over the last 4 years. She's now making it into a business. However, shes been in that shape for years prior to turning it into a biz.
    Instagram @grossie272002 for more info

12. Sep 14, 2018 at 1:07 PM
    FMRAV4

FMRAV4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Detroit, MI
    Vehicle:
    Dreaming
    I have a question about all this, does anyone here do cardio ? When I say cardio I mean like say 6-10 hours per week ?
    I am very interested in all this and also want to know does anyone here know anything about their heart's physical condition ? Numbers like cholesterol, ejection fraction, calcium scores and so on ?

Keto sounds fascinating to me and I am new to all this but would like to hear how you guys are doing. I have tried vegan and had a particularly good results with it like 6 years ago. But I gained a lot of weight back and am curious if there is a better way. For the record it took a boat load of stress and 5 years but I have gained back a lot of what I lost when I was vegan. I got lazy and the prep time went out the window for the foods I was making.

Greens are also supposed to be super good for your heart and when I was doing this I was averaging three days/week bicycle rides at 20 miles a pop.
    Can this level of activity be sustained on a keto diet ?

Any recommendations for keto info appreciated, Thanks!

13. Sep 14, 2018 at 1:18 PM
    dwphoto

dwphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    Big Toyota Guy
    I play ice hockey 1-3 times a week and try to get out on my mt bike every other week 10 - 15 mile rides. So KINDA?

The energy increase was substantial...from a endurance stand point.

That book that I linked as some great info regarding blood tests and the science behind it.

oh and 204lb today ! #Questfor199

FMRAV4[QUOTED] and HomerTaco[OP] like this.
  14. Sep 14, 2018 at 1:20 PM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    LISS cardio (low intensity steady state) is just fine for keto. You use body fat as a primary fuel source when doing this type of cardio, not glucose or glycogen (the stored form of carbohydrates in the muscles).

HIIT (High intensity interval training) uses glucose and glycogen as a fuel source. As does weight lifting.

You will see high intensity athletes do a variation of keto called keto cycling where they do 5-10 days keto followed by 1-2 days of high carb low fat dieting to replenish glycogen so they can maintain energy levels.

Keto is great for people who do a lot of cardio.

Contrary to popular belief, endurance athletes don’t need a lot of carbs.

DubfromGA and dwphoto like this.
  15. Sep 14, 2018 at 1:22 PM
    dwphoto

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    Big Toyota Guy
    Dropping knowledge :thumbsup:

burntkat and PackCon[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Sep 14, 2018 at 3:00 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I bike as often as I can. Average 15-20miles. It’s really my only excersize besides hiking.

FMRAV4[QUOTED] and uurx like this.
  17. Sep 14, 2018 at 4:04 PM
    THATCH11B

THATCH11B Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Limerick Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro - SOLD
    Mobtown sliders, bed extender, Extang Encore tonneau cover, Husky x-act fit mats, 3M FX Premium 25 tint, Bedrug mat, 255/85r16 ST MAXX’s, Rok Blokz, Rigid Industries 30 inch bumper mount and ditch lights, Subaru tweeter upgrade, MESO LED turn signal upgrade, TRD CAI, MESO LED map/dome, VLED’s exterior LED’s, Weathertech window vents, Redline struts, engine bay LED’s, seat spacer mod, 3x remote start, Mobtown CMC, Mobtown locking storage doors, Prinsu Cabrac, SPC UCA’s, ADS 2.5 remote reservoirs w/adjusters front /rear, 700 # springs, OME Dakar HD leafs, extended brake lines, u bolt flip, bump stops front(Plastic guy’s)/rear(Timbren), ECGS bushing, sway bar delete. Yotaled’s raptor light kit, Method Racing MR701’s, Rondo radio knobs
    Several years ago I was involved in a career ending accident at work. Suddenly I went from being very active to completely sedentary. Needless to say I packed on the pounds. In January I started keto and as of today I’ve lost 76 pounds without any type of workout. I love it because I don’t have to buy or subscribe to anything. I’ve really tried my best to make it a lifestyle.

Dan 77, DubfromGA, PackCon and 2 others like this.
  18. Sep 14, 2018 at 4:21 PM
    dwphoto

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    Big Toyota Guy
    Awesome, keep it up!

THATCH11B[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Sep 14, 2018 at 4:21 PM
    THATCH11B

THATCH11B Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Limerick Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro - SOLD
    Mobtown sliders, bed extender, Extang Encore tonneau cover, Husky x-act fit mats, 3M FX Premium 25 tint, Bedrug mat, 255/85r16 ST MAXX’s, Rok Blokz, Rigid Industries 30 inch bumper mount and ditch lights, Subaru tweeter upgrade, MESO LED turn signal upgrade, TRD CAI, MESO LED map/dome, VLED’s exterior LED’s, Weathertech window vents, Redline struts, engine bay LED’s, seat spacer mod, 3x remote start, Mobtown CMC, Mobtown locking storage doors, Prinsu Cabrac, SPC UCA’s, ADS 2.5 remote reservoirs w/adjusters front /rear, 700 # springs, OME Dakar HD leafs, extended brake lines, u bolt flip, bump stops front(Plastic guy’s)/rear(Timbren), ECGS bushing, sway bar delete. Yotaled’s raptor light kit, Method Racing MR701’s, Rondo radio knobs
    Thanks!:thumbsup:

20. Sep 14, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    Littles

Littles Stupid is as stupid does.

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Elizabeth, CO
    Vehicle:
    3 tons of fun
    I dropped 15 lbs in 6 weeks doing keto and intermittent fasting with an eating window from 4pm-8pm. 1 meal a day. I was running a mile in the morning and a mile in the afternoon with some light weight lifting. No more than 40 minutes of exercise, but I made sure to get 10K steps in daily. I pretty much just ate string cheese, bacon and eggs with avocado and cottage cheese everyday, and on active days a simple shake with peanut butter, almond/coconut milk, cacao, and keto protein powder. It got boring after awhile and I'm off the diet and exercise now. I’m back to drinking beer again and eating carbs, but have kept the weight off with intermittent fasting and not eating pizza and cheesesteaks 3 days a week.

What I really liked at keto and intermittent fasting is that i only had to plan 1 meal a day, which was basically bacon and eggs, my favorite breakfast!

burntkat and HomerTaco[OP] like this.
To Top