1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ketogenic Diet

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by HomerTaco, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Nov 12, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Spoken like someone who has never run.

It takes skill, dedication, focus, and perserverance like any sport.

In fact since so many people are so resistant to it... kind of indicates it takes more.

And running in general doesn’t take a toll on the body. The pounding improves bone density and cartilage strength. Moderate runners are less likely to experience arthritis.

2. Nov 12, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    pdxptw

pdxptw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO 6M
    I did the keto diet for the last year and a half.

The hardest part I found was balancing out the diet to make sure I was getting the right nutrients.

My wife works at a big meal kit delivery co and they came out with a keto plan. That was the game changer. Instead of guessing what we should be eating we got meal kits for a month and learned how to create balanced meals through their recipes.

Then we just tried to copy and alter the recipes for variety.

I didnt notice a ton of weight loss or gain, but I did notice there was a bunch more sodium in the foods we were making. I just tried to keep the sodium down and the hydration levels up and it seemed to work out ok.

I ate my first pancake in 18 months last week and it was insanely good.

We now try to eat mostly keto, but balance in some healthy grains here and there and the occasional pancake because cake for breakfast....

burntkat, bvbull200 and HomerTaco[OP] like this.
  3. Nov 12, 2018 at 12:49 PM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    I’m the same with racing. I gave up hopes of ever qualifying for Boston years ago (after my first marathon took 5 hours).
    Plus hard to get to the point where you can bench 315 and deadlift 500 and run a sub 4 hour marathon... conflicting goals lol.

If I run its for enjoyment not to break records.

I did here recently run my very first sub 7 minute mile without dying. So :humble:

Never thought that was going to happen.

Good luck to you figuring out how to make it through and improve the tolorance of your long runs.
    Forcing yourself to finish a crappy run just sucks.

bvbull200[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Nov 12, 2018 at 12:54 PM
    I started keto about two months ago. I went from 224 to now 199.8. I do not balance my diet I only take Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium supplement and thats it. I will also break ketosis atleast once every two weeks to enjoy myself. When I first started I had keto flu for about three days and it sucked big time, but I have noticed I wont have the keto flu for more than six hours now.

I also did some road biking(too cold for me to do it now) and got major cramps when on keto. I added the supplements to help relieve the cramping.

Also Coke Zero and Sprite Zero are the only reason I can do this diet.

bvbull200 and HomerTaco[OP] like this.
  5. Nov 12, 2018 at 5:35 PM
    bigfoote13

bigfoote13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD SPORT
    2016 Sport suspension 1/2 spacer up front and aal in rear SCS Stealth 6 17 inch wheels Wildpeak AT3 265 70 17
    It indicates that it lacks excitement. Running was party of my career at a younger age and it does take a toll on your body just like any sport (just with out the fun)

burntkat likes this.
  6. Nov 13, 2018 at 5:33 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Exactly why I like it.
    I have a high stress career. I don’t need a high stress hobby to go with it. I like that I can throw on my ear buds and have an hour or a few to myself.

I workout to reduce stress, not increase it lol

I’m not sure why that means running is inferior to other types of exercise. Or less skill.

bvbull200 likes this.
  7. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:11 AM
    bigfoote13

bigfoote13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD SPORT
    2016 Sport suspension 1/2 spacer up front and aal in rear SCS Stealth 6 17 inch wheels Wildpeak AT3 265 70 17
    Most unskilled people can run if they choose too. Most cannot hit a moving ball or non- moving ball, tackle a runner, run and kick a soccer ball.

8. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:22 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco [OP] also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Not sure where the exercise debate came in but this thread is really based on that diet topic....

On that topic: I had my first cheesesteak in a few months on Friday night and what is generally not considered following a low carb diet over the weekend.

Flat 200 this morning :cool:

bvbull200, jubei and PackCon like this.
  9. Nov 13, 2018 at 6:39 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Ok I get it running is beneath you.

bvbull200 and bigfoote13[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Nov 14, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    bvbull200

bvbull200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5 Prerunner Texas Edition
    Fresh wiper fluid
    Yes they can - just with varying degrees of success. Kind of like running ;).

11. Nov 14, 2018 at 12:43 PM
    bvbull200

bvbull200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5 Prerunner Texas Edition
    Fresh wiper fluid
    I've been stalled for a few days. Kind of frustrating. Nothing remotely close to cheating over that time frame, too, and it has included a fair bit of exercise. I'm not understanding the physics of it, even, given how modest my meal sizes are. I'm not slamming calories or anything. My keto diet includes being cognizant of how many calories I'm taking in, so I should keep burning more than I'm consuming.

Oh well. I'll stay at it. Hopefully I'll kick it in to gear here shortly. Down to 210 at the moment with 200 being the goal. Given how I was originally going, I thought that could be acheived by Thanksgiving, but it doesn't appear to be in the cards right now.

HomerTaco[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  12. Nov 14, 2018 at 1:13 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I hit a few times over the past couple months where I just kinda stalled out on the scale. I just kept at it. :thumbsup:

jubei and bvbull200[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Dec 7, 2018 at 3:14 PM
    dwphoto

dwphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    Big Toyota Guy
    bumpity! how we looking folks?
    Holding that 197lb
    Had to pick up all new clothes. Was starting to look like Criss-cross.. New jeans size 32! from 36-38

Pretty stoked!

14. Dec 7, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    awesome!

burntkat and dwphoto[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Dec 7, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I'm holding at 199.8 after some decidedly NON keto meals over the past holiday... :oops:

Still down over 24lbs from Sept. & very pleased with that.

I'd like to hit 195 by my birthday in January. :oops:

16. Dec 8, 2018 at 7:06 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Granted, we are having a Tacoma Cheesesteak Meet here in Philly today which will blow keto out the door. :oops:

Crodell6 likes this.
  17. Dec 8, 2018 at 12:33 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    Keto breaklunch
    5 grams for each of us :rofl:am I doing this right?
    20181208_113049.jpg 20181208_120043.jpg

memario1214 and Kanyon71 like this.
  18. Dec 8, 2018 at 6:46 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Looks correct to me. :thumbsup:

19. Dec 8, 2018 at 7:05 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    Thanks, it's all pretty new to me.
    Haven't been hungry since that meal :rofl:
    Just had a cup of coffee, and think I might be good for the day.

This diet is really mindblowing

burntkat likes this.
  20. Dec 8, 2018 at 7:08 PM
    hyper15125

hyper15125 Headlight Retrofitting Hobbyist Vendor

Member:
    NJ (609)
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 Taco,‘22 Hybridlander
    Cheesesteaks arent Keto @HomerTaco :D

Yes, im jealous I couldnt make it.

inwood customs likes this.