1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Key code on passengers door lock cylinder?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Yennek, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Dec 9, 2010 at 1:00 AM
    Yennek

Yennek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 x-cab 4x4 V6
    I just bought a '99 where the previous owners only had one key and it's like a 4th generation copy and I can't get a working copy made of it. When I had this problem on my '85 MR2 and my '88 Toyota P/U, the key code was stamped on the side of the passengers door lock cylinder. Before I go tearing my door apart I just want to make sure Toyota still did this. Or is there some other easier way for getting a new cut to code key for these trucks?

Thanks!

(sorry if this is already out on the forums somewhere, I tried searching for it but came up empty.)

2. Dec 9, 2010 at 1:03 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Assuming it has not been re-keyed, take the VIN and proof of current ownership (title, most likely) to a dealership and have a new key cut.

3. Dec 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    Yennek

Yennek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 x-cab 4x4 V6
    Oh, cool, I guess I didn't realize they kept those kinds of records. Guess I'll be calling a dealership when I get the title from the state in a couple weeks.

4. Dec 10, 2010 at 1:20 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've never heard of an expiration date for how long they keep the key codes...though I only know of a handful of people who have had it done, and most of them were newer cars.

I would assume they are still available...a quick call to the dealership parts/service department should answer that for you.

To Top