1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Key Stuck in Ignition

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 99pr300k, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:06 AM
    99pr300k

99pr300k [OP] New Member

Member:
    Tarpon Springs, FL.
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner
    I have a 99 Prerunner 2.7L with automatic trans. Recently, I have been unable to turn the key off after placing it in park. I know there must be a switch on the trans or somewhere, just wanted to know if anyone has had this problem. After putting it in gear and back to park several times, I am finally able to get it to work. May be running out of time.
    7/15/09- Specifically, when turning engine off the key will not turn to LOCK position and remain on ACC. I noticed that when I press on the brake when its working I hear a clicking noise from the shift console area - no click= no lock. Sounds like a switch intermittently failing. Any ideas?

2. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:21 AM
    99pr300k

99pr300k [OP] New Member

Member:
    Tarpon Springs, FL.
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner
    Over time the pivot tube at the base of the shifter becomes loose. This causes a pin mounted on the locking button on the shifter to disengage from a switch at the base of the shifter.
    IMAGE_012.jpg
    When the switch is activated it allows the ignition to lock only when the shifter is in the park position. The play in the shifter causes the pin to slide behind the switch which in turn no longer activates the switch.
    IMAGE_014.jpg
    I used the plastic you find on those packages you can never open to create a shim between the pivot bolt and tube (Sunday no parts). Then I carefully bent the switch mounting bracket to take up any slack that may have been cause by the wobble. Orange dot shows the pin now engaged with the switch.
    IMAGE_013.jpg
    Hope this helps someone like me at the gas station with the key stuck in the ignition and no spare to open the gas tank door. Sorry first attempt at posting. Here goes nothing....

3. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    Welcome to TW!

Nice Write-up. Good job. :thumbsup:

To Top