1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keyless and Power Locks Fubared!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by coldsmoke, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    coldsmoke

coldsmoke [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Just bought a used '05 DC TRD Sport - came with keyless and I would assume power locks. I say assume, cuz they don't currently work. I know the remote works cuz I tested it at Cambodian Tire (Canadian Tire) and it sends a signal.

I can manually lock each door inside via the orange lock tab, but if I lock the driver's door the rest of the doors have to be locked manually. No power me thinks.

I checked the fuse, check - checked the terminals in the fuse box, check. Now going up the door switch and pulling out there male plug out of it there are lots of wire (some for the door lock and some for the four windows it controls. Anybody know what colour wire(s) deal with the door locks?

Also, I unplugged the door actuator but again, lots of wires. If the door actuator was pooched on the driver's door would that cause the other 3 doors not to receive a signal that is needed to open them (locks)? Crystal?

I went to dealer and was told the driver's junction block was dead (only the door lock circuit) and it would cost @ $1000?!?! I can lock doors manually for along time for that kind of cash. I did check the lead in the block (fuse box), and it does have power. Not sure how changing that would fix things...

Any way to test/check the actuator? I'm also reading online about the ECM/ECU controlling the doors, but it's not clear to me.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks in advance.

2. Aug 3, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    coldsmoke

coldsmoke [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Anybody? C'mon you guys do more than change your oil and armour all your dash right?

3. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    silver taco

silver taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
    I would pop open both doors and make sure the wire connections are all plugged in tight. If there is one loose connection, none of them will work.

4. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    kanaka808

kanaka808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    henderson
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 sport
    if there isnt a main relay/module for the power locks then its probably the driver door actuator.. usaully they put every thing in the drivers door actuator.. i would buy the part from toyota and plug it in real fast just to test.. atleast if it doesnt work you can return it just dont damage the box when your opening it

5. Aug 4, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Wiring manual can be found here:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/

My bet is the dealer's giving you a high estimate 'cause chasing down electrical problems is a major PITA and you already hit the obvious with the fuses. The second reason is they aren't gonna do things you can do like run a wire in parallel to an existing harness if it's burned or cut somewhere; the dealer probably would replace the harness completely. This could be true with something like a junction block too.

I don't think this is a common problem so any ideas you get are most likely wag's. So pull out the meter and discover why the dealer wants $1000 for it.

Also: be wary of buying parts to troubleshoot with: it's is a real rarity to find a place that doesn't tell you 'all sales final' with electrical parts.

6. Aug 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    chaddawkins

chaddawkins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    there might be something you can glean from this thread

To Top