1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

keyless lock problems

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dirtrider44mag, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Mar 15, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    dirtrider44mag

dirtrider44mag [OP] Member

Member:
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    99 Stock crewcab
    :mad: Driver door lock has a tendency to lock by itself when the door handle is pulled, after using remote opener. Keyless is aftermarket by Automate. This is extremely frustrating as it locks when I try to open the door after using remote. Took it apart but found......nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Mar 16, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    Turp

Turp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    K&N panel/ snorkel removed Keyless
    It could be a bad key fob or system brain. I would first try another fob if you have one. If this doesn't work you might consider replacing the Automate brain with a new unit, if it didn't cost too much, because you can just plug in the new brain. Alternatively, you can get a Autiovox keyless entry system for about $25.

I tried looking up wiring for the Automate but didn't find any readily available. If the system was installed in the traditional location, driver kick panel, the install is pretty easy. And, easier for yours since you probably have the wire taps already made for the Automate.

There is a sticky here for performing the install.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...llation-aftermarket-keyless-entry-system.html

3. Mar 16, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    By any chance are you waiting before you open the door? Some keyless systems will re lock the door after a set amount of time if the door is not opened.

4. Mar 16, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    dirtrider44mag

Member:
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    99 Stock crewcab
    Turp- It's not that the lock is locking by way of the keyless mechanism, as the lock does stay up. But as I lift the handle the lock pulls down, as if the handle itself is locking the door. It seems that the lock mechanism is not pushing the knob up far enough....hell I don't know... oh, by the way, the remote also controls the alarm.

5. Mar 16, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    dirtrider44mag

Member:
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    99 Stock crewcab
    Rob- No the lock is not "automatically" locking, but it is only when I lift the handle does the lock pull down and lock itself. It also appears that the keyless is not pushing the knob up high enough. I'm not really sure, as you know it's very hard to get a look at the interior of the door. So I can't really tell what's going on inside. thx

6. Mar 20, 2011 at 2:21 AM
    dirtrider44mag

Member:
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    99 Stock crewcab
    So it turns out that the keyless entry unit was not the culprit in the door locking by itself. I disconnected the actuator and found the problem still existing. Removed lock and handle mechanism and noticed a small piece seemingly bent where it should not be. Straightened the piece and lubed whole assembly with chain lube used for my motorcycle. Reinstalled and problem solved. Door working better than ever. Thanks for all your input.

7. Mar 20, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    Mr.Fahrenheit

Mr.Fahrenheit Dennis = sinneD

Member:
    American Canyon, California
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4L 5spd TRD
    K&N CAI, HUSKY LINERS, LOW PRO TOOL BOX, GRAY WIRE MOD, OPTIMA RED TOP, GOODRIDGE STEEL BRAKE LINES, FAB TECH LIFT,
    same shit with my door. very annoying, just havent had time to open her up. thanks for the heads up

To Top