1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

kind of an interesting little discovery

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dsds, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Nov 11, 2008 at 10:59 PM
    dsds

dsds [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC TRD Sport - Black Sand Pearl
    TacomaWorld sticker, DRL mod, running boards, roof rack, remote start / security alarm, marker/turn signal mod, map light with dome light mod, TRD seat covers, rear spring TSB
    Greetings!
    So the weather has been cold enough that you can see your breath around here. That's good enough reason to start up the truck with the remote starter to see if it still works.

After a few minutes I went to open the door with my key (yep, that's right, I have to use my key to open the door because of the settings on my remote starter) and I felt a rush of air coming out of the handle pull near the key hole. WTF was my first thought. So I checked all the door handles and sure enough, all have enough air blowing out that you definitely can feel it and that is with the fan on the lowest setting. Cool.

Do you think this leaking air is intentional to maybe dry out moisture in the door? send air to the lock to keep if from freezing, or just a bit of differential pressure that's gotta sneak out somewhere because of poor design or great design?

Pretty quiet Veterans/Remembrance Day so I figured someone else might want to read about this little discovery and rush out to feel the rush.

Also, one year anniversary for my Taco. Luv it lots.

2. Nov 12, 2008 at 5:38 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Interesting find. I would guess, it acts as a relief point/valve. The fan should not continue to pressurize the cab as the static pressure will continue to increase and eventually will give or rupture at a weak point, such as pop a glued on window. This happens in office buildings when static pressure goes out of control causing windows to pop (very rare), doors to be held open by positive pressure or difficulty in opening doors due to negative pressure. I've seen cars with tiny grills in the back or trunk to prevent over pressurization. Toyota MAY be using ports in the door handles to stabilize cab pressure due to the lack of a trunk.

3. Nov 12, 2008 at 8:23 AM
    camsbored

camsbored Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/Sport/LB
    Kenwood DNX8120, Homelink mirror, Valentine One hardwire
    I noticed this too!

for me it was on hot days when the engine and A/C was running. I could feel the cool air rushing out onto my hands when I pulled the handle. I guess I never really thought it was that way on purpose... but that sounds plausible too.

4. Nov 12, 2008 at 9:21 AM
    Frints

Frints Member

Member:
    Interesting, I bet it wasn’t like this on the 1st Generation model. I had a ’99 & unless the window was slightly open you really had to slam the door for it to shut all the way, the truck was unbelievably airtight. But on my 2nd Gen. the door close really easy with the window’s up.

5. Nov 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    There are vents on the back of my 1st gen extended cab, between the cab and bed, down low. They have the one-way rubber flaps on them. Not sure where they open up to inside the cab.

6. Nov 12, 2008 at 1:07 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    Haven't taken a door skin off the taco yet, but my old Chebby has rubber flaps in the door to relieve pressure when you slam them. I bet there are also relief vents on or near the rear of the cab wall someplace.

7. Nov 12, 2008 at 1:21 PM
    DevilsChild

DevilsChild Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    In your head
    Usually into the body cavity or frame.

8. Nov 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM
    ldm

ldm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Black Diamond, WA.
    Vehicle:
    08' TRD Off-Road SR5
    ScanGaugeII, Undercover Tonneau
    Sounds like a great little way to help drive out moisture, defrost the lock and handle mechanism as well as relieve pressure. Brilliant!

9. Nov 12, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    Those vents at the back of the cab and other designed outlets are there for air circulation but more importantly for the airbag system. Just think of what your body and your head would go through when that bag goes off. You have to displace the air somehow. You're head would implode, your eyes and ears would take the big hit of pressure. You might survive the crash but it wouldn't be pretty.

I've had trucks for years and they all blew/leaked air out of the locks. Air Pressure is a science all in itself.

10. Nov 12, 2008 at 6:33 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    I'd have never thought of that. Good info.

11. Nov 12, 2008 at 9:48 PM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    whats sad (well, stupid.) is that my beat up 99 TJ has those vents on the rear door...
    why it needs them i dont know. even with a hardtop on there are at least 4 places(where the upper glass hits the gate, and the "defogger" vents behind the windows) you can stick ballpoint pens through. they arent air tight in the slightest.

the fact that the taco cabin seals so well only makes me wish i had my taco NOW!!!

12. Nov 13, 2008 at 12:06 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Tacoma offroad armor fabricating beast Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Eastern side of the Sierras: Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4> 03 SR5 4x4 total> 14 Crewmax TRD
    Had tons on the old Taco's.... new Tundra is pretty stock
    i noticed this a while back but didnt put a lot of thought into it. all of the theories seem plausible to me though.

To Top