1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

King Coilover Help

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by G59, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Aug 1, 2019 at 9:29 AM
    G59

G59 [OP] Stock af

Member:
    First Name:
    Torres
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    03’ Long Travel DC
    hey guys. I recently installed my Camburg LT kit on my first gen and I’m currently in the process of getting the alignment straight enough to drive to the shop for an accurate alignment.

I want to adjust my front King coilovers a little to give me some more ride height up front. My question is, should this be done BEFORE the alignment? Or does adjusting the height of the shocks not matter to the alignment?

Sorry if this is a dumb question lol I’m still kind of new to the way alignments work.

Thanks in advance fellas :cheers:

2. Aug 1, 2019 at 10:58 AM
    motoxscott

motoxscott Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Socal -> Hurricane, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra - 2008 Tacoma
    Camburg, FOX, Method, General Tire, Deaver
    Toyota's are hyper sensitive to ride height changes so set your ride height before getting it aligned. Adjusting it later will change the alignment specs.

Scott @ Camburg

3. Aug 1, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    motoxscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Socal -> Hurricane, UT
    Vehicle:
    Go for max positive caster, set camber 0 to 1/4 degree negative and set toe to factory specs.

4. Aug 1, 2019 at 11:02 AM
    G59

G59 [OP] Stock af

Member:
    First Name:
    Torres
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    03’ Long Travel DC
    Awesome will do, thanks a million for the input!

motoxscott[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Aug 6, 2019 at 5:30 AM
    Armament

Armament Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Double can 4wd
    Full Camburg LT front suspension, King coil overs, Rough Country spindles, King 2.5 reservoir rear shocks, OME Dakar spring packs, T100 E-locked rear axle, 35x12.5x17 tires, Fiberworx fenders and bedsides.
    Speaking of Scott at Camburg, you sent me those specs for my LT kit. I’ve had two shops now “align” it. It at least drives better now but I’m still getting uneaten tire wear. And my front LCA cams are pointed different directions. Not sure if this is normal. Just doesn’t seem like any shops really want to mess with these trucks. It’s like there’s no shops good enough to just set it correctly without trying hitting all the factory numbers. Very frustrating.....

6. Aug 6, 2019 at 9:35 AM
    motoxscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Socal -> Hurricane, UT
    Vehicle:
    @Armament What are your alignment specs now? What kind of tire wear are you getting? Have you tried rotating your tires? What about tire pressure? Your alignment cams setting will be different side to side because you typically do a caster split to compensate for the crown of the road since it's not perfectly flat. We setup the passenger side with .25-.5 more positive caster.

The main aspects that effect tire wear is camber, toe and tire pressure.

Scott @ Camburg

7. Aug 6, 2019 at 12:41 PM
    Armament

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Full Camburg LT front suspension, King coil overs, Rough Country spindles, King 2.5 reservoir rear shocks, OME Dakar spring packs, T100 E-locked rear axle, 35x12.5x17 tires, Fiberworx fenders and bedsides.

Apparently they are right we’re you told me to put them. But my right front tire still has a bout a 1” section of tread on the inside that doesn’t touch. My left side tire has great, even wear. Maybe I’m stupid. But I can’t for the life of me figure out how I can have negative camber, and still have a 1” section of tire on the inside, that doesn’t even touch? Yet, my left front “supposedly” has the exact same camber setting now and has perfect wear letters? Both running the same pressure (30psi)? He said he was able to get all the numbers right that you provided. But after a quick drive through some mud, then highway back home, Ray Charles could see there’s absolutely no tread contact on the inside tread on my right front. Yet, it’s “the same” as the left. The left has perfect tread wear....

8. Aug 6, 2019 at 7:17 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    G59[OP] likes this.
  9. Aug 7, 2019 at 5:32 AM
    Armament

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    @motoxscott when I get back into the US I’ll email you some details and the alignment sheet, which I’m assuming is BS now as tread wear says otherwise. Why is it so hard for a shop that does nothing but alignments to do it right! Anyway, thank you and I’ll get with you next week

G59[OP] likes this.
  10. Aug 7, 2019 at 12:31 PM
    motoxscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Socal -> Hurricane, UT
    Vehicle:
    @Armament Like you said if specs were the same, tire wear should be about the same. Maybe try swapping the tires and try the mud test again. You wonder if the tire has a different crown to it or something. Maybe look at the tire ID info and see if they are from the same production date/batch.

Scott

Products Discussed in

To Top