1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

king vs. icon vs. fox racing coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SoCalTacos, Feb 10, 2012.

?

Coilover Preference?

1. Fox Racing

227 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Icon

291 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. King

341 vote(s)
    37.6%
  4. ADS

49 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Mar 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
  2. Mar 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    icon_rep

icon_rep ICON Vehicle Dynamics Vendor

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    [FONT=&quot]Little delay....been out at Tierra Del Sol and catching up, but here is some of what has been asked and working on more for you all. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    What sets ICON apart from King and Fox and why some people believe it is what makes ICON one of the best out there:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]ICON Builds shocks specifically for street vehicles, which has been our "bread and butter" business since day one. It is what we do and there are many people out there using ICON suspension because it is a good product. Our product is not cheap, it is more expensive than most other shocks, not because we are gouging and trying to get every penny we can but because the cost of our shocks is greater than most other manufacturers.
    [FONT=&quot]
    Quality of Components and Materials:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ICON uses similar materials as the other shock companies out there: 6061 Aluminum, 7075 Aluminum, 1026 DOM Honed Tubing etc. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] - Floating Piston - 6061 Aluminum [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] -Two Piece Main Piston - 6061 Aluminum. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] -Reservoirs - 6063 Aluminum - Clear Anodized[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - Valve Shims - Sandvik 20C[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] -Seals & O-Rings - Urethane, Viton, Nitrile, etc…from all manufacturers: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] SKF, Disogrin, Parker, Trelleborg etc.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Appearance[/FONT]: In my opinion and I would think many others, our shocks not only look great but are different in appearance from most other shocks out there. It is the little details that we include where you would normally have to pay extra at other manufactures, like polished Rod Ends, Polished Top Caps, Black anodized components etc. that puts a nice final touch on the product.
    [FONT=&quot]
    Special Features:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Our shocks are designed to be more space efficient than most other shocks on the market, meaning more travel in less space.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The two piece billet piston allows a two face digressive design without using a casting or powdered metal piston. The advantage of a digressive piston is the wide range of tune-ablity at lower shaft speeds that is not available with the industry standard linear piston. What does this translate to? Less body roll and increased stability which is why we feel we are second to none in ride control when it comes to large mono-tube shock absorbers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are cases where a linear piston has advantages and ICON has linear piston designs that are used in certain applications but for the majority of ICON applications we feel the two piece digressive piston is the key to ICON’s exceptional ride and handling.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Our "Bumpzone" option is featured on all of our Piggyback Reservoir Applications and an option on Remote Reservoir Applications. The last two inches (on most applications) of compression travel will have a 20% increase in compression damping which assists in bottom out control. No other shock manufacturer offers this as a standard feature.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Our Swivel Manifold option assists in positioning a shocks reservoir in compact spaces and is adjustable after purchase if need be. This not only looks awesome, it sets ICON apart from anything out there...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Maintenance: ICON shocks are not difficult to rebuild if you have rebuilt shocks before. Setting piston depths and oiling the shocks is no different than any other shock on the market.. ICON has a couple techniques to make the job easier, but anyone who knows shocks will have their own tricks. Any ICON customer is encouraged to call and ask for a technical representative to learn the tricks if they desire.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] As far as tools go, you may not be able to rebuild it completely using a crescent wrench but with a spanner wrench, a pick, and a rubber mallet the job can be completed professionally in a simple garage vise. Charging the shock requires a nitrogen tank with the appropriate fill tool available from ICON or a standard air chuck. ICON uses charge ports on all non reservoir shocks for their very low profile and superior seal-ability to that of a standard tank valve. Standard tank valves are offered on remote reservoir applications but can also be added to non reservoir applications by request. Both valves can be purchased at any time through ICON.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ICON’s CDC (Compression Damping Control) Valve: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The CDC Piston and valving are tune-able for whatever application it is being installed on. What does this mean? This means ICON can tune a shock with a CDC valve that can go firmer or softer than a shock that is not equipped with a CDC Valve. An external adjuster works via oil flow restriction and ICON’s CDC Valve is tuned in two ways. The first is the knob itself which controls a bleed barrel controlling how much oil can flow into the reservoir before reaching a certain blow off pressure pressure, After a certain pressure is reached the piston inside the CDC Valve assembly has a valve stack matched to the specific application and that valve stack will open up letting the oil bypass the bleed barrel and flow into the reservoir. On rebound the flow is checked and flows freely back to the shock cylinder as the shaft extends. If flow was limited on rebound it would starve the shock causing a vacuum and cavitation occurs. Adding a compression adjuster to any shock without changing the baseline valving on the working piston will make the shock stiffer, even on the softest setting. ICON’s CDC Valve equipped shocks have a different valve code than a non CDC Valve shock, they also require less nitrogen pressure since pressure is built at the CDC Valve. Why is ICON’s CDC Valve so great? The internal tuning (blow off pressure) is matched to the application based on vehicle weight, motion ratio and shock shaft size. Why would you want the same CDC Valve valving on a Tacoma front coilover that goes on a Ford Superduty front shock? You don’t - but if you buy brand XYZ compression adjuster upgrade do they ask you anything about your application other than shock size or do they just collect your money and say thanks? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Serial Numbers:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Our shocks are serialized to track revision, seals used, valving, all the way down to which one of our technicians assembled and packaged the shock. This aids in future customer service or warranty claims and helps the end user identify what they have.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ICON products are 100% designed, manufactured and assembled in the USA. ICON and its sister companies make 95% of the parts that go into an ICON packaged good in Riverside, CA. ICON. Since the majority of ICON products are made local, it is easy to control quality, handling and delivery. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] All this back and forth does feel a little like the 3rd Degree. We at ICON understand completely of wanting to know as much about a product as possible before buying it, and not just getting the wink and the gun salesman sayings it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. There are many shock companies out there, more and more each year, and details like this get lost in the mix of all the chatter back and forth.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The ICON difference is we sell performance suspension packages that are tailor made and designed in conjunction with other vehicle specific suspension components, not just shocks that fit the lengths required. There are fabrication experts making components and shock experts making shocks, ICON does both as a performance suspension and shock manufacturer. We have a great engineering staff that is not just book smart, but are avid offroad enthusiast that are involved with real life experiences. Another important fact to keep in mind is that a vehicles ride is subjective, features are not, and ICON suspension systems across the board are hands down comprised of more individual features that work together in unison than any other brand. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I hope the info helps and is a start to what you all are after.....I will work with the team here to keep it up.
    [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  3. Mar 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    This is the key. All of the stuff you mentioned really pertains to street driving. Once you go full off road on a vehicle the "base" valving isnt going to be spot on anyway, most people valve based on terrain and driving style, not just weight and size. My shocks were made to fit correctly so I don't get benefits from swivel parts, I am a believer of progressive over digressive, and I have bump stops so I don't need a bump zone in my shock. My shocks come apart with simple tools too so no gain there. Sorry I just don't see anything that makes them worth being "more expensive than most other shocks", but that is my opinion

4. Mar 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    As I said before King could come and try to sell me on why their bump stops are so expensive and I would argue that they are not worth it too. Bussinesses are entitled to their own opinion, as are consumers

5. Mar 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    icon_rep

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Hey guys... sorry to confuse you with the different icon rep here... I had the name first! I'll make sure to kick Brad later... HA!

I think most people would understand what we mean by "Street Vehicles"... Tacoma's, Tundra's, Ford Super Duty's etc.

ICON is more familiar with the dynamics of these types of vehicles, and how to maximize their performance on and off-road, this is what we do.

Cr250jumper - I completely agree on your statement regarding people's opinions, to each his own.

6. Mar 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    No worries, and I'm not knocking you guys. I didnt mean "street" as in a low rider or something, just more of a DD type truck that does a lot of driving on the street. Now I DD my truck everyday, but I am a dumbass :p

7. Mar 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    jjhitchen

jjhitchen Relentless

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 V6
    100% stock Tacoma
    Icon FTW

8. Mar 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    icon_rep

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    No offense taken.. just with forums its tough sometime to get your point across without it being taken the wrong way.

Most of these points everyone is making are valid and we (ICON) need to get more solid information out to everyone.

Our marketing team has a pretty full plate but we are doing our best to put as much info together as possible.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

9. Mar 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Icon rep(s)

Thanks for coming in and explaining. I think bits great to hear from employees of the companies. It would be awesome if reps from King, Fox, and Radflo took the time to do that.

Me personally, Icon has earned my business both now and in the future. Brad has been very helpful and quick to respond to questions and inquiries that I have had.

10. Mar 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    all I gotta say is I don't see any King or Fox reps in here giving info like this...that, right there, speaks volumes. ICON FTW

61ragtop likes this.
  11. Mar 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Well honestly all of that type of info is posted on Kings website for everyone to access lol

12. Mar 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    I think he is just saying you would have to call King to talk to someone where Icon took the time to make account(s) on this forum to talk to us on here

13. Mar 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    ^^^ this...thanks for clarifying...apparently I communicate thoughts like an incoherent 12 year old.

14. Mar 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Thanks Icon.......fuck it, I love mine and don't think their coilovers are more expensive than others?

15. Mar 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    I've enjoyed reading this thread and will be installing my Icon Extended Travel coilovers and tubular UCAs this weekend. Did the rear last weekend. I'll also disassemble and grease my LCA alignment cam assemblies while I have things relaxed so they hopefully don't seize on me someday.

16. Mar 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    Bubbarr

Bubbarr Monkey Sweat

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    SD
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road 4X4
    DynoLock Auto tailgate lock, 16" Konig Counter steer Off roads, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2.5 King front and rear with remote reservoir, Built Right UCA, Deaver 3 pack, SD Truck Shop Custom Sliders.
    I went king all around. My boy went Icon on his FJ and they just dont feel as smooth through the whoops at high speed. Just my 2 cents.

17. Mar 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos [OP] Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    There could be a million different reasons for that...not just the shock he's running. I have kings as well, and love em.
    But I was a bit jealous when I saw icons white 2012 at Pomona. I drooled a little.

18. Mar 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    I love my kings up front, and love my fox's in the rear :cool:

Tridet167 likes this.
  19. Mar 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    You put a fox in the rear?? Ouch! ;)

I'm happy your Kings are running smoother for you! :yay:

20. Mar 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    It was such a relief, it drove me nuts how bouncy the ride was. I wonder how they will be offroad, i know it will be better crawling for sure

To Top