1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

king vs. icon vs. fox racing coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by SoCalTacos, Feb 10, 2012.

?

Coilover Preference?

1. Fox Racing

227 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Icon

291 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. King

341 vote(s)
    37.6%
  4. ADS

49 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Jan 17, 2017 at 12:08 PM
    roadrashchic

roadrashchic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black TRD Sport double cab
    Engine: K&N filter CAI Suspension: KING 2.5" Rem. Res. Ext. Travel Coilover w/Comp Adj (front and rear). Total Chaos Uni-Ball UCA’s and Deaver J66 1.5" Rear Leaf Pack. Tires: 285/75/16 BFG KO2's FUEL WHEELS D525 REVOLVER MATTE BLACK AND MILLED Exterior: Pelfreybilt sliders and hybrid front bumper/skid Front-runner Roof Rack, slim-line II, bed rack, tent, and 3 INCH LED 16W FLOOD LAMPS, (mounted to the hood via rentlentless fabrication mounts.) WishList: (pending soon..) bushwacker fender flares 40" LED bar winch rear high clearance bumper bigger tent with higher bed rack
    ok gentlemen... I really don't want to mix and match parts... I was hoping for a kit... I've been warned about Icon from two friends (shrugs)... otherwise I would go with stage 4 icon kit... however I'm a big fan of the Kings, I wish they would provide a kit with and AAL...

I took a look at the OME bp51, I'm very intrigued!

http://www.polyperformance.com/old-...METAC16BP51B&gclid=CNTSyrz8ydECFROUfgodEjsEyg

has anyone tested them on here yet?

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Jan 17, 2017 at 1:19 PM
    CountryDan

CountryDan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Calhoun GA
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD PRO DCSB 6 spd
    a lot of bad ass stuff
    check out downsouthmotorsports.com
    They offer a build yourself mid travel kit. Just pick the brand you want, and go from there. It also gives you choice of doing a new leaf pack, aal, or nothing in that regards.

3. Jan 17, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    Arcticelf

Arcticelf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gladiator
    That seems pricey for a set of shocks and a rear leaf pack.

Take a look at my build as an example of a MT 'kit':
    UCA and LCA from Dirt King (or TC if you like silver better)
    Dakar Leaf Pack (or AllPro standard or Expo, depends on weight)
    Fox, Icon or King extended travel shocks in all four corners (I went with Icon).

Here's a link to the DSM 'kit builder', not sure if my choices will show up:

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-9...-1.html#!year=2013||make=TOYOTA||model=TACOMA

roadrashchic[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 17, 2017 at 7:15 PM
    mrbedgood

mrbedgood Isaiah 6:8

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    Total Chaos +2" Long Travel Kit; King/TC 2.5 LT C/O w/ 16"x600; TC/CVJ Extended Axles; TC Spindle Gussets; King 2.5 RR shocks; All-Pro Expendition Leaf Pack; Pelfreybilt Sliders; Anti-Dark LED Hood Light mod; LED map and dome light mod; Bed lights; TRD Cold Air Intake; KB Voodoo Tailgate cap system; HomerTaco Thin Lip "Raptor" grille; sPod SE System w/ LCD Touchscreen; Baja Design OnX6 40"; Baja Design S2; Rigid Industries LED Rock Lights; Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack; A.R.E. Z Series Camper Shell Projector BHLM Headlights (with custom wiring); Method Racing NVs 17"x 8.5; and Nitto Terra Grappers 265/60/17
    @Sandman614 has the bp51s. He can help you out on them. Good guy and a lot of knowledge.

My advice and just my opinion. I've had Icons before didn't care for them. When I went king for MT setup they were perfect. Now I still run them for my LT setup. Kings are the way to go in all four corners. And don't waste your money on AALs if your going to have a lot of weight in the rear. Go ahead and take the money you would spend on the Icon stage 4 kit on a good TC UCA, Kings all away around, and a leaf pack from someone (All-Pro, Alcan, Deaver, Atlas, wheelers, etc). Then if you want later get a LCA to go with the UCA. Just my opinion and advice to you.

5. Jan 18, 2017 at 4:29 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    I got kings all around and everytime Im in the vehicle I am happily reminded of my decision in King. I also have a few buddies who have Icon shocks...I don't envy them.

Coot

roadrashchic likes this.
  6. Jan 18, 2017 at 4:54 AM
    mrbedgood

mrbedgood Isaiah 6:8

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    Total Chaos +2" Long Travel Kit; King/TC 2.5 LT C/O w/ 16"x600; TC/CVJ Extended Axles; TC Spindle Gussets; King 2.5 RR shocks; All-Pro Expendition Leaf Pack; Pelfreybilt Sliders; Anti-Dark LED Hood Light mod; LED map and dome light mod; Bed lights; TRD Cold Air Intake; KB Voodoo Tailgate cap system; HomerTaco Thin Lip "Raptor" grille; sPod SE System w/ LCD Touchscreen; Baja Design OnX6 40"; Baja Design S2; Rigid Industries LED Rock Lights; Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack; A.R.E. Z Series Camper Shell Projector BHLM Headlights (with custom wiring); Method Racing NVs 17"x 8.5; and Nitto Terra Grappers 265/60/17
    One thing I have recently learned and started doing and I advise this to everyone. Call the companies first, talk to the people about the products they build. Mainly see who you talk to. Of all the products I run on my truck or am about to run, I have spoke to 6 company owners, b/c they answered the phone or was the second (the SME). All the other products very knowledgeable people and good customer service was demonstrated over the phone and afterwards to make me choice everyone of the companies I run and ditch a few old ones. I like companies that put the science of their products on their sites, so I can research and understand them better vs showing off trucks/people they sponsor. And no im not sponsored so I'm not saying all that to push anything, it is truly my opinion and how I've started building my rig.

roadrashchic likes this.
  7. Jan 18, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    roadrashchic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    Engine: K&N filter CAI Suspension: KING 2.5" Rem. Res. Ext. Travel Coilover w/Comp Adj (front and rear). Total Chaos Uni-Ball UCA’s and Deaver J66 1.5" Rear Leaf Pack. Tires: 285/75/16 BFG KO2's FUEL WHEELS D525 REVOLVER MATTE BLACK AND MILLED Exterior: Pelfreybilt sliders and hybrid front bumper/skid Front-runner Roof Rack, slim-line II, bed rack, tent, and 3 INCH LED 16W FLOOD LAMPS, (mounted to the hood via rentlentless fabrication mounts.) WishList: (pending soon..) bushwacker fender flares 40" LED bar winch rear high clearance bumper bigger tent with higher bed rack
    Thanks for this! This is what I was looking for !

8. Jan 18, 2017 at 7:24 PM
    roadrashchic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    KING 2.5" Rem. Res. Ext. Travel Coilover w/Comp Adj. (pair) (+$1,710.43)
    Choose Your Rear Lift Options: Deaver J66 1.5" Rear Leaf Pack (+$749.99)
    Choose Your Rear Shocks: KING 2.5" Remote Res. Rear Shocks (pair) (+$793.02)
    Choose Your Upper Control Arms: Total Chaos Uni-Ball UCA’s (+$684.55)

order placed... ooooooooh shiiiiiiit!!!!

9. Jan 19, 2017 at 3:42 AM
    Arcticelf

Arcticelf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gladiator
    Pics or it didn't happen :)

That looks like a very nice set up.

10. Feb 5, 2017 at 7:57 AM
    roadrashchic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    My hands are pretty beat up lmao and I didn't get to the rear yet... maybe I'll do that today and ditch the super bowl lol but holy moly that was a lot of work. Any tips on what to do with tire rubbing ? I don't really want to get rid of my mud flaps ?

IMG_5074.jpg

Coot83, Arcticelf and Ducman4x4 like this.
  11. Feb 5, 2017 at 7:58 AM
    roadrashchic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    Here she is put together (minus the rear)

Someone please tell me the rear leaf pack is easy to do? Lol

IMG_5076.jpg

12. Feb 5, 2017 at 8:04 AM
    phillstill

phillstill Long hair don't care

Member:
    First Name:
    Phill
    Tulsa
    Vehicle:
    Sweet Blue Coyote
    Untouched
    The rear can be a pain. I swapped leaf springs a few times by myself. You will want to use two sets of jack stands. One set for lifting the frame up and the other set for setting the axle on. The hardest part will be aligning the pin hole. Don't be afraid to wack the leafs and axle with a dead blow to help.

13. Feb 5, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    My Truck

My Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR DCSB 4x4 Super White`
    Nice setup and I'm digging those rims.
    Which ones are those if you don't mine me asking.

14. Feb 5, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    They look like the Fuel Revolvers

My Truck and roadrashchic like this.
  15. Feb 5, 2017 at 9:53 AM
    roadrashchic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    Yea I suckered into fuel... since I spent so much on the suspension lol

My Truck likes this.
  16. Feb 5, 2017 at 10:11 AM
    Boomkanani

Boomkanani Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Goldsboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB - 6 Speed
    Some stuffz
    I thought it was pretty easy to just jack up truck by the rear diff with a floor jack and only use jack stands on the frame. Just change out one side at a time and it makes it easier to realign the leaf spring guide pin

17. Feb 5, 2017 at 10:18 AM
    roadrashchic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    My dads trying to convince me to pay someone to do it lol I'm like f that ! Hold my beer! Hahaha

Hopefully the rear doesn't take me as long as the front did. (I was held up on the ball joint release from the spindle and then again on the resvoir holder didn't line up quite right)

18. Feb 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    3coma

3coma my kid says my truck is "Boss"

Member:
    First Name:
    rob
    Vehicle:
    19 dcsb sport cement 4x4
    What didn't line up right on the res holder? Mine came in Friday and I was expecting the horizontal brackets. DSM assured me these are the right ones though. Will be installing in a couple weeks. Thanks

19. Feb 5, 2017 at 12:43 PM
    roadrashchic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    I had to loosen the brackets that I guess hold up the front splash/rock guard so that the sway bar could be lower. For some reason I couldn't hold the res bracket flush to the frame cause if I did, the bolts wouldn't go in straight so I had to be able to not have the bracket flush and put bolts in while the bracket was hanging loose if thAt makes sense ... I have Kings. You get kings too?

20. Feb 5, 2017 at 12:45 PM
    roadrashchic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    boo-kay
    Vehicle:
    W
    watching a YouTube video and see the Rear diff being dropped down, I became discouraged lol

To Top